Ability to have character point at something

Gazbeard

It's occurred to me multiple times when recording videos for youtube or playing through livestreams that it would be really useful for content creators if there was a "point at ..." feature in the game.
Yes we can use the rifle or bow and arrow to point out features, paths, or directions in the gameplay, but that doesn't feel immersive and risks accidentally discharging an arrow or ammo round (I have nerve damage in both hands and sometimes a finger will spasm causing a mis-click, especially while holding down a mouse button with another finger).

The way I'd forsee it happening is that holding down a key (e.g. P for point) raises the avatar's outstretched arm on screen with a finger pointing hand, and moving the mouse then directs where it points.  No idea how much coding that would require.

14 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

It's occurred to me multiple times when recording videos for youtube or playing through livestreams that it would be really useful for content creators if there was a "point at ..." feature in the game.
Yes we can use the rifle or bow and arrow to point out features, paths, or directions in the gameplay, but that doesn't feel immersive and risks accidentally discharging an arrow or ammo round (I have nerve damage in both hands and sometimes a finger will spasm causing a mis-click, especially while holding down a mouse button with another finger).

The way I'd forsee it happening is that holding down a key (e.g. P for point) raises the avatar's outstretched arm on screen with a finger pointing hand, and moving the mouse then directs where it points.  No idea how much coding that would require.

That is intriguing. Obviously, this feature would do nothing for the gameplay, but it might be a cool (and maybe never before seen) feature for people who stream or produce "Let's Play"s. Given that such live streams and videos are nowadays a widespread phenomenon and that their creators play a certain role in spreading knowledge about the game (and presumably raising sales), it would be interesting to see what streamers/youtubers would make of such a feature such as a "pointing-finger". Would be even cooler if the avatar (only very occasionally) mumbled something to him-/herself when pointing, like "ladies and gentlemen, now take a look at THAT".

On 7/10/2018 at 8:06 PM, ajb1978 said:

If this gets implemented, the first person to post a screenshot of booping a bear on the nose wins a cookie.

Oh and at this point, I'm serious.  If this is implemented, and you post a screenshot of a bearboop, send me your info.  I am totally gifting you some kind of cookie package off Amazon.

6 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Oh and at this point, I'm serious.  If this is implemented, and you post a screenshot of a bearboop, send me your info.  I am totally gifting you some kind of cookie package off Amazon.

Pancakes as an option? I would totally get my face eaten off by a triggered bear, that I just poked in the face... if I got Pancakes.Chocolate chip Pancakes, if it has to have a cookie theme... 

Do I need to poke the nostril with the steamy breath coming out of it? Or will any place on the nose do?

And does poking a dead bear in the nose count?

Just saying...

5b4d80c319a65_pokebearnose.jpg.b875da99a9f746ad2f1a771e21aca485.jpg

People-in-sleeping-bags.thumb.png.0f820c00adba9af74aabdfeb2e9ef72a.png

Ooh good call.  No, it would have to be a live bear!  And I suppose I could make some concessions as to whether cookies or pancakes are the prize.  Especially seeing as how the odds of this being implemented are pretty slim in my opinion, so it's  a safe bet on my part. :)

A number of folks did figure out how to take screenshots of the survivor's hand holding the sun, the moon, and other objects, using the "Aim" pose for stone throwing. I have a feeling pinching a bear's nose could be done using the same technique. But, it would be "pinching", not "poking". :P

Archived