Old fires disappear over time.

Winnsford

Apologies if this has been discussed. I searched and only found comments without discussion.

I would like to see old fires disappear over a period of time. For example 5 game days, or a week.  If  the fire is used again before this time it resets the clock. I have placed fires in strategic locations I use regularly. Day 185 on an interloper run I have about 10-12 fire “carcasses” on the lake at CH and many others scattered around the region.  On the lake I usually walk to 3-4 of these before I locate a downed wolf.

I am fairly certain they do dissapear. As soon as you harvest them for charcoal, at least. I believe they dont dissapear the same way carcasses do, but I think they dissapear with the game re-load. Not sure though, its been a while since  I paid attention to it... but in the past, the fireplaces made by player could not be re-lit and wouldnt dissapear, which eventually meant so many fireplaces it would cause game frame issues... and then they made a change to them that gave the players ability to remove the campfires from the game - I think they were wiped with every re-loading.

I haven't had them disappear.  Back before you could reuse a fire that made most areas really cluttered.  I'm not certain if they should disappear - but maybe if enough people wanted it, they could the same mechanic as the disappearing carcass mechanic.  Since I like a pristine wilderness ;) I tend to not put a fire next to each carcass.  Unless I'm playing on Interloper because then its not like I'm going to see day 21.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 7:38 AM, Winnsford said:

Apologies if this has been discussed. I searched and only found comments without discussion.

I would like to see old fires disappear over a period of time. For example 5 game days, or a week.  If  the fire is used again before this time it resets the clock. I have placed fires in strategic locations I use regularly. Day 185 on an interloper run I have about 10-12 fire “carcasses” on the lake at CH and many others scattered around the region.  On the lake I usually walk to 3-4 of these before I locate a downed wolf.

It's an issue that's been brought up a few times before. The stopgap fix right now is you can relight old fires. Because the fires are persistent it can cause loading problems when transitioning between areas (game has to load all of the fire locations). 

Personally, I'm hoping burnt out fires will either decay overtime like a carcass or be harvested and removed while collecting charcoal. 

I would think the good way to do that is to harvest the charcoal and then after it's been harvested have the fire disappear after three days... like a carcass. And allow the option to leave a couple of charcoal in the fire so that it doesn't disappear if you don't want it to; I've got a couple of firepits around my base in the fishing camp that are carefully placed to be protected from most winds around the crafting table so I can craft without freezing to death.

Alternatively, maybe have all dead fires decay over time, with one charcoal disappearing per day so that a fully charcoaled fire will take 24 days to disappear, and allow a new crafting option with say 20 stones to build a permanent fire pit with a "wind chill" like bonus that helps protect it from being blown out by the wind.

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

allow a new crafting option with say 20 stones to build a permanent fire pit with a "wind chill" like bonus that helps protect it from being blown out by the wind

It would be nice to have another use for stones. The ones shown in the game though would be too small to be of much use though. 

15 hours ago, cekivi said:

It's an issue that's been brought up a few times before. The stopgap fix right now is you can relight old fires. Because the fires are persistent it can cause loading problems when transitioning between areas (game has to load all of the fire locations). 

Personally, I'm hoping burnt out fires will either decay overtime like a carcass or be harvested and removed while collecting charcoal. 

Thanks. Couldn't find much info on it. Day 215 and I have black dots all over the lake on CH. Wolf? fire? wolf? fire?

Archived