Unlucky

Avelyan

I'm telling you, I'm having the worst luck on this particular session.  I'm playing Voyageur and I have survived for 217 days (not the unlucky part). I have searched 100% of Mystery Lake, 90% of Forlorn Muskeg and approximately 50% of Broken Railroad (assumption based on map size).  I have found eight knives, thirteen hatchets and exactly ONE whetstone (that's the unlucky part).  ONE!?!?  I can't keep anything sharp.  Is there another way to sharpen knives and hatchets?  If anyone knows another way, puh-LEESE tell me!

Avelyan

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

It must be contagious.  I'm on Interloper day 29.  I spawned in Desolation Point, searched everything, then traveled to Coastal Highway and combed all the locations I know of looking for a hammer and other supplies (found a hacksaw in DP).  I found the hammer, went back to Desolation Point and forged a hatchet, knife, and arrowheads.  Back to Coastal Highway to check a couple more buildings and now about to enter Pleasant Valley.  My bad luck is I have not found a hat or scarf yet.  I can't be outside more than a few minutes without the threat of frostbite, and the weather is steadily getting colder now.

6 hours ago, Avelyan said:

Thanks.  I'll see what i can find in TWM.  Hopefully more than one......hehe

You will, well, assuming you find whetstones in the Plane cargo boxes. They work that way - they will contain certain type of item, usually 2 or 3, and there will be a number of said items. For example "herbal tea and Coffee can", both of which you will find from 5 to 10 pieces on Voyageur. Whetstones is something that counts as "tools" so if you find one, you might find them in a box with 8 extra hatchets. One may never know.

But I have never been in a Voyager game where I didnt have at least one box contain whetstones. They are not super rare.

Apart from TWM, you want to focus on looting "industrial locations" as those have more things that spawn tools/whetstones. So, basically places with Workbenches, bunkers, basements, the gas station, Desolation point which has the boat and whaling factory, and the mines. All those places have more chance of spawning the whetstones.

And if neither of those help, you can always smith disposable hatchets on a furnace :D A bit worse to use, but they are disposable and if you keep your hammer repaired, you can craft a crap ton of them.

On my current play though I'm about 30 days in and haven't found any pants other then one pair of jeans. And this was quite a while after a wolf ruined my first pair. 

Perhaps my priorities are wrong but I find running around the woods with my junk hanging out far worse then the lack of warmth.

I think I remember reading something a long time ago about beginning a new game. The statement was that on each play through, the game decides 1 or 2 things that are gonna be super rare.  I may be thinking of some other game I played over the years, but I think it was TLD.  I'm currently doing a pilgrim run just to do the mapping, but Ive been pretty diligent about looting as well, as I may turn this into a long term experiment to see just how long certain things will get you. At any rate, with BR, FM, ML, Ravine, CH, Connector and Coal mine, FULLY looted, and half of DP looted, Ive found exactly ONE rifle cleaning kit, and ONE pair of long underwear, and only 3 whetstones. On Pilgrim... I've got a hundred and fifty of every other item in the game, except rifles. 

yeah that sad alright.  sorry but I have used up like 3 of them and still have exactly 6.  

along with 3 or 4 hatches and knives still in decent shape.

my thoughts if you haven't done so yet is to go to Timberwolves mountain and loot those cargo containers at the summit.  

also I just realized that those cargo containers have 2 sides to each,  I didn't notice this and had to go back up, and I'm glad I did.  good luck

(also playing voyager, at about 172 days I think.)

Archived