Mountain Hut Curing

omoon66

Yup. Mountaineer´s count as an "indoor" area, even if its not its own zone. So you will be a lot warmer inside, the temperatures based on outside weather will change inside the hut only mildly, and you can contract cabin fever when inside. You can also cure the hides inside, and if you drop your canned food on the ground, it will not degrade very fast (canned goods degrade fast outside, but slow inside), additionally meat dropped inside the hut degrades fast.

Closest "outside" shelter to Mountaineers is the fishing hut, if you would wish to have a place to go after contracting a cabin fever...

Something most people don't know - certain "outdoor" caves are "warm enough" so you can actually cure leather and guts in them as well (or saplings). For example, the outdoor cave in the "Ravine", close to the entry to Mystery Lake by the Dam.

16 minutes ago, omoon66 said:

Interesting, so one could live there. That would make an interesting base

It's not bad.  I tried out a new game there just for kicks, and it went fairly well.  I considered doing a Survival Stories write-up called "Living on a Prayer".

You need fuel because it is cold, but DP is small enough you can move around easily, there are rabbits, two mines for coal, and plenty of firewood.  At least on Voyageur, the wolves don't come up near the church.  Storage is a pain, but there are a couple of boxes.

I stopped playing and returned to my previous game just at the point where I had looted the map, made some arrowheads, and was preparing to hunker down and find a good hunting routine.  But I should play more of that game at some point.

I tried to survive a night there on Interloper, in the stone church, it gets cold, really, really cold... at least there is a fire barrel inside so you have a wind resistant fireplace. It's not terribly bad, but you can do a lot better on DP in Rikken. But at least you don't have any predators in the vicinity of the church, and the Coalmine 18 has entrance just down the slope of it.

47 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

It's not bad.  I tried out a new game there just for kicks, and it went fairly well.  I considered doing a Survival Stories write-up called "Living on a Prayer".

You need fuel because it is cold, but DP is small enough you can move around easily, there are rabbits, two mines for coal, and plenty of firewood.  At least on Voyageur, the wolves don't come up near the church.  Storage is a pain, but there are a couple of boxes.

I stopped playing and returned to my previous game just at the point where I had looted the map, made some arrowheads, and was preparing to hunker down and find a good hunting routine.  But I should play more of that game at some point.

Nice. If you do continue it, I would like to hear a write-up, that would be kinda cool

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Yup. Mountaineer´s count as an "indoor" area, even if its not its own zone. So you will be a lot warmer inside, the temperatures based on outside weather will change inside the hut only mildly, and you can contract cabin fever when inside. You can also cure the hides inside, and if you drop your canned food on the ground, it will not degrade very fast (canned goods degrade fast outside, but slow inside), additionally meat dropped inside the hut degrades fast.

Closest "outside" shelter to Mountaineers is the fishing hut, if you would wish to have a place to go after contracting a cabin fever...

Something most people don't know - certain "outdoor" caves are "warm enough" so you can actually cure leather and guts in them as well (or saplings). For example, the outdoor cave in the "Ravine", close to the entry to Mystery Lake by the Dam.

Most caves can be warm but only past a certain area can guts and hides cure. The area within the cave.

9 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Most caves can be warm but only past a certain area can guts and hides cure. The area within the cave.

Good point I should have mentioned in the first place. +1.

I believe that everything that counts technically as "indoors" can be used to cure stuff. But I am unsure whether spending too much time in the warm back of the cave can cause cabin fever risk. I wonder... something to test once I can. :D 

On 9/26/2017 at 10:10 AM, Mroz4k said:

In my experience that goes for most caves that don't have a loading screen. I had no idea that Mountaineer's hut could lead to cabin fever...

26 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

In my experience that goes for most caves that don't have a loading screen. I had no idea that Mountaineer's hut could lead to cabin fever...

Yes, from a certain temperature in the back of the cave, things can be cured - but I am starting to doubt whether the cave there can increase cabin fever - I believe it doesn't. But yes, mountaineers and even the lookouts all count as "indoor" areas and can cause cabin fever. 

But not all the caves are deep enough to be that way, at least I think. I am not sure about this, but I think that for example the cave already mentioned here before, the one on the middle of the winding river, does not go deep into the rock to have temp so high to allow for curing. But I don't have that tested.

Archived