Pathfinders Do You Know The Way? Poll

Ice Hole

Pathfinding  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was an interesting discussion hidden within the Changes to the forge thread (starts at bottom of first page with @stratvox 's comment). The part that was of interest to me was about climbing into areas that do not have a defined route created by the developers.  The terrain is not fully flushed out and has broken areas and holes that are inescapable.  The main problem with spider-manning the developers have is when the players get stuck by the terrain and then blame Hinterland Studios for the issue. 

Example for this is climbing to TWM summit and then using the rope to climb back down.  My first time on the summit and I never even thought to take the rope back down.

Do you enjoy finding your own path or adhere to the established route?

I voted for mountain goating, but would like to add here that my behaviour may differ depending on what I want to do in a certain run. If, for example, I am going for a long-term goal or experiment, I will avoid mountain goating, since I do not want my goal to be undermined by a "terrain accident". But if I have nothing special "to do", I will venture into the unknown.

I always want to climb everything. Because it is there. Now that we have cave systems too, I want to burrow my way through the world too. And cling to cliffs like Spidergirl. Anything but the "normal" routes everyone else uses. I like seeing things few others have seen,  done the legit, often painful or difficult way.  Just for the rush of having done it.

Because I am weird. And not afraid to die.

In game, and in real life too. The "not afraid to die" part anyway. And the "weird" part, for sure. :P

But... getting stuck on a ledge, with just my cane (or trekking poles), and no coffee or Pancakes... that scares the heck out of me IRL.  :coffee:

Thanks for the replies. 

It seems so far that exploring the world beyond the path is common and several really enjoy pushing the limits.

The problem with going off the path is getting stuck in a hole or falling through broken terrain. 
The lack of jumping does make escape problematic but in my opinion it really is enjoyable finding alternate routes without hopping around. 

A clamber mechanic could allow for escape but the broken terrain that have gaps need to be overhauled.
I am not certain but it seems this is a problem for the developers because combing all the landscape for broken terrain is time consuming.

If a clamber mechanic was introduced it should be very limited and cause injury.  When stuck in a hole it is sort of like a last ditch effort to escape.  Maybe injury is caused from dislocating shoulder or fracturing ribs.  This would still make adventure climbing risky and allow exploration without frustration.  When I fell and became stuck in a hole there was enough room for a campfire and bedroll.  I had firewood, food and water and regained my health for no reason.   If the option was available I would take an injury and clamber to freedom.

There was another category that is not part of the options.

Voodoo Child - There is no blue pill.  There is no red pill.  Anything goes with these types who practice the mystical arts.  Fearlessly going through hopi tunnels and willfully exploiting terrain gaps to gain an advantage.

@admin - Should I try quoting everything or would you please copy the "climbing conversation" from the Changes to the forge thread and place it here.  It would make this thread easier to read.

@admin ok do your merge magic.

The relevant parts are twelve entries and begin with

A little further down the road I'm considering trying a Pilgrim base with pilgrim natural loot, stalker civilized loot, interloper weather, and all afflictions (i.e. including parasites).

and through to ending at 

I do think that rock climbing sans gear makes sense for this game... just sayin'. I also understand the ironing out the mechanic for it would be challenging. That's why I was thinking that careful map construction to make specific places scalable could be a way to do it. I can also see how that might be less than appealing because doing the design and the playtesting of it could add a lot of time reqs to each region....

Archived