Heat from stove in fishing hut.

peteloud

I recently went night-fishing in TWM to avoid cabin fever.  It was a cold night and I was surprised not to gain any warmth benefit from the burning stove.  (I was playing a custom game, Stalker with reduced wolves.)

I expect to gain a warmth benefit from being next to a fire  so I was puzzled by this lack of warmth. 

Was my lack of warmth benefit from the fishing hut stove normal?

screen_(972, 151, 467)_f0b04f7c-b112-4b0f-a839-050318c78db0.png

screen_(972, 151, 467)_0a0f243a-d339-4661-a5d2-1f9d0ce4f6ba.png

3 hours ago, peteloud said:

Was my lack of warmth benefit from the fishing hut stove normal?

From the picture the stove is only at plus six degrees.  The feels like is minus three.  Just need to stoke the fire with a few more sticks and get that fire above plus nine. 

It does seems kinda weird standing next to a fire and not getting warm.  It is the game mechanics and the setting for Fire Stops Freezing would need to be altered to Yes.

My first decently successful stalker almost froze to death by taking a nap near a pot bellied stove in a wrecked hut. From what I've learned a single log gives off less heat than a bunch of sticks, for the same duration. What you put in the stove does matter.

38 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

What you put in the stove does matter.

Yes that is correct.  Coal is one of the highest heat output source and sticks the lowest.  Does not matter what fuel is used it all burns the same once placed into the fire.  The feels like temperature only changes if the ambient temperature drops or by windchill.

Freezing to death can happen if you are just hovering above zero feels like temperature.  Early mornings the ambient temperature drops and if you did not have a hot enough fire the feels like drops accordingly.  Best to sleep with a fire that gives a wide margin, above ten degree Celsius feels like temperature should be fine. 

Also wind is a factor and a fishing hut with no door can have wide temperature swings during a blizzard.  Increase the feels like temperature to twenty degree Celsius margin.

Usually a ten hour fire made from sticks produces enough heat to survive the cold from inside a fishing hut.  The maximum temperature of a pot belly stove is eighty degree Celsius.  When the fire is stoked that hot it is just like a sauna. Stripped down to undies and the feels like temperature is always above freezing even during a day one hundred interloper blizzard when inside a fishing hut with no door.  :fire:

32 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

Yes that is correct.  Coal is one of the highest heat output source and sticks the lowest.  Does not matter what fuel is used it all burns the same once placed into the fire. 

I thought every fuel item you added to the fire added its heat bonus to the temperature, thus giving a dozen of sticks the advantage over two logs. It's not like that?

56 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

I thought every fuel item you added to the fire added its heat bonus to the temperature, thus giving a dozen of sticks the advantage over two logs.

edit:

That is not correct the two logs have longer burn duration and are lighter than a dozen sticks.  

Six sticks equal the same heat as one cedar log but the log last twenty minutes longer.  Six sticks also weigh 400 grams heavier.

Two cedar logs

screen_861b2fcf-5505-4367-992b-9ec1ca70be88.thumb.png.f99cc86a1bc67ff3c5f28c1d7d0cf29a.png

Twelve sticks

screen_df02decd-2f95-4f4f-9943-2f52b57b6337.thumb.png.4864a8301716faa4e5a5a7fb99490c27.png

screen_da1b03c8-6b5a-4ea4-b4b3-4010e68a3d5e.thumb.png.b9aac5c974d3f5404cfdd7a726dab99a.png

There is another advantage to carrying logs instead of sticks; stealth.  I am not certain and needs further testing but carrying sticks seem to trigger the aggressive let's play fetch instinct in wolves.  The sticks do make more noise and it seems to me this sound is picked up on by wolves.  The same way they respond to door slams.

I use fir if I'm going to sleep, unless its a blizzard, then I'll use coal.  Cedar is good for just messing around.  Sticks can save your life and don't need tools.  They all have their uses but...

Cedar heats +10 F (almost +11) for 60 min (base)

Fir heats +16F for 90 min (base)

Coal heats +36F for 60 min (base)

I had just left TWM and was at PV farmhouse so I decided to investigate the warmth benefits in a derelict building, cave and fishing hut.  I checked the old building near the farmhouse then headed towards the lake. I was over the road when I was surprised and mauled by a bear. Before he had a second go at eating me I managed to get an arrow into him, he still gave me a second mauling, but he died in the process.  I staggered to the bear cave on the point of dying from wounds and cold.  The cold was bad because most of my clothes were badly damaged.

I had a night in the bear cave where I recovered, a bit, then headed back to the farmhouse.  On the way back I saw another bear prowling near the orchard.  I managed to avoid him, only to suffer an attack by multiple wolves.  I thought that I was safe in that conservatory on the kitchen, so had the door open to try and get an arrow into a wolf.  I wasn't safe, the wolf attacked me and chewed me and my clothes up badly.  There must have been at least another two wolves in that pack because I fended off several attacks, using up all but one of my arrows.  I managed to get the rifle from the kitchen, with which I shot another wolf, or was it two. 

Then the second  bear approached.  When the bear was near I had three ineffective shots at him with the rifle.  As he strolled off a long range shot with my last arrow killed him.  I was lucky there.

. . .  and all that was just a ". . . little diversion to check on the warmth benefits . . . ".

Back in the PV farmhouse trying to recover myself and clothes from that brief holiday reminded me of my current No.1 complain about TLD.

In daytime, when there is bright sunshine outside,  the interior of the farmhouse is always very dark.  Sometime I can make out things that I have dropped, but often I can't.  Even in daytime I often need the lantern to find things.  I have reported the bug more than once, but no improvement yet. As the farmhouse is a very popular base for many people I think that fixing that problem should be high priority.

I presume that others have a similar problem.

Archived