Level 5 Mending - Can Repair Ruined Clothing

earthy

Most skills give extremely strong perks at level 5. For example, cooking allows us to eat rotten meat and predator meat, archery allows us to shoot while crouched with massive crits, and fire starting allows us almost everlasting outdoor fires.

Given that mending is one of the hardest skills to get to level 5, the payoff seems incredibly low for the time invested. I believe by allowing the player to repair ruined clothing, the game experience will be substantially improved. Given the rarity of hats/accessories in interloper, losing a wool toque or ear wrap generally means you will never be able to achieve the best possible set of clothing in that sandbox. Unlucky players may also lose every hat they've found to wolf struggles, and be left forever fighting off frostbite. Both scenarios are very disheartening, and I know of several people(including myself) who would simply take that as an excuse to start a new run. If there was a possibility of repairing that ruined clothing deep into the run, there would be much greater incentive to continue with those runs, and take them into the late late game.

I kid you not... In one of my previous stalker playthroughs, as I was painstakingly leveling up mending, I was wondering what perk level 5 would give. And after giving it a great amount of thought, this is exactly what came to mind. Imagine my dismay when I reached level 5 mending and found out that it gives nothing worth all that effort.

I support this all the way!

On 11/10/2017 at 1:45 AM, Reahs said:

I would like this for level 5 mending but to repair ruined clothing would require a good amount of time and cloth, like when you craft your own clothing.

Good idea. Implementing this could be a blessing and a curse though. Say you had the expedition parka (or whatever it is called now) and got attacked by the wildlife or fell from a survivable but still dangerous spot one too many times. If you're not at the high level you can choose to take it with you everywhere you go or find a place for it and once you get to level 5 mending, fix it. Maybe add in another level called destroyed, where the picture for the item is in tatters.

Honestly though there are some pieces like the earwraps that seem to be the first destroyed and they are so rare.

Archived