Bedroll... What do I do with this thing?

Jbronco

Hello All,

Just spent the morning some posts and it seems like a lot of you brave the outdoors and sleep outside.

I don't think I've slept outside once. My longest run has been 15 days, but death is due to wolves so I cant really pin down what in my play style keeps getting me killed.

Anyways like the title says, I don't know what to do with my bedroll. I typically like to sleep indoors because its warmer and that's where my supplies are. Plus, I don't really like the idea of being out at night without a fire or a fire that burns out in the middle of the night.

The bedroll is heavy and if I don't use it why keep it? Am I missing something? I normally keep it in a fishing hut just in case.

What do you all think? How often do you sleep outside and why? Convince me to stop sleeping in others peoples beds!

Sleeping outside is silly, if you ask me. I normally leave my bedroll in the dam, since it is the only large structure on either map that doesn't have a bed.

In the first 5-10 days its good to have, because getting caught outdoors in a blizzard can be quickly fatal, and sometimes you have to seek shelter in a broken-down structure or a fishing hut or whatever. Once you craft some decent clothing, it isn't really needed.

• 2 months later...
And PV is a death sentence without a bedroll, nothing worse than being stuck in a cave due to a blizzard and not able to sleep.

Happened to me twice! That's when I went back to the dam to get my sleeping bag and started carrying it. I've never carried it around before, never felt the need. In PV, when doing some exploring you need that thing!

On a side note: has anyone noted how blizzards only seem to last 1-2 hours if you sleep an hour at a time, while they can go on for 6-10 hours when you stay awake? Or maybe I just have very bad luck with this.

First time I got stuck in a cave, it was 16 something hours when the blizzard struck. I ran back to the cave I'd passed a while back and started a fire. The blizzard lasted until 1. By then it was obviously pitch black outside so I decided to wait until first light and make my way back.

I had already ran out of food and was starving. I was also exhausted from lack of sleep and foraging fire wood. At 5 it started to get lighter and just as I decided it was time for me to make my way back to the Farmstead, another blizzard struck. My condition was starting to get low so I had no choice but to brave the storm. Luckily it wasn't that far and there were enough landmarks visible to find my way. Just as I saw the Farmstead, the blizzard stopped... :evil:

Just another day in paradise :)

On a side note: has anyone noted how blizzards only seem to last 1-2 hours if you sleep an hour at a time, while they can go on for 6-10 hours when you stay awake? Or maybe I just have very bad luck with this.

yes I noticed a similar thing. What I suspect is that the duration for the blizzard has nothing todo with the ingame time of the day. The game engine might decide to start a blizzard for 10 minutes (real time) and not for 5 hours ingame time. It doesn't matter if you sleep 2 or 20 hours during this 10 minutes, the blizzard will only be over when those 10 minutes passed. It might further be that the engine decides to start another blizzard at 9am (ingame) for 10 minutes (real time), thus one might get the illusion that the same blizzard is going on for days.

During my last two runs I've spent a good 50 days in caves stuck by blizzards, this is the only explaination I could find for this. Well except for that the game hates you and will generate one blizzard after another as long as you are outside or in a cave. I hope the former is true but after days in a cave without a break from blizzards it sure feels more like the latter :D

Archived