Near Death Experiences

RetroGames546

So I'm sure by now everyone knows about the absolute brutality of Interloper, and that even the smallest injury could jeopardize your whole game. But I'd say something more terrifying than a wolf attack, or even a bear attack, is a moose attack. I was on my way back to the Gas Station with about 50% health, and I always knew that wolves stalked the area fiercely, so I made sure to keep an eye out. This awareness is probably what saved my game. As I come over a snow bank I see a moose, no more than 30 feet away, and my heart sinks; it had spotted me. Now all I could do was run for the Gas Station entrance. As I ran I knew that if it caught me, I would suffer from broken ribs if not death (I had just recently looked up the broken ribs affliction, and the amount of treatment required to fix it shocked me). I hit the door and immediately click it, hoping that the 1 second of holding the button wouldn't spell my demise. Had I made one mistake, or taken one second too long, my life would have ended; the moose runs into me just as the loading screen pops up, prompting only a laceration, but no other injuries. If anyone else has a good near-death experience to share, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

Once I was hunting wolves in Mystery Lake. Letting them charge me. I missed one and it took a decent bite out out of me. Headed back to the Camp Office and was very close when another one saw me. Something possessed me to take it on too but I blew it again. Somehow I managed to lurch into the door with my health at 1%. I had plenty of bandages for the attacks but not enough antiseptic or Old Man's Beard dressings so wounds became infected. It took about a week of staying inside before my health got back to 100%.

one_percent.thumb.png.c1163bffb138459dea0c31be2f19eb08.png

23 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Once I was hunting wolves in Mystery Lake. Letting them charge me. I missed one and it took a decent bite out out of me. Headed back to the Camp Office and was very close when another one saw me. Something possessed me to take it on too but I blew it again. Somehow I managed to lurch into the door with my health at 1%. I had plenty of bandages for the attacks but not enough antiseptic or Old Man's Beard dressings so wounds became infected. It took about a week of staying inside before my health got back to 100%.

one_percent.thumb.png.c1163bffb138459dea0c31be2f19eb08.png

The Long Dark Leprechaun was looking out for you that time.

18 hours ago, cekivi said:

In my case I am usually able to find an emergency stim fairly early on. With the emergency stim I'll either be dead outright or be able to stim my way to shelter. As a consequence, I don't experience many "near death" events these days. :$

I actually very rarely use the emergency stims. Not because I can't find them, but just because I tend to keep my distance from wolves and stuff. Also they're SUPER rare on Interloper, so it's hard to find an appropriate situation to use them. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm more likely to use it when it's almost night time and my tired level isn't low enough for a 10-12 hour sleep. I use the exhaustion effect to my advantage.

• 1 month later...

Ok so my first near death freaked me out so much:

I was in costal highway and in all honesty i got lost which is something hard to do i found out. Anyway i was following the road towards the side with the garage and i was at a point that was really close to the water. 

I saw a car and started to search it when i heard the dreaded barking. I panicked and couldn't find the little jerk when i remembered i could hide in the car so i did and looked out the window and it was seriously just few steps away! It started to circle the car and it got to the point where i had to move and so i ate my crackers and jumped out and it jumped on me almost immediatly. I only had the knife and so i got cut up pretty bad before i knocked it off and got all the infections but eventually i made it out of there.

I learned that day one very important thing and that thing is...F wolves

On 17/01/2018 at 5:57 PM, RetroGames546 said:

So I'm sure by now everyone knows about the absolute brutality of Interloper, and that even the smallest injury could jeopardize your whole game. But I'd say something more terrifying than a wolf attack, or even a bear attack, is a moose attack. I was on my way back to the Gas Station with about 50% health, and I always knew that wolves stalked the area fiercely, so I made sure to keep an eye out. This awareness is probably what saved my game. As I come over a snow bank I see a moose, no more than 30 feet away, and my heart sinks; it had spotted me. Now all I could do was run for the Gas Station entrance. As I ran I knew that if it caught me, I would suffer from broken ribs if not death (I had just recently looked up the broken ribs affliction, and the amount of treatment required to fix it shocked me). I hit the door and immediately click it, hoping that the 1 second of holding the button wouldn't spell my demise. Had I made one mistake, or taken one second too long, my life would have ended; the moose runs into me just as the loading screen pops up, prompting only a laceration, but no other injuries. If anyone else has a good near-death experience to share, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

I really had to stop playing the game at night during weekdays. The adrenaline rush was hampering my night rest. Nowadays I try take it light.  

On 18/01/2018 at 10:18 PM, RetroGames546 said:

I actually very rarely use the emergency stims. Not because I can't find them, but just because I tend to keep my distance from wolves and stuff. Also they're SUPER rare on Interloper, so it's hard to find an appropriate situation to use them. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm more likely to use it when it's almost night time and my tired level isn't low enough for a 10-12 hour sleep. I use the exhaustion effect to my advantage.

That is a good use for it. Justa another day I was running around carter's trailer with a full backpack just to get more tired for the night.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have two instances where I shaved a close line to losing it all, once in Survival and another in my first run of Story Mode:

Survival Mode:

In Mystery Lake I stayed out too long around the derailment and found myself in the dark with too little to attempt surviving the night in the open boxcar. So in pitch blackness with just a torch, I made my way back down the tracks with nothing but hope that I would guess correctly the right time to turn off for the camp office. Along the way I got two wolves on my trail, as well. They would slowly get close, and then skitter off when they remembered I was carrying a flaming torch. When the torch ran out, I resorted to a flare, which I tend to treat the same as some in this thread treat stims. I knew I had one chance to guess correctly the moment to turn off the tracks, else I would have no idea if I went too far or not, short of coming across the bridge near the dam.  I made the turn, and after ten steps saw the first outline of the camp office.  It was sweet relief.

Story Mode:

At that pond shortly after passing the plane wreck, where you are given the chance to hunt some rabbits with stones, I spent a little too long there, to where it was dark after leaving the cave(there was no bedroll in the cave at that time).  That left a lot of unfamiliar territory and a lot of wolves for me to negotiate between the cave exit and Milton.  After passing the second wolf, which I think was distracted by a corpse, I only heard it, I tried making a fire in the thought of waiting there for daylight.  When my wood supply started getting low due to me pulling brands and tossing them to keep the nearest wolf away, I decided my best odds would be to continue on. So after the next time the wolf ran off from being scared by the fire, I started out. Not too long after it became obvious I made a wrong turn as I was walking on ice and not road.  I knew then I was completely lost.  I found the shoreline and hugged it until I could get back up the slope to the top and maybe find the road again.  Fortunately, I was also so lost at that point even the wolves couldn't find me. But I startled enough deer to keep my heart racing. Either case, I was in the dark and my condition was dropping to exhaustion, hypothermia, and impending frostbite.  Somehow, I managed to find the road again, and right across it was the old church.  Stumbling in the dark as I did, there is no way I could ever retrace my steps in the light.

These were definitely my best survivor experiences to date.

• 4 weeks later...

My first confident, tooled up trip out to shoot a wolf was very nearly my last. As the wolf closed in, i discovered that, rifles, how ever much you clean them, do little when you don't put bullets in. Only one of the four wolves saw me so I survived long enough to bandage and then experiment with a loaded rifle. I can report that the rifle works better loaded.

• 1 month later...

Fairly early in my first survival run (Pilgrim, don't judge) when I had just terrible clothes (no hat, bad shoes, sweatshirt, jeans, no gloves) and could hardly go any distance from the Trapper's Hut before getting Hypothermia Risk, I 'made it' to Unnamed Pond and tried to harvest the deer carcass there. I got hypothermia risk and decided to take everything regardless of the fact it was getting dark. I'd read that eating Rabbit raw doesn't give you food poisoning so did that, got food poisoning, and became exhausted, managed to get a fire going and then ate some, I thought, cooked venison, nope also raw, got food poisoning from that too. Tried to make some Reishi tea but couildn't figure it out. In desperation, now with Hypothermia, I made for Trapper's Cabin with condition stuck down in the red zone. Staggered in took some antibiotics, couldn't work out why they didn't help, crashed out, miraculously woke up again. Fun times.

Archived