A tech-destroying solar flare could hit Earth within 100 years

The only real danger, however, is for people who have pacemakers, and other machinery that helps them live. As for the technical damage, that will be fixable in time. But such danger shows the value of primitive skills because if the world did go dark once again, many people would be completely lost at what to do. A person who has some experience and a lot of knowledge would likely be able to take care of themselves fairly well. This is not even a TLD kind of survival - more of a self-sufficient way of life in real world.

By the way, EMP preppers have been building special rooms that would, in an event of EMP or similar disaster, protect the electronics in them. It is called Faraday cage. Basically, it is a thin layer of metal around the room, or a box, or some other container like that. The inside of it needs to be non-conductive. Electronics inside of it will be protected in case of an EMP. Naturally, they wont really be usable when they are inside.

Personally, I often keep my external hard drive in a metal box just in case. I suppose if I ever get like an old, cheap mobile phone for extra, I will keep that inside as well. Not that it would really matter - if a strong enough event happens, there likely won't be many phones working anyways.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

The only real danger, however, is for people who have pacemakers, and other machinery that helps them live. As for the technical damage, that will be fixable in time. But such danger shows the value of primitive skills because if the world did go dark once again, many people would be completely lost at what to do. A person who has some experience and a lot of knowledge would likely be able to take care of themselves fairly well. This is not even a TLD kind of survival - more of a self-sufficient way of life in real world.

By the way, EMP preppers have been building special rooms that would, in an event of EMP or similar disaster, protect the electronics in them. It is called Faraday cage. Basically, it is a thin layer of metal around the room, or a box, or some other container like that. The inside of it needs to be non-conductive. Electronics inside of it will be protected in case of an EMP. Naturally, they wont really be usable when they are inside.

Personally, I often keep my external hard drive in a metal box just in case. I suppose if I ever get like an old, cheap mobile phone for extra, I will keep that inside as well. Not that it would really matter - if a strong enough event happens, there likely won't be many phones working anyways.

In order for it to be a Faraday cage, you also need to have the conductive external surface be grounded.

Interesting factoid... electronics based on vacuum tubes are far more robust for this kind of event. The Soviets continued to use tubes in fighter aircraft for many years after the US moved to transistors because of their far greater resistance to EMP events. So, my main stage amp will possibly work after the quiet apocalypse... however I'm pretty sure that my guitars' pickups would all get fried so it wouldn't help that much :D

• 7 months later...

My Dad had an interesting solution to modern transportation being knocked out by an EMP, or similar:

Train Museums.

The steam locomotives and old, pre-integrated circuit, diesel locomotives could be put back into service.  There are often staff at the museums who would know how to operate them and they usually still have rail connections to the main lines.

Now you have a means of transporting supplies, materiel, and emergency responders en mass to the towns and cities where they're needed.

Archived