mellowing a deer for labor

Yang_Tomoe

How about subduing an animal to pull a cart or a Travois?

Deer, wolves and bear can all be broken if you are willing to put in the effort.

But......forget about the moose. That's just not happening.

All sorts of fun mechanics could be added into this game expansion.

Domestication, mutual protection, even earning the trust of animals. Perhaps we could find hay in a barn to use to feed animals. Oh there are so many possibilities!

hqdefault.jpg

Alaskan_Malamutes_Pulling_Sled.jpg

Then again perhaps moose pulling things is not so off the wall after all....

moose-logging.jpg?w=470

%C3%84lgenStolta.jpg

human-zoo3_custom-c073a010d1ab5659538a24

457029_4ee7.jpg

Riding a deer might not be possible, but what about riding the moose? He seems big enough! Bimbobjoejr's idea is not Stupid! I think it was an excellent suggestion. After all this IS a suggestion area! That's so Rude Gnomegnine! If the DEVs did not want suggestions there would not be a Wish list area!

Honestly though i think that using the animals to pull gear is more useful.

Nationals_011.jpg

I don't know. It always sounds like a great idea, but unrealistic, in terms of what 'realism" the game has in it already. It isn't easy to tame a fully grown, wild animal, of any type, that is not acting "normally", tends to be even more unpredictable when the sky lights up at night, and IRL can take a professional, skilled animal trainer months to be able to work with that animal with any relative safety. Having a Beast Taming System like Far Cry: Primal has fits that game. To me, it would totally not fit this one, and would be a bit too unrealistic, even with the magic water bottles and such.

IF we had baby animals, that we could find, rescue, and raise from a very young age... then I could see it. But already hostile fully grown animals. being trained by our untrained, unskilled survivors? I can't see it. And it would need weeks to months of in-game time. "Insta-tame" would be far too fake for this game. And would remove any challenge of dealing with wild animals in the game. Why hunt them or deal with struggles, if you can insta-tame them, and them shoot them in the face, to make dinner out of them? Too open for abuse, too much of the basic challenge and planning needed for the game removed. 

I don't support this as it was described above. But I would support it if there was a very rare chance of finding a young animal, rescuing it, needing to take good care of it and maintain its stats, as well as our own, so it didn't die, and could grow up, to become a working animal and/or companion, with the chance that if we neglect it, it may revert to its instinctive animal behaviors. (Don't feed your young wolf or bear, and it may decide you smell tasty again...).

53 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I don't support this as it was described above. But I would support it if there was a very rare chance of finding a young animal, rescuing it, needing to take good care of it and maintain its stats, as well as our own, so it didn't die, and could grow up, to become a working animal and/or companion, with the chance that if we neglect it, it may revert to its instinctive animal behaviors. (Don't feed your young wolf or bear, and it may decide you smell tasty again...).

Yeah. 

There are so many other mechanics that would need to be in place before this idea could be even remotely possible, that it just seems too distant a prospect to even consider in the game as it is now. 

You want a tame animal to pull a sledge or cart. You need to overhaul the physics to allow for sledges and carts to move. You need to overhaul the inventory system to allow you to use them. You need to add a system for finding and taming young animals. You need a system that even includes young animals. You need to overhaul the wild animal ai so that it can react to your tame animal. You need a separate ai for the tame animal itself. You need to change the maps to allow your animal and vehicle to transition between them. You need to simulate the health of the tame animal - hunger, thirst, fatigue, (loyalty?) - and make ui for it. And you need to balance it against all the survival obstacles that are currently in the game and planned for the future, without spoiling the dynamic and atmosphere that makes the game appeal as we know it. 

It just doesn't seem very plausible to me. At all. 

Archived