Permadeath

andz

Have you ever played Rust? That concept of building everything up, only to see it fall back down again and have to restart, is not only a concept that makes some great video games, but it also applies to real life. In life you will do so much to get to where you are, but something; a mistake, a coincidence, or just plain random occurrence, will leave you with nothing. Permanent death in game is like death in real life; you lose everything you worked so hard for, but that's not the point. The point is whether or not you found value in doing the things you did, be that surviving 300 days on Interloper in game, or getting you college diploma in real life. It's not about what happens at the end, it's about how you feel about the things you did before the end came.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No arguing that.  I think it's important to realize that games are just that - games.  They're meant as a means of relaxation, forgetting about life for a while, excitement, etc. - possibly different for everybody.  I think we can all agree on one thing though - enjoyment.  Why else would be spend our time and money on it?  Heck, if you want the real-life survival experience, go do it! :fire:

One person may enjoy walking over coals (I know, extreme example), does that mean that everyone should do it?

On 13.1.2018 at 10:30 PM, hozz1235 said:

Let me know how you feel if you do die and have no back-up with that many days played and your ultimate goal of 500 days

Of course i would be both mad at myself and sad, like i was when i failed Elusive Targets in Hitman 2016, but permadeath is what makes TLD interesting and the feeling about death hanging over my head is what makes TLD a thriller, i can say you so much, if permadeath is removed from survival mode, i will stop playing it, because what's the point of the survival mode when it isn't any consequences?

On 1/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, ingrobny said:

Of course i would be both mad at myself and sad, like i was when i failed Elusive Targets in Hitman 2016, but permadeath is what makes TLD interesting and the feeling about death hanging over my head is what makes TLD a thriller, i can say you so much, if permadeath is removed from survival mode, i will stop playing it, because what's the point of the survival mode when it isn't any consequences?

HL would never remove it from the game entirely - they've made that very clear.  If  it was added as an option, sounds like that would please everyone.

Just curious, do you play other games that allow you to save the game?

Archived