Advanced Crafting

The_Materialist

not really optimistic. It's just about how much I think they can stretch it without substantial changes/updates, or at least substantial announcements. 4 months is a long time between episodes. Being "episodic" has benefits, but also it's own costs, people expect regular updates. Once or twice a year won't cut it. Telltale games episodes are monthly, granted they're much larger outfit, but there's a lot of overlapping development in their schedule too. KSP has been updated every 1 to 2 months, 3 at the most, since 2011. Squad has about same team size as Hinterland now if I'm not mistaken. back in 2011 they were smaller.

Er... back to the original topic, if I may.

I think that crafting is indeed needs to expanded a bit but not too much. Let's be honest, we usually clear our bases to get rid most of the furniture  because they get in the way and have no or little use. But it might be sensible to introduce some more craftable items based on their utilitarian value or pure aesthetics:

• craftable headgear
  • craftable driers for clothes, hides, guts, saplings where these items will cure faster than if just left lying on the floor by 25%. The added benefit is less clutter on the floor. Also this will be a reason not to burn the reclaimed wood which now has little real use.
  • outdoor containers for meat (again less clutter)
  • craftable sled or travois for 30-50 kg. After all the sandbox experience is mostly nomadic and it is boring as hell to haul all the stuff between bases. However, the player when hauling a travois/sled should not be able to use rifle/bow/knife against wolfs. And sled, for example, might require expensive crafting of iron runners, or such items can be randomly found (1-2 per sandbox). A use for reclaimed wood again. Plus the sled/travois should deteriorate if used and must be repaired with scrap and reclaimed wood and superior tools.
  • water collector... probably not. The temperature seems too low even on sunny days, and usually water is not a problem anyway. Entirely another question is why we can collect potable (yuk!) toilet water - not in the form of ice at that - and cannot collect from fishing holes in fresh water lakes.
  • some crafting should be changed maybe... how so the improvised hatched does not require fir/cedar for its production? Yes, I understand that the handle is of metal, but maybe it is more logical for it to be of wood?
  • there is also the matter of whetstones. A very limited and valuable resource. Maybe it is worth putting a single grinding wheel in the each sandbox in one of hard-to-get places? This will make the player to actually explore entire world to find it and then make a trek there from time to time. Some bear-infested place with really bad whether and no shelter nearby, maybe?

1 hour ago, Prestermatt said:

I like this idea.  Make it somewhere harsh and not an ideal base – like Spence's is for the forge in FM.

Not sure if there should be a grind stone, but Three Strikes or Maintenance Yard would fit the bill here, though BR has pretty good weather and the Maintenance Yard isn't a bad base, but it's really far from the core maps. Three Strikes is in the most useless corner of the Unpleasant Valley and is a tough place to live as it's basically like Spence but with more rabbits. It's not too far from Farmstead, but it's a hike from anywhere else and you'll probably cross wolves getting there.

On 10/20/2017 at 5:34 AM, Wade said:

Unfortunately their idea of adding an "update", is passing off a basically useless mapping system as content.

If that is your opinion, you seriously lack on creative thinking. The mapping system is far, far better then most people think, and if it were done the way most people wanted, it would be lame and would make the game boringly easy. Mapping is more of a tool, rather than just a navigational utility. Its just fault of the people for not knowing how to properly use it.

And that same thing goes for crafting of clothes. Most people here want to have full clothing possibilities out of all the furs - being completely oblivious to the fact why the clothes are the way they are... to force players into hunting different animals and thus provide the challenge to the game. Rabbits are boringly easy to catch - if everything could be crafted out of their fur, most people would have materials to craft full leather clothing after 2 in-game days, and by the Day 10 they would have finished it all, too. There would be no challenge to it.

Not saying they should not add more crafting recipes, but with moderation. Too many crafting options and the crafting menu will need an overhaul too, because it will be confusing. Additionally, we know that new animals are likely to get into the game. I think that adds a new opportunity how to include new, better sets of clothing then there are now. My way of looking at it is that each article of clothing will have two tiers. Kind of like coats are right now - wolf coat is tier 1, bear coat is tier 2, since its more difficult to obtain. We know moose is getting into the game - I can see mooseskin boots and pants be a thing in the future, which would naturally be better than the deerskin versions of the game, as mooses are more likely to be rarer, and likely also dangerous to hunt.

4 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Most people here want to have full clothing possibilities out of all the furs - being completely oblivious to the fact why the clothes are the way they are.
Rabbits are boringly easy to catch - if everything could be crafted out of their fur, most people would have materials to craft full leather clothing after 2 in-game days

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here suggest that all clothing should be possible to craft from any fur. I don't really give a damn what fur it requires, so long as I can craft a hat from something... 

It really is a glaring deficiency that there's no way to craft headwear.

Archived