Improving outdoor shelters

cullam

I would love to see the option to improve the outdoor shelters we find in the game - places like the half barns that are lying around, or even the hunter's blinds. I think the simplest way to do this would be to be able to cover up cracks or insulate walls with cured hides. To make this a not over-powered ability, it could require nails, which could be forged from scrap metal, and placed with the heavy hammer. I think this would add a very neat system for players to try surviving in new and interesting places, as they could commit a bunch of time and resources into slightly increasing the temperature bonus of places they stay. I think it would also add a very nice touch to the world - humans do love to leave their mark, and affect the places they live. 

2 hours ago, odizzido said:

Also I just want to mention....if shelter improvements happened then maybe we could turn off the free heat we get in buildings right now

not sure about that... still have to survive until you forge some nails and cure some hides.  losing that heat up front would make it a lot harder to get there. It's very unlikely this system would be the difference between someone living or freezing to death. By the time they could improve a specific shelter then they probably already have basic survival tackled.

I'm not opposed to trading something for the feature though to keep balance, just not sure making early survival harder would be the way to go.

Perhaps some barrels could be hacksawed and given a grate via scrap metal and tools to be converted into another Fire Barrel?

Maybe some obvious holes can be patched with reclaimed wood, forged nails, and maybe a pelt or two. Perhaps even with durability built in that lowers with every blizzard

Maybe pine bough bedding can be placed in the backs of caves for a slight warmth bonus and tge ability to sleep without a bedroll? (at cost of much lowered condition regain). An asset that can be used already exist in the Survival Bowl cave.

At the very least, I would like snow shelters to be either upgradeable, be more durable, or cheaper to maintain. I usually avoid them because they feel too expensive as of now and that discourages me from a more adventurous playstyle.

I'm against player-made homes and I fear developing in this direction may cause more players to cry out for cabin building. But it would be very nice to add in some long term, late-game, time sinks such as base upgrades to keep us occupied.

Archived