Snares in Desolation Point?

BareSkin

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on some Interloper adventure in Desolation Point (only). It's been nearly 5 days my two snares on little island didn't produce anything. I've tried one just in front of the maple spawn "corridor" (on the side you find rabbits naturally), one where there's the corpse/carcass spawn, another one on the "beach" of the second island (the one touching the liquid water shore).

Have I only been unlucky or it's not a rabbit spawn?

I know the church might be another spot, but I have to live in Desolation Point only, on interloper so it's not a long term solution (temperatures, limited matches, no mag lens...). No hammer = no forged tools = no weapon so I must avoid patrolled zones.

screen_a443ada4-f1a0-4c22-80e1-020599790990.png

13 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Have I only been unlucky

Looking at the screenshot, it may help to crouch and observe the "pathing" of a rabbit. The bunny-pathing tends to include the grassy areas.
Not sure if DP /  the island is useful for snares as compared to the mainland.
You might also try Katie's secluded corner located across the road from church.
Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

23 minutes ago, s7mar7in said:

You might also try Katie's secluded corner located across the road from church.

Same problem as the church, the road to there is wolfy since the first nearby bed is the Lighthouse. And I'm not good at repelling wolves with my stones. Thanks for the advice anyway :D

6 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Same problem as the church, the road to there is wolfy since the first nearby bed is the Lighthouse.

Just for fun, started a new Interloper run, started in DP, then Hibernia, then crossed road to the mine, then exit the mine and crossed road to Katie's secluded corner, and did not see any wolves. Early in a new game of course, good luck my friend. :coffee: 

Yes that would make me die because of no matches, even if I spent everytime only one match for the mine and not freezing at Katie's. What I'm looking for is a long-term solution. Going to Katie everyday, is being wolf sooner or later while crossing the road to the mine, or when leaving at Katie's with smellies on me. Since you only have 1 can for water, matches and fuel is actually a big deal.

Try more snares t once in the same place. I've gone several days without catching anything at places like Trapper's Homestead, where I know for sure you can catch rabbits, if I'm only using one or two snares at a time. Placing more of them seems to up your success chances quite a lot.

They won't all be successful all of the time, but some of them will work some of the time, and the more you have, the higher the chance of a catch. Blanket the place!

(That said, I've always found it very difficult - if not impossible - to live on any one single food source. Rabbiting alone may not be enough, however many snares you use, or however much you abuse the starvation/condition regain system.)

Yeah, it takes time to build up supplies! But off the top of my head, there are at least 5 possible places for deer carcasses to spawn in DP, probably more. I doubt you get all then at once in one game, but keep searching and keep stone-hunting, I guess. There's sometimes a cured gut in a container in one of the mine tunnels as well.

I've had the waterfall one, and Katie's one. The little island one wasn't there, nor the one at the wolfed bay under the lighthouse. I didn't explore the broken bridge yet. Had no gt in the mine, but I had a firestriker which even at 33% is golden in a Desolation-only run :D. I have two more guts curing in the mine, if I live long enough I'll try adding two snares.

I was just wondering if anyone had snared a rabbit there, or not.

I have a feeling that snares are currently glitched in survival mode for new starts after Vigilant Flame - check my (Voyageur 1000-day) youtube series where I dropped a line of 3 snares between the bank and house facing Grey Mother's in Milton on about day 20.  They were still there (not triggered or destroyed) at day 159 when I picked them up for the move to HRV, despite having spent about 85 days in Milton interspersed with batches of time on ML, FM, Ravine, etc.
In a couple of episodes, the rabbits can be seen running between the snares (even though they were almost touching each other on the corner of the house the rabbits pathed round). 

In another similar long run on Twitch, the snares worked fine at Meadows Farm, but again refused to catch anything in town.
The main difference between the two runs is that the Twitch run is a roll-over from pre-Vigilant Flame, whereas the YouTube run began after the Vigilant Flame patch dropped.

Archived