youd think after almost 100 days...

Simone Else

that this fool would learn how to walk in snow without spraining his ankle about 2- times a day. oh and wrist too.  i can see it if your on a steep hill while maybe having a rifle in your hand, while encumbered.  but walking up a not steep hill, with nothing in your hand and not encumbered, it shouldn't be happening AT ALL.   how about a perk that after you sprain your ankle 100 times you wise up.

Just how are you guys doing this ?? The only few times I sprained an ankle, it was when I chose to walk on a slope that would have needed a rope, because I wanted to stay on high grounds... Choose your paths more wisely, the first thing to do in a survival situation is to preserve your physical integrity.  ;)

TLD always was so much more immersive for me because I have genetically bad ankles and I sprain my ankles all the time as well. And yet I still love outdoors.
Sprains are a pain because they make you very exposed and they are a random occurence in TLD. I usually just embrace them, except for the sprained wrists if I am walking through a dangerous location, or a rope that needs to be climbed up, since I tend to just jump off the ledge instead of climbing ropes down. 

Wish they took a look at my idea of how to treat sprains rather then by popping the painkillers each time, using the bandages.

12 hours ago, godhelpme89 said:

This is one of the few things that annoy me. I think they should add a tripping animation. For some reason it just looks strange to be walking along and for seemingly no reason I sprain my ankle. 

You dont have to trip to sprain your ankle. I suppose you need to fall to sprain the wrist but the ankle can be sprained while standing. It happens when you place your foot incorrectly and it twists side ways as you put the weight on your leg. I never fall down when I sprain my ankles.

Yes, I get that. But I'm sure most of here have walked at some point in our life. And I'm sure most of get to where we are going without injury the vast majority of the time. But when we trip we have an increased chance of injury, even if just a stubbed toe. So an animation that goes with the injury would be nice.

Its called immersion.

On 8/28/2017 at 2:45 PM, loriaw said:

I can shinny down the cliff from the Summit on TWM without a scratch ... but I'll sprain both ankles and a wrist tramping across the frozen lake.

22 hours ago, loriaw said:

I get sprains walking on flat/level ground 95+% of the time.
I've gotten three sprains, walking unencumbered, while crossing the lake. Choose my paths more wisely?!? Lol ... the only wiser path I could choose would be one heading to a southern boat dock.

In my experience, and I've seen posts from others confirming this, most 'flat ground' sprains happen when you're looking around as you walk. By spinning around to scan the area, whilst using the strafe keys to keep moving more or less in the same direction, you're basically not looking in the direction you're going.. and your chance of sprains goes up accordingly. On the advice of the others I mentioned above, once I began coming to a halt whenever I wanted to scan for threats, the number of 'flat ground' sprains I suffered dropped to almost nothing.

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

In my experience, and I've seen posts from others confirming this, most 'flat ground' sprains happen when you're looking around as you walk. By spinning around to scan the area, whilst using the strafe keys to keep moving more or less in the same direction, you're basically not looking in the direction you're going.. and your chance of sprains goes up accordingly. On the advice of the others I mentioned above, once I began coming to a halt whenever I wanted to scan for threats, the number of 'flat ground' sprains I suffered dropped to almost nothing.

I think Scyzara told us that. Now when I get a sprain while walking I curse myself because I wasn't facing forward....

Hm... sprains shouldn't occur when on level ground (unless you get them in a struggle). The direction your survivor is facing relative to their movement shouldn't have any impact, either. I'll bring this up with the team.

If anyone manages to capture a sprain occurring on flat ground in a video, please create a report in the Public Bug Database and include a link or attachment of it. This would really help the devs to look into it!

It is a punishing game mechanic that imo doesn't strike the correct balance within the boundaries of the gameplay. It discourages exploration off the beaten path the developers want us to tread, is how I interpret its design from playing.

I have suffered sprains mere feet away from the proper road due to a slight incline or bump, because I dared to walk on the outside of the railing for a moment. The most irritating is when a double sprain on both an ankle and a wrist occurs simultaneously which happens far too frequently in my experience. Perhaps the chance is greater when on higher difficulty levels?

Then there are the times when a sprain occurs which is completely justified, such as being a few kilos over encumbered while attempting a steep climb up a hill or most recently while I walked backwards baiting a bear and went up an incline and over a rock.

So how consistent can it be implemented without losing the challenge of suffering from the affliction or causing too much irritation?

Should we always expect to have a sprain occur whenever we go up a hill, especially while over encumbered or should the dice be rolled during such an attempt?

Personally I would like to have the players condition be a strong factor of this affliction occuring. For example if I am extremely tired, dehydrated or starving and I am running from wolves uphill over encumbered during a blizzard the chance should be very high for a sprain to occur:P

I don't dislike the mechanic I just feel like it is inconsistent and unbalanced. :coffee:

8 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

The direction your survivor is facing relative to their movement shouldn't have any impact, either.

To me, it makes some degree of sense that it does.. if a person isn't looking where they're going, then they're more at risk of putting a foot wrong.

8 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

I'll bring this up with the team.

Thanks! I'd be very interested in hearing their responses.

Strange, I turn around all the time and I walk sideways, because I have made it a routine to scan my area as I walk 100% of the time, and while I used to suffer tons of sprains on flat lands in game pre-Faithful Carthographer, ever since that update came with First Aid changes, I dont remember ever getting sprains on flat land. In a slight elevation and very rarely, yes, but not on straight-up flat land.

Ice lakes are something different, that happens on occasion. I always assumed it is to emulate the fact that ice can be pretty smooth and it is easy to trip on it. But I dont remember straight up getting a sprain on a flat land other than a lake for a long, long time. 

Maybe I just grown accustomed to getting them, though. Sprains are something I just dont really pay attention to anymore that much. Only ever cure wrists in dangerous areas.

Aah interesting. As always they are totally random and so this generally means i'll get a lot in a short burst and then none for a while. I do not have video but can confirm i've had sprains walking on the road.

On the higher chance while strafing and not looking forward, i see the logic, i really do, but its not right. Its because we're on a narrow FOV screen we have to scan  and move our whole body, whereas in reality you'd just turn your head for the 270 degree awareness.

This has become abundantly more clear to me since i got myself a Rift,  Flying  Jets and trying out survival horror games.

Your situation awareness is so much hindered by a screen and this strafe walking is an unconcious compensation for that

1 hour ago, wahchewie said:

Aah interesting. As always they are totally random and so this generally means i'll get a lot in a short burst and then none for a while. I do not have video but can confirm i've had sprains walking on the road.

On the higher chance while strafing and not looking forward, i see the logic, i really do, but its not right. Its because we're on a narrow FOV screen we have to scan  and move our whole body, whereas in reality you'd just turn your head for the 270 degree awareness.

This has become abundantly more clear to me since i got myself a Rift,  Flying  Jets and trying out survival horror games.

Your situation awareness is so much hindered by a screen and this strafe walking is an unconcious compensation for that

Well just because it isn't fair for them to increase the chance of getting a sprain while walking sideways, it doesn't mean someone didn't program it that way. If we used the "it's not fair" argument half the game would have to be rewritten. Starting with 1 kilogram of rabbit meat only having 500 calories in it (instead of 1100) and it taking over 300 calories to harvest a whole rabbit with your bare hands....

That means for every rabbit you harvest with your bare hands you get a potential net gain of about 150 calories. Meaning you would have to catch and eat 15 rabbits a day to not starve if you wanted to harvest the whole rabbit each time, and not waste any guts or hide....

Not to mention seeing someone eat 15 kilograms of anything in one day and not internally hemorrhage would be an act people would pay to see....

29 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

That means for every rabbit you harvest with your bare hands you get a potential net gain of about 150 calories. Meaning you would have to catch and eat 15 rabbits a day to not starve if you wanted to harvest the whole rabbit each time, and not waste any guts or hide....

That doesn't really add up. A cattail stalk also gives you 150 calories, and as GreyStillPlays points out, if you have to it's possible to survive (in Interloper, no less) on just 5 cattail stalks a day. Which is equivalent to 5 rabbits, not 15.

3 minutes ago, StrayCat said:

Hehehehehe..  sorry.. but you are WAAAAYYYYYY to late to the party for that debate. It was over years ago. Yes, we all know about what happens IRL on a pure rabbit-meat diet. It doesn't matter. It's a game.

Yes, it's ridiculous. So what? A mega-crapton of stuff in TLD is ridiculous. TLD is what it is.. deal with it. :)

It's still one of the best games of its kind around, right?

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

That doesn't really add up. A cattail stalk also gives you 150 calories, and as GreyStillPlays points out, if you have to it's possible to survive (in Interloper, no less) on just 5 cattail stalks a day. Which is equivalent to 5 rabbits, not 15.

That's doing the eat right before you sleep to heal back the damage you took by starving yourself all day.....method. Some people treat that like an exploit almost. I was going by the actuality eat like 2500 calories a day method.....

Or were you trying to be facetious, and I didn't get it due to Autism?

18 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Here is the other thread with that post we were referring to, Mel:

Thanks Thrasador. The mods don't have any special access to information regarding mechanics, so if they give advice regarding gameplay it is generally drawn from their own (considerable) experience. It's possible she could have been mistaken, or that this is some kind of strange bug.

12 hours ago, JAFO said:

Thanks! I'd be very interested in hearing their responses.

They didn't have too much to add at this point . The devs have confirmed that sprains shouldn't occur unless the survivor is moving on sloping ground, and that the direction they are looking is not one of the variables factored into the probability of an injury occurring.

We'll keep an eye out for issues. Again, if anyone gets any video of sprains happening suddenly on level ground, please let us know!

32 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

That's doing the eat right before you sleep to heal back the damage you took by starving yourself all day.....method. Some people treat that like an exploit almost. I was going by the actuality eat like 2500 calories a day method.....

Or were you trying to be facetious, and I didn't get it due to Autism?

Maybe I took

2 hours ago, Thrasador said:

eat 15 rabbits a day to not starve

a bit literally.. I can be like that sometimes. ;)

23 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

They didn't have too much to add at this point . The devs have confirmed that sprains shouldn't occur unless the survivor is moving on sloping ground, and that the direction they are looking is not one of the variables factored into the probability of an injury occurring.

We'll keep an eye out for issues.

Thanks Mel.. much appreciated. A further question for them.. what about on ice? Several reports mention sprains while crossing flat ice. Is there any (for example) "slipperyness" factor taken into account by the game, that might explain this? If not, this might be where the bug can be found.

Archived