do the bears hunt animals? (I think they don't)

reginaphalange

Wikis I read online say there is no evidence of bears hunting (or doing anything but walking or trying to kill you). But while taking in some sunshine in back of the PV farmhouse, I watched my backyard wolves run in terror from the ambling bear (which on Pilgrim respawned WAY too soon for me to bother to kill it). I figure if an animal runs from another animal, it knows it to be a threat (rabbits & deer run from wolves). But I've never seen animal carcasses near bears as you do for wolves. Black bears are omnivores and do eat animals:

American black bears are omnivorous: plants, fruits, nuts, insects, honey, salmon, small mammals and carrion. In northern regions, they eat spawning salmon. Black bears will also occasionally kill young deer or moose calves.

https://defenders.org/black-bear/basic-facts

I almost wish we'd see bears doing more than just ambling. I know it would require more AI work, but it would be cool to see them fishing or taking down a deer or rabbit... and then we could shoot at the bear and steal its food. 

I wonder if bears would also steal our rosehips, mushrooms, and cattails from us, if animated to do so. 

As many stated before, the bear's purpose in life is to show who's the boss, and that's why it scares everything off and gives survivors brutal non-lethal beatings. That, and stealing cat tails (since there's no toothbrush) from your backpack when you sleep, wiping its butt with them and putting them back in place.

LockUp.jpg

Bears try to hunt goats but are reluctant and very hesitant. 

This younger Grizzly bear thinks that baby goat is tender milk fed treat.

quote from @reginaphalange

I wonder if bears would also steal our rosehips, mushrooms, and cattails from us, if animated to do so. 

The idea of having competition for food is right on.  Bears eating berries and cattail stalks would be an interesting sight.

15 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

The idea of having competition for food is right on.  Bears eating berries and cattail stalks would be an interesting sight.

We're competing with the wolves for the herbivores. The bears should be stealing everything else, and they wouldn't think twice about tearing our pack apart whilst we sleep in a cave. (Fire doesn't scare bears in the game, iirc). But since we can also lay out meat on the snow without fear of theft (depending), we just tell ourselves we hang our packs in a tree and pack our meat in snow mounds. I guess. :-/

Archived