What do you think??

So, my question to everyone reading this is, what do you guys thing about a sidescrolling 2d game based around the long dark and its story mode? I am a fan of TLD and would like to try my hand at game making using Game Maker Studio Pro which i bought at the humble bundle going on currently. This would be my first game made completely from scratch and not in a drag and drop type system. I already started but would like some feed back. I have a sprite for the main character (tell me what you think) which I will post down below.

I am going to try my hardest as a first time "game dev" to make this something actually playable. Thank you and don't forget to comment thoughts below. I will be posting status updates whenever something big happens in the process of this creation.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention that I won't be ripping off the game in any way I just am taking the base ideas of the characters and environment. I would also like to say that I will not be selling it or posting it anywhere else other than on this forum.   

598e22fb71d86_tldcarachter.PNG.55948cbcc5229b87dcbda02c418938d4.PNG 

3 hours ago, Docterrok said:

I think it's a dope idea, however, make the game your own, who knows, it might be good enough to publish, personally, I wouldn't take someone else's idea.

Its meant to be a fan game so technically I am taking the idea but thanks for the feedback

You can't just lift an idea wholesale; you will have to make changes, some core, some less grand but nonetheless different. Fan game (not sure what that actually means) or not, imitation isn't always flattery and is often met with a cease and desist letter. :)

On a side note, please ask that photographer to stop the picture taking. ¬¬

On 19. 8. 2017 at 5:09 PM, Carbon said:

You can't just lift an idea wholesale; you will have to make changes, some core, some less grand but nonetheless different. Fan game (not sure what that actually means) or not, imitation isn't always flattery and is often met with a cease and desist letter. :)

On a side note, please ask that photographer to stop the picture taking. ¬¬

On the contrary, you cant really put a copyright claim on the entirety of a "survival" theme or even an "EMP" apocalypse, so unless there will be some core TLD situations like flickering lights during aurorae (as cool as that would be) OP should really be fine, unless he calls it something very related to the TLD.

I really dont see much of a problem with it, but the OPs first step should be to message someone here on Forums from the Hinterland and ask them if this is something they would be okay with, and await their response. That would be what I would do.

Just now, Carbon said:

And why would one do that? 

Not trying to be inflammatory but you're not seeing a problem doesn't mean there potentially isn't one.

To make sure they wont be stepping on any copyrights, obviously?
For someone who is not trying to be inflammatory you sure go out of your way to get into arguments. I clearly stated "I dont see anything wrong" but to be sure, OP should really make sure by asking someone from the Hinterland. For all we know, Hinterland might be overjoyed with that prospect of a fan game and will give OP a bigger leway in what can be depicted in the game. Or, the other way around - asking them seems like the best way to ensure there will be no issues in the end.

14 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

For someone who is not trying to be inflammatory you sure go out of your way to get into arguments. I clearly stated "I dont see anything wrong" but to be sure, OP should really make sure by asking someone from the Hinterland. For all we know, Hinterland might be overjoyed with that prospect of a fan game and will give OP a bigger leway in what can be depicted in the game. Or, the other way around - asking them seems like the best way to ensure there will be no issues in the end.

It's not argumentative to question the validity of a statement. With the Internet full of misinformation and ignorant people posting 'from the gut' on topics which require facts, I think it's more important than ever to be skeptical. As I said, unless you have the credentials which would qualify an "I think..." statement, why make it? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Aside from this, you agree that there is potential for trouble and its best to seek counsel, essentially all I said in the beginning, yet you open with "On the contrary...". So, who is looking for an argument here?

The honest truth is the kindest thing we can offer, at times even above courteousness.

On 8/22/2017 at 5:59 AM, Mroz4k said:

I figured out how to ignore people on the forum last week.....I added like three names, and as a result I haven't read an argument all week....

Well, I half see arguments now due to people responding to the argumentative people....but even that is sooooo much better....

The only downfall of the system is people quoting the people arguing. I wish there was a way to also block quotes by other people who are quoting people who have been ignored....

Archived