Aurora

peteloud

Throughout my many days in the wintry wastes I have ignored the Aurora & flashlight apart from entering special bunkers.  I just stay in my bed trying to sleep.

What special opportunities are there in the Aurora and can you do anything useful with the flashlight?

The flashlight is useful to search buildings for loot without using lamp oil or lighting a torch.  Also, the aurora lights up interior locations, so you can craft or break things down without a separate light source.  The radios become operable, if you want to listen to music.  And if I'm just going from one place to another, such as moving to a new region to stay for a few months, I prefer to travel during an aurora.  The flashlight on high power repels wolves.  Also, don't forget the collectible buffer memories. You can only acquire those during an aurora.

" The flashlight on high power repels wolves.  . . . "

That could be very useful.   All of the other effects I had noticed and use, but I regard them as trivial, but repelling wolves would be extremely useful in Stalker.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

The flashlight on high power repels wolves.

Hmm, perhaps I have a bug then?  ...the most I can get out of the high beam is the wolves will stop their approach, but they don't flee.   Instead they just stand their ground snarling menacingly.  I find that to get them to flee I have to "lead" them to another electric light source before my battery runs dead from trying to hold them off.  If they are supposed to flee, it has never worked for me.

Edited by ManicManiac

Just now, ManicManiac said:

Hmm, perhaps I have a bug then?  ...the most I can get out of the high beam is the wolves will stop their approach, but they don't flee they just stand their ground snarling menacingly.  I find that to get them to flee I have to "lead" them to another electric light source before my battery runs dead from trying to hold it off.  If they are supposed to flee, it has never worked for me.

I think the game rolls the dice every couple seconds or something, since sometimes it takes longer than others.  It's probably similar to throwing a torch or stone or something. Sometimes the wolf ignores it, sometimes they are scared off immediately.

@ajb1978
Thanks, I'll start experimenting with it again and put a little more faith in it's usefulness.
Up to this point I would only move from light source to light source and use the flashlight as a last resort to keep them at bay as I go between the "safe spots."  Knowing it has more potential, but just had some bad luck with it is more reassuring. 

Edited by ManicManiac

Guest kristaok

The Auroras is beautiful, I like to take pictures of it... but other than that I will admit it freaks me out especially with the noise it plays so I usually just run in and hide / sleep it away.

7 minutes ago, kristaok said:

The Auroras is beautiful, I like to take pictures of it... but other than that I will admit it freaks me out especially with the noise it plays so I usually just run in and hide / sleep it away.

I think it works as intended: the auroras show the beauty of Nature and how overwhelming it can be -- beauty and fear in equal parts.

Guest kristaok
4 hours ago, LilWolf said:

I think it works as intended: the auroras show the beauty of Nature and how overwhelming it can be -- beauty and fear in equal parts.

Yea I definitely don't hate the Auroras :P they just freak me out is all.