Create your own Sandbox

JJ67

Hey there,

here's an idea for The Long Dark.

Idea: I'd love to see a feature in The Long Dark, where I can set the rules for my very own sandbox experience myself. Like there would be several factors I can adjust before starting a new sandbox. Example: Wildlife/Animals: easy, Weather: very harsh, Ressources: almost none. Tools: none. Weapons: none. So we could mix up the several difficulties to our liking.

Reason: Why would I want that? I really enjoy Interloper mode, I dont play any other mode at all. I want the challenge, I want it to be hard, I want to start over and over again to finally make it. I really want that all. But, to be honest, wolves are so annoying. And most of the time they stop me from experiencing the whole survival. They just dont let me pass a certain level, where I cant go somewhere else (connection between Muskeg and Mystery Lake for example, there are 8 or more wolves in it). I just cant go anywhere without that annoying bark sound, and that stops me from experiencing what I'd like to experience (fighting the weather, the cold, the starving and so on). For me it would be perfect with Pilgrim wolves, that dont attack you (as in real life) as long as you dont attack them, but the difficulty of Interloper, or even harder, when it comes to the others stuff. For me, its even okay to then have even harder wolves to fight, if you decide to really attack one. I respect that many of you like the wolves the way they are, so I suggest that a feature where we all could mix up the difficulties would be best and fair to all. Everyone gets what they want.

I really dont want to fear a wolf behind every corner or every hill so my journey can be over any time without warning. I really dont want to be not able to leave the gas station on Coastal Highway for 2 consecutive game days because everytime I try to leave the building theres a wolf already ready to jump on me and already barking as hell 0,1 sec after the loading screen disappears. Thats frustrating for me and destroys a bit of that great great great game, that it is nonetheless.

Is there any reason why we should NOT have that? I mean its sandbox/endless mode, it's supposed to be flexible and adjustable, isnt it?

Plenty of threads on it. Basically an insistence on story mode (we see how well that went) and an insistence on their definition of balance. Sandbox has been the overwhelming success in the game and they still insist they know better than the ones buying it. At least that's what I have gleaned from several years here and 1k hours playing. But I could be wrong

Difficulty sliders have been on my wishlist since day 1. It actually would be a lot of math in store for the devs but Itd be appreciated so much, even if achievements were disabled.

Or at least another set if badges you can earn that focus on gameply changes like less wolf agression towards you, or a base chance they instantly flee from you.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:38 AM, Athoen said:

something like this ? :P

Yup, its recurring topic, arguably one of the most popular. We all know its a good idea, maybe we need to speculate why it wouldnt be a good idea without being accusing. Maybe the devs know something we dont.

One reason i can think of is that custom sliders would require the devs to do a bit more coding.

Also, is there any chance the authored difficulties keep sandbox world generation fast as a result of the game not having the client go over and create its own generated loot drop tables? Or does the game not work like that?

Another reason is that maybe they want the steam achievements to be more of an accomplishment.

Or maybe they feel that their authored experiences fit their vision of the game world the most and they want their audience to appreciate the "feel" each experience mode has.

Or maybe its simply to keep the game simple and less confusing or have less UI elements upon sanbox creation.

So thats 5 possible reasons. The last two are the most likely I believe. Again, just speculation, not accusation. And i dont belive the implementation of sliders has to replace the authored modes or even allow achievements, it could simply be another card in the experience mode selection with some unique flavor text and name.

If the implementation of custom sliders would be a very labor intensive thing for them, then they might not have done it yet just because of priorities and time. Story mode has been and will be a huge priority of theirs at least until Wintermute is done, and they probably have easier/ higher priority sandbox stuff they rather do first.

But yes this is something i also want to see.

Archived