Annoying Aurora Effects (Disappearing Animals)

Hesha

I've about had it with these damn Auroras. I hate them.

First of all: What's with the sounds? Is the Aurora supposed to have an audio element? Is that what the actual Aurora sounds like in Mackenzie's world? Or is it a game soundtrack?

I have deliberately disabled music in my game because I find it immersion breaking to have music played at random events when I'm out in complete wilderness. But I cannot turn off the Aurora sounds. If they are in-world sounds, fine, I'll accept that. But I still don't like it.

Now to the biggest issue: Disappearing Animals

This is such a pain in the arse. It has happend numerous times now, that animals have simply disappeared from right in front of my eyes / iron sights when the game switched from Day to Night or vice versa. There can be no deer out during Aurora nights, so they just vanish into thin air as soon as the clock strikes whatever, whether you are right next to them or even if they are running away from you with an arrow stuck in their neck. So you lose the deer AND the arrow. Great.

Same thing happens with "green" predators, who simply disappear in the morning and their non-glowing counterparts get respawned.

Can you please fix this?

The sounds are part of the game. Some of them sound quite realistic and some of them are not. To me they still sound kinda cool though, haunting almost.

As for the dissapearing animals... sounds like a bug to me. And I think I've seen deer out on Aurora nights though.

9 hours ago, Fuarian said:

The sounds are part of the game. Some of them sound quite realistic and some of them are not. To me they still sound kinda cool though, haunting almost.

As for the dissapearing animals... sounds like a bug to me. And I think I've seen deer out on Aurora nights though.

Quite a few times now, I have seen groups of three or more deer just vanish into thin air from right before my eyes. It is definitely happening.

5 hours ago, Hesha said:

Quite a few times now, I have seen groups of three or more deer just vanish into thin air from right before my eyes. It is definitely happening.

Same here, although I can't conclusively say it's the aurora causing it, because it's happened to me at least once when there wasn't one.  

I agree with you about the sounds. I don't have anything against the sound itself, but it's a little over the top.  The aurora borealis does make sound that can be heard by humans at times, but I don't think it's anything like the mechanical whale singing that we have in game. 

• 2 weeks later...

The music is there to tell you what time of day it is. The same song always plays at the same time each day, if you're outside.

My guess is that since the aurora is considered a "weather", they've tied the aurora music to the weather sfx, because they don't want it to behave like the other music in the game (telling you when it's lunch time, when the sun's going down, when dusk hits, midnight, etc).

Personally, I like the music. It's pretty and useful because it's not random. 

Archived