Abandoned Harris Home

Ice Hole

The abandoned Harris home has left me with questions.

The area seems to be comprised of four houses.  Three are clustered and have a swings for children along with a picnic table.  The other house is further back off the road and closer to the mine.

The first home seems to have been the the Harris home and the other two homes could have been for the mine workers.

The home that is close to the mine could be for security.

With the road collapsed that would make the mine the only way to access Desolation Point. 

Were the Harris family charging a toll? 

Was this the reason the buildings have been abandoned and all burned?

screen_4d16112b-615e-462a-8cf2-2af90fbf0ea0_hi.thumb.png.bfde7d5aa33f7ae99ff60745789e3f65.png

Share any ideas you have with this area.

screen_0d2683ef-7778-43ea-8d75-eb795d3c5e2f_hi.thumb.png.c72dade5e5ed326768b1867a7e492a1b.pngscreen_2cd6961b-28fe-4258-8cc6-68404c3149c5_hi.thumb.png.6f04b42145b52d15e029cb6657a91537.pngscreen_0422e875-88cf-48ae-b0f3-a7735e88cd6b_hi.thumb.png.f2159668ae948a3cb3622433cddfbb59.pngscreen_d73103d2-1800-4925-80b5-ad14cdcee9d8_hi.thumb.png.93de9ed52f56443fabd3bfcfdb58cb88.pngscreen_af20afa0-a4e1-48a5-8fd9-b9bfc87ecead_hi.thumb.png.a5b31af4e6c414d79a576750f58aefc7.pngscreen_5d103b25-f80f-4017-a541-ab3da19f42be_hi.thumb.png.76387107c9d059eafb5cc8576aa83f49.png

Raphael when describing the Old Island Connector stated it was a burned down forest. Presumably some sort of electrical fire happened and lit the entire forest and all the houses up. It makes sense, seeing as all the trees are either felled or have a lack of snowy foliage. The fire most likely came from the second earthquake knocking down all the electrical poles, the same can be most likely said for the coastal town. The blocked road also came during the second quake, the guy in the light house said the roads up here hadn't collapsed like the ones further south or what not. Not sure why they would charge a toll, would that even be legal? But then again we haven't seen any sort of police or military presence so far, Great Bear is a hypothermic, lawless land! Kinda makes you wish to see some sort of Mad Max fights in CH, perhaps with sleighs and sled dogs? Blowing each other up with rifles, bows, and wolf cannons, id say "Someone should mod that," but then the Admin would get mad at lil' ol' me :(

13 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Presumably some sort of electrical fire happened and lit the entire forest and all the houses up. It makes sense, seeing as all the trees are either felled or have a lack of snowy foliage. 

The blocked road also came during the second quake, the guy in the light house said the roads up here hadn't collapsed like the ones further south or what not. Not sure why they would charge a toll, would that even be legal?

The forest does seem burnt however there are some anomalies.  

screen_ca025527-f02b-492a-92fc-159601bd6568_hi.thumb.png.9852113e242e971b79b7ea797bbd2a39.png

The trees on the far side do have snow and leaves on the branches.

screen_c436f67a-b32a-4966-bfd2-0f79f9ec2059_hi.thumb.png.907fb988dc62225d5763808475c7b736.png

The issue is how did the fire jump over to this island.

After the second quake is were life on Great Bear became harder for the remaining people.   

My theory begins previous to the quake.  Life was difficult since electrical power was no longer reliable.  The old fashioned wood/coal fuel burning fly wheel turning belt drive type power generators were being implemented.  Any internal combustion engine that had carburettor instead of fuel injection could still be a viable option.  Whale oil could have been processed into a fuel for the trucks, cars and tractors.  All vehicles are the same make and model so these must have been the vehicles that had carburettors and minimal electrical controls.  All other vehicles became obsolete.  Then the quake hits and the road to Hibernia was broken.  The Harris family were already powerful selling coal from their mines; more than likely they controlled three of the coal mines.  Their competitors were Hibernia.  Hibernia commissioned the Riken vessel to bypass the Harris Toll and to transport the oil to the Quonset Gas Station in Coastal Highway.  The retaliation from the Harris family was double ended.  Wreck the Riken.  This would stop the wholesale slaughter of whales and shipment of the oil.  

13 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Must be 2 homes (1 doesn't have fireplace) for a team of NGO-sponsored biologists (and their families) that stay here to make sure not more Whale hunting is made in DP compared to what is legal.

The lack of fireplace could mean that a pot belly stove was being used and the stove pipe got knocked down and buried beneath the rubble.

The Harris family made a protest against Hibernia to slow down on the slaughter of whales.  Enlisting the NGO to fight for their side.

But the plan was to make them a monopoly on fuel.

Thanks for adding the information. I was not aware of these tidbits.

P.S.

These two words are pure gold:

Wolf Cannon

2 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

The issue is how did the fire jump over to this island.

I am by no means an expert on forest fires. But I believe hot embers can get airborne and travel a bit of distance. The wind could have just been blowing in that one direction. I am not 100% familiar with the area tree placement, is there forest adjacent to the other island that isn't 'burnt' were the wind should of carried embers?

Also I know at least for fireworks during shows in the US July 4th they will not do them if there is high wind as the emberscan travel far.  Where I live is near the Great Lakes and they even set them off a quarter mile off the coast for added safety.

Also I love the story about the Harris family toll and the Riken really cool :) 

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, FunkyFuggerson said:

wolf cannons

Still wanting to know what a Wolf Cannon looks like.  Are cannons that are shaped as wolves shooting cannon balls. Or cannons shaped like wolves shooting wolf shaped balls.  Or wolves that shoot cannon balls.  Or wolves that shoot other smaller wolves out of their mouth.

Pictures really are needed as I am now suffering from imaginary deficiency syndrome.

It's a cannon that shoots wolves as projectiles. They were used mostly in the war of 1812 when the US tried to invade Canada, but they fell out of favor after WW 1 with the invention of automatic weapons. Especially when the wolves proved to be ill equipped to handle Poison Gas. Putting a gas mask on a wolf just never really worked so the Dominion Arsenal Company discontinued the Wolf Cannon and switched over production to the Hout-Ross Automatic Rifle. The Hout-Ross is much more practical with it's 25 round over the barrel ammo drum, as well as the fact the ammunition never tries to bite your face off.

However, old wolf cannons still remain in use to this day, as long as they are well maintained. A sign of real craftsmanship and the amount of time and dedication taken to produce each cannon. Back then they were made by hand, you see. You often see them in War reenactments, but due to Federal regulations protecting wolf populations, they almost always use rubber molds that resemble wolves.

Archived