Maple Syrup!

Plowmon

As Canadian as it gets - add taps and allow us to use buckets instead of only being able to break them down, requires boiling the sap.  Results would be high calorie maple syrup that provides a short energy boost (sugar rush) like the emergency stim.  Also, make the sap amount depend on the daytime temperature, although likely not requiring quite the same temperature as it would in reality

Of course, this might also require the addition of maple trees :)

birch sap is possibility too. adds additional use for gut string and empty cans from food or buckets found around the world. collects potable liquid with small caloric content, around the same as coffee or teas. degrades fairly fast over time, similar rate as fresh fish, still potable but loses caloric content.

and the game already has birch trees

This is just so right !!!!!!! :o:o How come TLD, by Hinterland from Canada, don't even feature the most iconic product from their country ??? Forget the story mode, this HAS to become their first priority ! 78% of the world production is from Canada ! Hell, Hinterland even take pride from being canadian ( http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/17439-cbc-article-the-long-dark-is-a-fiercely-canadian-video-game-why-arent-there-more-like-it/ ), how could they forget this essential item ??

However, we shouldn't be able to make syrup, because maple water is harvested at the end of winter / begining of spring. And it would be unbalancing.

From a french player who enjoys cooking with maple syrup.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:00 PM, KinoUnko said:

and the game already has birch trees

The game already has maple trees as well. And I get your point, but birch trees are way too common for this to be a "valuable" item.

And I like this idea, it is basically the same thing I suggested some time ago. I personally like the idea of maple syrup being a sort of a "renewable" coffee - with the exception that it cannot be heated up. It would be a drink which would add little hydration, a lot of calories (it is pretty rich on sugar), and give you an instant small boost of energy while giving you the "degraded energy consumption" buff for some time, just like the coffee would. However, it would have to be a rare tree that can be tapped, the syrup would take a long while to be produced, and it would degrade very fast - just to balance things out. But it should have high caloric value and the coffee bonuses to make it worthwhile.

I think that would be a pretty balanced suggestion.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:12 PM, Prestermatt said:

That's a neat idea.

And even if actually making syrup wouldn't make sense in the game, it would be fun to have a new region with a maple grove complete with abandoned taps, buckets, etc.  Just for atmosphere.

That sounds pretty cool. The issue would emerge if the making of syrup became possible later on, tho - would be a valuable area, unless the Hinterland would just "demolish" it a bit like they did in the past with the lookout. I like this idea as well.

On 10/18/2017 at 0:20 AM, dead frozen dude said:

After so many days alone and no reasonable prospects in sight, Will could let the syrup ferment itself into pruno and get drunk. The Long Drunk :)

Problem with anything alcohol related is that including alcohol in a game would boost up its rating for ESRB and similar agencies. Besides, we don't really need alcohol in the game unless it's for disinfection - drinking alcohol in survival situation is stupid in every way. You should always keep your senses high in case something unexpected happens.

Depending on where Great Bear Island actually is, Maple may not be available. Maple used for syrup production is common in South East Canada, not so much in North and West. Birch however is native to all of Canada. Maple Syrup would be a good found food item, comparable to condensed milk. production by collecting sap then reduction is really too much effort for the return. You need massive amount of sap to get appreciable amount of syrup, calorie expenditure for collecting sap, wood for fire, and time to boil, far outstrips the caloric content you'd get from syrup.

Archived