Windows 10 crashes

palbi

Hi All,

I have a really bad day. I just changed my previous hardware to new one (Asrock B450M-Pro4 + Ryzen5-2400G+16GB RAM) and for the first time I installed Windows 10. On my previous setup (Intel i5-660 + GTX1050 + 16GB RAM + Windows7) it has run smooth. But now the game crashes during gameplay. And after the first crash something happened. The graphics has been totally fall apart. And waht's interesting, if I take a "Printscreen", everything's fine - so I made some pics with my phone.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Phone:

image.thumb.png.d9ecf1fd70262a1dff42aeb78ae80c29.png

image.thumb.png.88d475c10d64ccc3505c47d40ed69591.png

Printscreen:
image.thumb.png.38552c0a4c8cd1e2fa92c767e315bc3d.png

Sorry I'm opening the case here, but I'm desperate. Should I set back to Windows7 and the old hardware? (But what am I gonna do after 2020?) Or the new hardware fails me?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, palbi said:

Should I set back to Windows7 and the old hardware?

@palbi, please try to remain as patient as possible while getting started with a fresh install of Win10.
Most people will need to allow several PC shutdowns/updates/restarts, prior to achieving a stable operating system.
But you may be assured that TLD will install and run perfectly fine using Win10 as your operating system.
Also, 'Microsoft' updates will often reset default hardware drivers, (you may wish to check/update the driver for your video card).

"Stay Calm and allow time for getting familiar with your new OS", good luck my friend. :coffee:

6 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

@palbi, please try to remain as patient as possible while getting started with a fresh install of Win10.
Most people will need to allow several PC shutdowns/updates/restarts, prior to achieving a stable operating system.
But you may be assured that TLD will install and run perfectly fine using Win10 as your operating system.
Also, 'Microsoft' updates will often reset default hardware drivers, (you may wish to check/update the driver for your video card).

"Stay Calm and allow time for getting familiar with your new OS", good luck my friend. :coffee:

Thanks.
I made some digging, if Windows 10 is some kind of early access or experimental kind, but as I found, it should be a stable edition in the row of Microsoft's operating systems. My other worry is about Ryzen 2400G (Vega11), I think noone has played TLD with this so far. Anyway, I'm still in the "refund" period, just in case if nothing works.

Many use win10 just fine so I seriously doubt that is the issue!

It's more likely something to do with you graphics card / drivers. What is your graphics card? and have you updated drivers for it?

Seems you only mentioned your AMD mother board and CPU?  anyways I'm sure if you post your complete PC specs the dev will be able to help or someone else here will. Also your not overclocking the CPU are you, I.E you haven't tweaked settings to try to make it run faster?

8 hours ago, nicko said:

Many use win10 just fine so I seriously doubt that is the issue!

It's more likely something to do with you graphics card / drivers. What is your graphics card? and have you updated drivers for it?

Seems you only mentioned your AMD mother board and CPU?  anyways I'm sure if you post your complete PC specs the dev will be able to help or someone else here will. Also your not overclocking the CPU are you, I.E you haven't tweaked settings to try to make it run faster?

- My previous build was: Intel B150 MoBo + Core i5-6600 + Geforce GTX1050 + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD + Windows 7-64bit. Everything worked fine.
- Present build is: AMD B450 MoBo + Ryzen5-2400G + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD + Windows 10-64bit. My graphics card is the built-in IGP of Ryzen (codename Vega11). The game keeps crashing, sometimes the OS restarts too. (The very first game crash brought a Windows 10 BlueScreen with QR, but I froze like my machine, so I couldn't note what the code was.)

I always have/had the lastest drivers and OS-updates.

10 minutes ago, s7mar7in said:

@palbi, the phone image shows that your PC display, (RBG Calibration), may have an issue, possibly related to the current video card/GPU driver. 
The fact that the "print screen image" has the correct color calibration may be a useful clue; is it possible that your Win10 installation managed to install a proper 'Intel' / 'Microsoft' driver for the 'Intel' I5-660 integrated video card, (likely used by the print-screen function), and the 'AMD' drivers for the Ryzen 2400 GPU are not yet properly installed/configured.
Hope this speculation helps guide you towards completing your PC upgrade and allows you to return to playing TLD soon my friend. :coffee:

Thanks, you could be right. But, on the other hand, I made a total hardware replacement and a clean (and very first time) install of Windows 10. So maybe the Windows installed some kind of VGA driver (all the Windows versions do it anyway, to show something on the screen at all). That was, theoretically, replaced when I installed the latest VGA driver of AMD. I'm going to check it, maybe a AMD driver-reinstall will solve the case.

17 minutes ago, odizzido said:

/barf windows 10.

I am curious, why aren't you using the 1050? Is it slower than your current IGP?

(No, I just needed the stronger CPU and architecture. My future plan is, that I'm going to buy the 6 or 8 core AMD + a stronger VGA, like GTX1060 or RX570. Until then the R5-2400G is enough, and later this will be the reserve, having an IGP. Until then, I thought I sold the CPU and the VGA to cut the costs of the present build.)

Hi All,

I have news. I found, that the driver package at the MoBo manufacturer's home page wasn't the latest. (Weird.) So I downloaded the really latest from the AMD's website. Uninstalled the old one, and after reboot installed the new one. Reboot again. Started the game. Everything looked fine, graphics were OK - until ~2 minutes of gameplay, when the crash came again (bluescreen with QR code). But now I was prepared and made note of the error code: "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED". Searched the internet for resolution and of course found hints. Applied them. No change, although the game looks pretty, keeps crashing. And I keep searching, but in case I can't find a 100% working solution, next week this day I will refund the hardware and the software and return to the old build and Windows 7. I don't need pre-alpha OS and software. I need a good working environment and TLD!

Hi @palbi.

Something else to keep in mind.. occasionally the latest graphics drivers do contain bugs.. it's been known to sometimes help to roll back to the one-before-latest driver version to solve issues.

Also, so far as Win10 being "pre-alpha", keep in mind that from here on, Micro$oft's intention is to forever keep updating Win10, in (a very poorly done) imitation of Arch Linux's rolling release approach.  So in a sense, Win10 will still be in alpha/beta, even 10 years from now. With all their paying customers as beta-testers. Get used to it, or move entirely to Linux, would be my suggestion..

(And for the record, I'm not abandoning Win7 until absolutely forced to. At which point, I'll be pretty much fully on Linux, with a Win10 machine kept around only for those anti-social games that insist on only running on second-rate OS's.)

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hi @palbi.

Something else to keep in mind.. occasionally the latest graphics drivers do contain bugs.. it's been known to sometimes help to roll back to the one-before-latest driver version to solve issues.

Also, so far as Win10 being "pre-alpha", keep in mind that from here on, Micro$oft's intention is to forever keep updating Win10, in (a very poorly done) imitation of Arch Linux's rolling release approach.  So in a sense, Win10 will still be in alpha/beta, even 10 years from now. With all their paying customers as beta-testers. Get used to it, or move entirely to Linux, would be my suggestion..

(And for the record, I'm not abandoning Win7 until absolutely forced to. At which point, I'll be pretty much fully on Linux, with a Win10 machine kept around only for those anti-social games that insist on only running on second-rate OS's.)

Hi JAFO,

thanks for the hints and explanations, I totally agree. Unfortunately or not, I need more CPU threads for my virtual machines (yes, I work too, like all of us do :)). So, Windows10, I couldn't get more than 8 thread with Windows7 based hw. Or Linux, as you mentioned - two of my vm's are Linux, so I am maybe on the right path and perhaps one day the Windows are going to be only one of the vm's... :)

A small update, though: I added my GTX1050 into my present build and made a clean install of Windows10 again + all the updates and the latest drivers. And see the miracle: everything's working just fine. TLD too. So I would say, the [Windows 10 + present DirectX API + Ryzen5-2400G(Vega11 IGP) + TLD] package has collision somewhere. (And I suspect now, the Ryzen3-2200G (Vega8 IGP) would suffer the same problem as well.) That hurts a bit, because when the game was running, the graphics looked nicer somehow on AMD hw than on Nvidia hw.

3 hours ago, palbi said:

That hurts a bit, because when the game was running, the graphics looked nicer somehow on AMD hw than on Nvidia hw.

Glad to hear you are making progress @palbi. and it seems you are gaining confidence in Win10.
A quick search found that you are not alone in your struggling with AMD and game graphics:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3785817/amd-ryzen-2400g-integrated-graphic-amd-radeon-vega.html
"...Since Ryzen 5 2400G is running without discrete card, it depends exclusively on the system memory. If all first-generation Ryzen are sensitive to the speed of DDR memory, this is especially important in the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G APUs.
In order for the Ryzen 5 2400G to give the performance indicated by the reviews, a high-speed DDR4 memory (3200 or 3000) and dual channel memory is required. With DDR4 on single channel it has to go down a lot..."

Good Luck! :coffee:

13 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

"...Since Ryzen 5 2400G is running without discrete card, it depends exclusively on the system memory. If all first-generation Ryzen are sensitive to the speed of DDR memory, this is especially important in the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G APUs.
In order for the Ryzen 5 2400G to give the performance indicated by the reviews, a high-speed DDR4 memory (3200 or 3000) and dual channel memory is required. With DDR4 on single channel it has to go down a lot..."

Good Luck! :coffee:

Hi @s7mar7in,

thanks, but it's not about the memory speed. The crash came equally when I set the factory default DDR4-2133MHz or loaded the XMP-Profile DDR4-3200MHz. And so far, nothing else (I mean other software) produced this. As said before, I suspect the [Windows 10 + present DirectX API + Ryzen5-2400G(Vega11 IGP) + TLD] has problem somewhere. I don't think, that many other has this build - but since I reactivated my GTX1050 I didn't have this problem.

Cheers!

17 minutes ago, palbi said:

Hi @s7mar7in,

thanks, but it's not about the memory speed. The crash came equally when I set the factory default DDR4-2133MHz or loaded the XMP-Profile DDR4-3200MHz. And so far, nothing else (I mean other software) produced this. As said before, I suspect the [Windows 10 + present DirectX API + Ryzen5-2400G(Vega11 IGP) + TLD] has problem somewhere. I don't think, that many other has this build - but since I reactivated my GTX1050 I didn't have this problem.

Cheers!

Ha Stick with Intel CPU and Nvidia Graphic cards I do.

Archived