Bury Corpses. And then...

Willy Pete

So I think I've seen the idea of doing something more with bodies come up before, and I definitely think that we should be able to dispose of them in some way (I hate having to see the body of some frozen dude every time I go into my base, really puts a damper on the mood). 

Once you've searched a body, you should have the option to bury it. This process takes a significant amount of time and energy and requires a tool (perhaps you could even add a shovel to the game that would make this easier), but once you've done it the body is gone. At the minimum, this is all you'd need, but then I had the idea of having some sort of reward for this respectable task.

That being that after you bury a body and X amount of time passes, a new body appears somewhere on the map. There'd be no guarantee that it would have anything on it, the gear would be the same as any other corpse, but you could then bury this body and so on and so forth, a potential and demanding way to acquire special resources other than beach-combing. 

Guest Gamer935

I know what u mean about it putting a dampner on the mood and I think it would be a pretty good idea to bury them as maybe you get a skill increase of your choice or something like that 

22 hours ago, Cr41g said:

you would need more than a shovel to bury the dead mid-winter here...

I am hoping a solution for that dilemma might be to make seasons and have them warm enough the perma frost is thawed,  maybe besides the warm seasons you can do this in colder months still, maybe an ice pick would be necessay to get them out of the ice, or fire nnear them. just like the deer need to thaw out sometimes, another thing that might give people a reason to do this is if you can get a/some lower medium to higher quality base layer/s (common) mid layer/s (uncommon) and coat/s (rare). 

ps. I think this game is mature enough to handle the idea of cannibalism and immoral(sometimes necessary for survival) actions. Why not add the abiliity to eat the meat, use the bones for knives and other things like traps and stuff of the sort, hair and skin for clothing craft and intestines for string/rope making? I'm not trolling, I think this might actually make for a really interesting part of the story where you need to survive and have to eat this corpse and use all you can of the remains of this person to survive, maybe a cave is collapsed or you are stuck in a chasm or something else crazy.

Guest Gamer935
14 minutes ago, WillDakenzie2000 said:

ps. I think this game is mature enough to handle the idea of cannibalism and immoral(sometimes necessary for survival) actions. Why not add the abiliity to eat the meat, use the bones for knives and other things like traps and stuff of the sort, hair and skin for clothing craft and intestines for string/rope making? I'm not trolling, I think this might actually make for a really interesting part of the story where you need to survive and have to eat this corpse and use all you can of the remains of this person to survive, maybe a cave is collapsed or you are stuck in a chasm or something else crazy.

True as if you are absolutely starving you would eat anything you can as the human survival instinct is too strong 

10 hours ago, WillDakenzie2000 said:

PS. I think this game is mature enough to handle the idea of cannibalism and immoral(sometimes necessary for survival) actions. Why not add the ability to eat the meat, use the bones for knives and other things like traps and stuff of the sort, hair and skin for clothing craft and intestines for string/rope making? I'm not trolling, I think this might actually make for a really interesting part of the story where you need to survive and have to eat this corpse and use all you can of the remains of this person to survive, maybe a cave is collapsed or you are stuck in a chasm or something else crazy.

Yes. Most hunters and trappers like the majority of people that live on great bear island would want to be made into something interesting.

8 hours ago, Cr41g said:

and IRL many have....

Do you want to tell us about his 3 days-old pepperoni pizza?:D

For the corpses, yes I'd like to harvest them (maybe not for meat), not only "loot". And/or "bury" them under snow if you have a shovel, there's snow everywhere.

Guest jeffpeng

As always .... just my 2 cents, but ...

I like the idea of burying a corpse. Maybe even leaving a burial mark there. It has something "dignifying". Certainly not something you'd waste time on when actually trying to achieve something, but in a role-playing run one would certainly want to do that.

What I don't really like is the idea of making this spawn another corpse as a sort of "renewable resource". I generally think that TLD draws a lot of its appeal from the fact that, in a rather distant but fairly certain future, you will eventually run out of resources. Beach combing is something I dislike for that very fact as well. It makes every bullet precious if you know you cannot get it back, it makes every pill of antibiotics precious when you know that eventually you'll have nothing to treat infected wounds with.

The idea for cannibalism I outright dislike. Not even going into that the depiction of cannibalism would let TLD's age restriction skyrocket, but if you want to tread this path of grim realism, you are opening a lot of doors for other things equally horrifying. I don't want to get into specifics (and if it's just to not offend other people), but there are a lot of very grim and terrifying things TLD saves you from, things you would have to face in a real survival situation as depicted in TLD. And I think this is okay, good even. It's still a game, and as such it's mostly meant to be fun and appealing, and in many ways TLD is the poetic version of the survival genre. Eating corpses, no matter the level of desperation, doesn't fit this.

Archived