Start a Fire with Alternative Options

Deathdealers747

So, as the title suggests, it's not a very sophisticated idea, but it is based on real-life principles, extreme desperation, and primarily in-game longevity (to some degree). 

See, as it stands, making 1,000 days survived on the harder difficulties is... very... difficult (impossible? I don't know). So, while I'm not asking you to reduce the difficulty, instead I'm asking to implement other real-world possibilities. 

• Clicking 2 Rocks together to have a 5% Base Chance of Starting a Fire. This chance could increase with your Fire Skill. 
  • Using a Bow and Arrow to start a fire - has a 15% Base Chance and would cost 50% Durability of an Arrow and 10% Durability of your Bow with every attempt (whether successful or unsuccessful). 

These are just 2 ideas that could be implemented to make Fire Starting virtually unlimited in-game. Rocks are, literally, everywhere and a Bow and Arrow can be crafted to a virtually unlimited degree. 

P.S. This suggestion is primarily intended for Interloper, as I'd like to see people striving for 1,000 Days Survived on Interloper.

P.P.S. Is it even possible to reach 1,000 Days Survived on Interloper as it stands? Won't you eventually have to resort to eating only Raw Meat as your primary food source? And water collection without fire - how to do?

I can see the cravings for an interloper. But isn't it that craving that makes playing interloper mode so attractive to some? You could try to extend gameplay with "new"/added techniques over and over, but would you really want that?

Then again I like the rock technique, including the chance of 5 out of 100 for a firestart to become succesful.
It would be something that would go combined with a game without matches altogether. But it's a modern day world so it would be strange if one wouldn't find matches. Then again I am but a pilgrim.

Upvoted, I find it somewhat stupid not to be able to make a fire from natural elements, that's a basic survival skill.

It's not a good thing some Lopers had to stop their run due to lack of matches (which is rare, we agree on that).

I suggest [ bow + arrow shaft + birch bark ], like in real life? That would mean at-least slow respawning birch saplings (like crow feathers as of today), and matches critical until you're able to craft a bow. And of course as a trade-off the mag lens fires should take much more than 5minutes to start, again, like IRL, making the matches even more critical in early game.

3 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

Certainly the best proposal yet. Maybe we could also have another use for car battaries & metal scrap with a bit of ingenuity..

I love the idea, but that would imply they are not empty (and then a flashlight battery should die slowly after an aurora), nor frozen inside, there's only above some temperature that they work fine.

On 9/17/2018 at 5:28 PM, BareSkin said:

Upvoted, I find it somewhat stupid not to be able to make a fire from natural elements, that's a basic survival skill.

It's not a good thing some Lopers had to stop their run due to lack of matches (which is rare, we agree on that).

I suggest [ bow + arrow shaft + birch bark ], like in real life? That would mean at-least slow respawning birch saplings (like crow feathers as of today), and matches critical until you're able to craft a bow. And of course as a trade-off the mag lens fires should take much more than 5minutes to start, again, like IRL, making the matches even more critical in early game.

[bow + arrow shaft + birch bark] would be an excellent idea! Would make Tinder useful, again, because you don't end up carrying them once you acquire Fire Starting Level 3. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:10 AM, BareSkin said:

I love the idea, but that would imply they are not empty (and then a flashlight battery should die slowly after an aurora), nor frozen inside, there's only above some temperature that they work fine.

Actually, the way I understand cars to work in-game is that they are not insulated, which is why storing Meat inside of the Trunk and/or Glove Box results in a slower decay rate, while preventing wolves and bears from eating them (and prevents from attracting them, as well). So, any Car Batteries left over, using real-life logic, would dictate that they would lose all charge capability. Too cold or too hot causing too much constriction or contraction of the battery - heat causes them to corrode and cold causing them to "freeze". However, both temperatures at extreme levels will cause the battery to explode, so if they really wanted to add more realism to that in-game, then you can expect a few less cars on the roads in-game. However, if the trade-off was that we could acquire Gasoline as a means of Accelerant in-game, then I wouldn't mind it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, Deathdealers747 said:

However, if the trade-off was that we could acquire Gasoline as a means of Accelerant in-game, then I wouldn't mind it.

you can use lamp oil, which is infinite if you fish, or just beachcomb and cook the fish you find from it. I cooked a juicy coho salmon I had combed once, and it gave me .14 liters of lamp oil. you need .30 liters to use it as accelerant.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived