Canoe

Rayde

I know it would have very limited application, and probably be more trouble than it's worth to implement, but a canoe would be really cool to use on the coastal parts.  

Although, come to think of it, perhaps a land based equivalent wouldn't be too bad.  A sled, pulled by the player.  Makes you go slower, but allows you to haul a ton of stuff.  I guess it would only be useful for moving your base camp or hauling back a huge kill.  

Like I said, this might not be the most implementable idea, but I just think it's neat.

There is literally a thread, suggesting a player-pulled sled already. Id suggest sticking to one thread. :) 

Canoe would be useless. You cant even touch running water without going straight into the mode of having all your clothes wet, and getting hypothermia risk instantly. Not to mention you cant even walk close to an open water because of weak ice. It wouldnt have limited use, it would be nigh-useless. Besides, what would be the point of getting a canoe, when there are tons of "boats" around the place already, just turned over? all one would have to do is build a fire close by to thaw them off the ground, then push the boat to the water - and you would be able to enter a boat, which would be much more stable on the water then the canoe.

The idea of a sled has been voiced by many, with many different forms, by the Community here, and on Steam, and other forums, for some time. I agree, it would make life easier, in some respects, and more difficult in others. Canoes have been brought up fr a while too, and while I was once in favor of them,the more I considered ti, it made no d sense to add them. In coastal areas we have rowboats laying around, beached, or stowed. If seasons and water travel became possible, it would make more sense to give us the ability to repair those, and add a few more paddles to the game, rather than just the few at the Orca station.

But in the Arctic Winter, everlasting, that we have now? How would you dock your boat? You would be traveling in waters likely filled with debris or ice chunks, your landings near open water would put you on weak ice, and if you broke the weak ice to dock or beach your boat and tie it to a tree or rock, the next day, your boat would be trapped in the newly frozen ice. We would need seasons, where the ice melted, and made water travel more plausible. And we are not likely to get that in this game, maybe a future game, perhaps.  

The sled(ge) or travois has more merit to it, IMHO.

Guest kristaok

Technically there's nothing but grayness beyond the Water any way... so you can't truly go anywhere by way of Water.... :/ 

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Wouldn't stop people (like me) from trying! 🤓

Lol! I can see myself paddling for hours, hoping that the horizon would eventually change, and I just found the biggest Easter Egg in the game, The Hinterland Studio offices in Vancouver, proper. Where I would be greeted by an angry Moose at the door. ;)

Archived