Cook your own stews, soups, or really anything.

FunkyFuggerson

With the addition of new cooking mechanics I think its about time we add the ability to be able to cook certain foodstuffs. Once you get to a certain point in the game you pretty much can only eat unseasoned meat. And well, maybe we can put that meat and fish to good use? Ok so this is what i'm thinking, much like the bread recipe in the pleasant valley farmstead you can find recipes around the world. You can then prepare ingredients or meat in the crafting menu like you prepare rosehips for tea. then you can ladle your ingredients into a cooking pot with some water and make stew! These food items could both give you calories but benefits as well. Maybe a warm stew warms you for twice the amount for twice the time, it could make condition loss from afflictions lessen. I just think if your going to add a new and improved cooking system might as well add some cool new recipes to tinker around with. 

31 minutes ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

With the addition of new cooking mechanics I think its about time we add the ability to be able to cook certain foodstuffs. Once you get to a certain point in the game you pretty much can only eat unseasoned meat. And well, maybe we can put that meat and fish to good use? Ok so this is what i'm thinking, much like the bread recipe in the pleasant valley farmstead you can find recipes around the world. You can then prepare ingredients or meat in the crafting menu like you prepare rosehips for tea. then you can ladle your ingredients into a cooking pot with some water and make stew! These food items could both give you calories but benefits as well. Maybe a warm stew warms you for twice the amount for twice the time, it could make condition loss from afflictions lessen. I just think if your going to add a new and improved cooking system might as well add some cool new recipes to tinker around with. 

I don’t think that having cooking recipes will address the issue that you’re talking about: the late game, eating meat and drinking water all the time. 

You will still have ingredients spread across the world, but by the time all these ingredients are consumed by the late game you have no choice but to eat only meat

5 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

You will still have ingredients spread across the world, but by the time all these ingredients are consumed by the late game you have no choice but to eat only meat

Yeah, wasn't thinking to hard about late game eh? Perhaps we could have a work around such as ingredients washing up on shore, or perhaps more meat and water based meals for later game play. Maybe we could increase the size of wild edible spawns or add some new ones in, if thats not very OP. 

Wild edible spawns would be pretty OP imho. A large part of the vibe of this game is the inevitability of the end. I've got a guy on over 400 days now (slowly working my way up to the Will To Live achievement. I feel pretty certain I can run this guy for at least another year barring misadventure, but at the same time I can also say that I can also see ahead to when I run out of saplings and bullets and am down to snaring rabbits and trying to intimidate wolves off deer carcasses with a torch.

Knowing that yes you're gonna die is a huge part of what gives this game its urgency. It's not if... it's when.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:10 PM, FunkyFuggerson said:

Yeah, wasn't thinking to hard about late game eh? Perhaps we could have a work around such as ingredients washing up on shore, or perhaps more meat and water based meals for later game play. Maybe we could increase the size of wild edible spawns or add some new ones in, if thats not very OP. 

Ditto, I am with you all the way on this one.  Who cares about late game... that's when you whip out the last can of dented Pinnacle Peaches you have been hoarding and you cook up one last flame seared Peach glazed Venison Steak and as your sitting there by the campfire you will know, that from here on out it's just meat and water until you die...

Introducing recipes for the game seems burdensome, but for survival mode, yeah I would want to be able to do some "cooking" while I had the ingredients for the immersive enjoyment of the game.  With a cooking pot, I can make soups, stews besides just boiling water.  Imagine what you could make using crackers, peaches, peanut butter, dont forget the cattails for crunchy fiber.  probably tastes like a water chestnut?   Make me a red fish chowder mixing together fish, cattails and tomato soup with a little condensed milk.  Got some crackers to dip in... yum!   

• 2 weeks later...

I would enjoy the ability to actually cook something.  Take several ingredients and combine them to make a unique dish with unique properties.  Maybe using coffee as a rub for a steak prior to cooking would confer the caffeine benefits when consumed, for instance.  (Yes, using coffee as a rub is a thing!  It's delicious.)

As an incentive for going through the trouble, make the special food item have 100% condition forever, just like cooked coffee and tea.  Yes, it's immersion breaking, but it would satisfy the players who insist on there being a tactical reason for everything.

Archived