Frostbite Risk!??

Vince 49

I was minding my own business in a snow shelter in the ML Hydro Dam grounds when, all of a sudden, I got a frostbite risk (66%).  My character's temperature was maxed out at warm (the temperature icon was all white with no down arrows).  The weather outside was calm and not unusually cold.  My character clothing provided a warmth bonus of 26 degrees and a wind bonus of 10 degrees.  The character screen now showed my character in her undies although she was fully clothed.

I panicked as this was one of my best games.  It was day 111 and I had both the Moose-Hide Cloak and the Satchel and all stats at 3 or 4.

I'm running the version just before the Vigilant Flame update.  There are plenty of bad things that can happen that are realistic, this was not realistic.  Is this a known issue?

I was playing at Stalker level.

You shouldnt get frostbite unless your clothes have gotten wet or frozen. You can have the best gear on your chest but if you only have driving gloves you can still get frostbite on your hands.

The character menu for first aid and not your clothes always represents your character in their undies. If you actually have lost your clothing then it is definitely a bug.

I THINK it's the case if your clothes get wet enough you can get frostbite. I know they're certainly less effective as they get wet.

When you're afflicted with hypothermia or whatever it does show your portrait as naked(I am not sure why....maybe to give you a strong visual indication something is cold?)

@MarrowStone,  thanks for the explanation.  So, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is: even if the rest of my character is warm and dry, if one part is wet, like my gloves (and therefore my hands), I could get frostbite on my hands.  That makes sense.

I was a little confused by what you said about the character display.  My character display normally shows my character with her cloths on--see the attached screen shot.

CharacterScreen1.png

5 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

My character display normally shows my character with her cloths on--see the attached screen shot.

Hmm, i never really look at that particular screen unless I have an affliction and I swear the background was red. Perhaps it switches out when you recieve an affliction? Next time you get a sprain or something check. Also, be wary you can get frostbite with low tier gear on your hands and head, particularly since they arent very waterproof anyways.

A good strategy is to put your most waterproof/windproof gear on your outer layers while placing the most insulative on the inside since wetness works from the outside in and since windproof gear is already light and doesnt have much warmth bonus anyways it doesnt lose as much effectiveness or gain too much weight when wet.

14 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Hmm, i never really look at that particular screen unless I have an affliction and I swear the background was red. Perhaps it switches out when you receive an affliction?

It is the case. As soon as you have any affliction (or risk of), the character will be stripped from his clothes to show where the affliction is occurring. If no affliction at all (like the screenshot), the character shown as fully clothed. 

Archived