New favorite player home

piddy3825

I really like living on the Coastal Highway region of Great Bear Island.  You get plentiful wildlife, good fishing, consistent fuel sources and usually an abundance of predators.  There's typically three wolves that frequent the gas station in addition to a meandering bear and an occasional moose.   Every morning when I open the door to leave the gas station I gotta be on my toes for wolf attack.  Gets a little old after a while, right?   So, one morning as I slip out to collect firewood,  I decide to check out that house up the hill... 

screen_7193da57-4baa-4f93-bf20-149ba5b9b40a_hi.thumb.png.46eaa317f4da95d320110227fb4452e3.png

Glad I did, too.  Best decision I've made so far.  Although the house doesn't have a fireplace or a stove, Al Fresco dining doesn't bother me.  The weather does have an impact on food and water prep, but then the building does provide decent shelter from the wind allowing me to maintain a fire during some harsh conditions.   The railing around the perimeter of the house is a good physical barrier as well.  I'm also able to store fresh meat supplies up off the ground so predators can't get to the them.  I use every opportunity to gather wood for fuel and there's plenty of wood nearby that replenishes itself every 2-3 days.  I typically can pick up 60 sticks, 9 cedar and 3 fir logs on a typical sweep.  

Now, I have been living out of this house for a while now and so far I haven't seen a single wolf when I open the door to come out.  I have seen the bear meandering along the road on a few occasions as I've exited the house, but mostly I see a couple of deer and that comes in handy too.  Just behind the house is a little trail, that although a little step is very manageable even over encumbered.  As you drop down, you can see the whole layout of the station and you have the height advantage over the wolves that patrol the area.  I only use the station now for crafting.  I call this house home.

So where's your favorite player house?  comments and feedback greatly encouraged and appreciated.  thanks for reading

I prefer the house down the hill (if it's not burned out!) on the edge of the townsite - the one with the little veranda on the front. It has a fireplace, more storage, and generally feels more homely to me than the one up the hill. Plus it has a good view of the townsite itself from the front door, where you are safe from wolves and bears on immediate exit.

6 hours ago, Pillock said:

I prefer the house down the hill (if it's not burned out!) on the edge of the townsite - the one with the little veranda on the front. It has a fireplace, more storage, and generally feels more homely to me than the one up the hill. Plus it has a good view of the townsite itself from the front door, where you are safe from wolves and bears on immediate exit.

I do like that one as well, but it always seems to be burned up in most of my play throughs.   So far, besides a couple of deer, I have not had one wolf sighting when i leave the house, although I have seen a bear on multiple occasions.

3 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

New Base: Log sort. Found a wind proof location directly behind the trailer. So many wolves yet no bears. So you can lure them all in and then snipe them as you wish. Not quite sure why I'm collecting hundreds of these pelts, but hey, details.

Outstanding!  I'm always building fires near the door, never bothered to check the back to find a wind proof location.  Gonna have to check that out as well.  Only issue I have with location is proximity to a work bench.  seems like a long walk to either the fishing village or the gas station.  Which one do you usually use when your camped out at the log sort trailer?

6 hours ago, Pillock said:

This is my personal favorite, and yeah, it seems that 9 times out of 10 it's burnt down. If it is, there's an identical one that spawns by the waterfront Cottages, although that one isn't as centrally located.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Outstanding!  I'm always building fires near the door, never bothered to check the back to find a wind proof location.  Gonna have to check that out as well.  Only issue I have with location is proximity to a work bench.  seems like a long walk to either the fishing village or the gas station.  Which one do you usually use when your camped out at the log sort trailer?

Oh. Right behind the trailer is a stump and a tree up against a little alcove of rock. Only one way in. The fire, if you put it in the lowest part of that little area is wind proof. Or rather, has not blown out yet. I can feel the wind, but the fire is low enough it does not. As for the crafting table, I usually make base at the quonset for the 5 wolves, 2 bears and 1 moose. Yes, every time you step outside you put your life in your hands, but its a steady supply of kills.

The Log Sort is a bit of a... hunting trip? You know, like when you need to blow off cabin fever you go to a fishing hut? Well, the fishing huts get dull after a while, and unfortunately, the two fishing huts on CH that have doors are both close enough to attract bears. I much prefer it when I get a door WAY out on the ice. The one between the two islands? That one is the best to have a door. I like loading up with about 20 rotting meat fragments at .01 kg each and just wander the ice, luring in wolves, but the damn bears make that a bitch. So I have to kill them first.

But log sort? Never had a bear come there no matter HOW many fragments of meat I have.  So I can lure in wolf after wolf and arrow to the face them all. Honestly, I don't know why I do it. I mean, I'm going for 1000 days and I'm at 853. I should just hibernate in a cave for the next 150 days and get it over with, but for some god forsaken reason I can't just waste the time. I keep going on side trips to get more birch bark from Ravine. I mean, needless risk, but... dunno. fishing for more fish because... dunno. Just keep spreading out the water and food drops in ever increasing circles. Almost got every indoors location with water and food for a week. Working on every fishing hut. Laid down a trail of tinder plugs/charcoal/feathers crisscrossing the damn ice. Keep swinging by the mines to gather more coal.  Honestly, don't even need it at this point but... it passes the time.

• Upvote 1