Permadeath

andz

I just bought the game and because I know my way around survival games I started in stalker (after completing storymode) aiming for a 200 day survival mission. I have been playing the game for almost a week now, every day for 6 hours, and two days were just hauling thing from A to B.

Then, after I established a base with all tools and 30kg of meat,  I wanted to check how far you can fall without dying. So I just jumped down a cliff and died. Then I discovered the fact that, UNLIKE IN STORY MODE, there is a permadeath in The Long Dark. There has never been any information on that in the menu. Seriously, who klicks "read more" in Steam? I just watched some You Tube let's plays and they never died. So that issue never came up. I even have been reading like 50 pages in the Wiki on how to craft and where to go, and the information never showed up. Seriously, why would you force permadeath on players?

The game has been really great and I enjoyed every second of it, I am sad beyond belief. I have just uninstalled the game and will never recommend it to any one for its forced way of gameplay. It's like World of Warcraft would have decided to lock the camera in first person view, because it's thier vision for the game. Ridiculous. It's 2017. Let me enjoy the game how I like it. It is just so dissapointing.

Why would I even have the motivation to restart the game? I know what I have to do, so from this point, the first week of gameplay would just be re-grinding. It is as exciting as watching paint dry.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Permadeath has always been a part of survival mode. This is not a game in which you make a survival lope; survivor mode is where you have to face the fact that you will die and everything you are doing is to help slow the inevitable. 

Well, hopefully you learned your lesson and decided maybe what's beyond 'Read More' is a good idea to actually look at.

The Long Dark's survival mode has always been hardcore mode, and those Youtubers you watched did do you a disservice by not making that clear.  The two streamers(Quebec of the Twitch channel LongLiveQuebec and Zisteau of the Mindcrack squad) that really got me interested in the game both stated it succinctly: The Long Dark is an unforgiving game with no quicksaves or multiple lives.

You can choose to give up now, or you can get back on that saddle and likely do better with the knowledge you gained from that first playthrough.  There will be a lot of differences in the next playthrough that will change a lot how the game feels.  Some places will actually be destroyed and inaccessible, and there will be some places you couldn't access before. Items will either be missing or present where they were the opposite before.  And you will also start in a new location, even if you choose the same region as you started in before.

Story Mode is great for actually learning the game. There is a lot put into that mode that will help you understand the mechanics of the game. But it also comes with a checkpoint and save system, so you can carry on with the story.

Survival is something else entirely, and it will do everything it can to grind you down and spit you out. It is not for the timid.

Just today I got chased back into Camp Office twice by wolves for whatever reasons they feel the need to camp out the railroad tracks that go through Mystery Lake that day.  I was at the point where I had to go out and find more to survive or be in worse shape the next day.  So I tried one more time, managed to catch the second wolf that had chased me before unawares and managed to make my way to Trapper's Cabin(that's the cabin you see in the opening menu screen and is a nice place to usually find good inventory)  Sadly I did not find more clothing, so I still have to deal with a lot of the cold while deciding if I should just make for Carter Dam and move on.  I may not, as there is bound to be wolves still stalking around the rails. Not necessarily the same place before, as they do move around, but it is bound to happen.

And that is what keeps me going. I can sit and worry, or I can get out there and experience the adventure.  I choose the adventure, whatever it brings me.

5 hours ago, andz said:

The game has been really great and I enjoyed every second of it, I am sad beyond belief. I have just uninstalled the game and will never recommend it to any one for its forced way of gameplay.

What.. you enjoyed every second of the game, but have quit because of permadeath in Survivor Mode? Seriously? Permadeath is one of the best features of TLD. It's what stops you taking stupid risks with your character, just because you can always reload your last save and try again. I guess maybe you're not the kind of person who really enjoys learning from their mistakes. That's a shame, but if TLD ain't your thing, I do hope you find a game more to your liking.

Actually, you always can reload your last save, it's just stupidly tedious.  You can even make spiffy folders to save all your saves if you really wanted, it's just more stupidly tedious.

The complaint is legit.  Why should he be forced to play a certain way?  It's a single player game.

Also, you guys are being way too harsh.  He was experimenting because he wanted to learn something about the game, but didn't realize doing so could end his game (and had reason to think it wouldn't).

I don't mean to pile on here, but I'm somewhat bufuddled by your reasoning and logic regarding "survival mode" in The Long Dark. I would have thought that the mere title of the mode of play would've been Indicative that this was not going to be something that would follow the storyline, but rather be a mode of play that would gauge your ability to survive.

All of us to have followed the game  from the beginning have known this to be just the norm. I can understand, if you saw the game and purchased it on a whim, that you might not have been aware of this reality, but don't blame the game, rather reevaluate  your approach to the game and realize that this is not your ordinary kind of a game…this really is about testing your wits in the game and how to survive. 

I truly hope that you give the game another chance because I can tell you from experience, this is the best survival game I have ever played.    I wish you the best and hope that you find your way back to The Long Dark.

12 hours ago, happybjorn said:

Actually, you always can reload your last save, it's just stupidly tedious.  You can even make spiffy folders to save all your saves if you really wanted, it's just more stupidly tedious.

The complaint is legit.  Why should he be forced to play a certain way?  It's a single player game.

Also, you guys are being way too harsh.  He was experimenting because he wanted to learn something about the game, but didn't realize doing so could end his game (and had reason to think it wouldn't).

Actually, nobody is being harsh at all. The permadeath is a key feature of the survival game, of course it is forced. The way you put it is like saying they were being forced to play the game in the first place.

If anyone's being harsh, it is you for pointing out that there are ways around, but without going into detail or linking to a forum thread describing it.  I wouldn't recommend it myself, because that can easily lead to mistakes where you end up losing those saves.  And then you just get upset at Hinterland some more over your own actions.

That was part of the edginess that got me hooked. It was/is unforgiving - the Sandbox Survival mode, that is.  I've made it to 300 days, but one stupid move ended that. The last save is always after bedroll, or event, like falling through the ice. Once I got stuck between a fallen log and rocks and could not get out, so I shut it off and re-started at the cabin I was at.  Jumping off a cliff is sheer suicide.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎06 at 8:44 PM, andz said:

I have been playing the game for almost a week now

Seriously, why would you force permadeath on players?

The game has been really great and I enjoyed every second of it,...

Why would I even have the motivation to restart the game? I know what I have to do, so from this point, the first week of gameplay would just be re-grinding. It is as exciting as watching paint dry.

I feel ya bud. The game is harsh, and if you didn't do some research, some of its mechanics might be quite a surprise. But don't rage quit! You only spent a short time in the sandbox and made a mistake. That's just part of the learning curve and EVERYONE that plays this game has/will been/be a victim to it. Starting over might seem like a tedious task, but I assure you that might not be the case. Try restarting in a new area. Don't give yourself goals other than surviving. Before you know it, you'll be feeling like the king of the world again! Until you piss off a bear or wolf and have to start yet again. Learn to enjoy failure and all the pitfalls and joy that happened while making the journey. And remember this most of all, you're fine. You got to play out in the woods in the middle of winter, in the middle of nowhere, with only YOU deciding your fate. In real life how often do you get to do that?

11 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I feel ya bud. The game is harsh, and if you didn't do some research, some of its mechanics might be quite a surprise. But don't rage quit! You only spent a short time in the sandbox and made a mistake. That's just part of the learning curve and EVERYONE that plays this game has/will been/be a victim to it. Starting over might seem like a tedious task, but I assure you that might not be the case. Try restarting in a new area. Don't give yourself goals other than surviving. Before you know it, you'll be feeling like the king of the world again! Until you piss off a bear or wolf and have to start yet again. Learn to enjoy failure and all the pitfalls and joy that happened while making the journey. And remember this most of all, you're fine. You got to play out in the woods in the middle of winter, in the middle of nowhere, with only YOU deciding your fate. In real life how often do you get to do that?

Good answer!

He hasn't logged on since he made this post....I don't think he is coming back...oh well....

The game is awesome!

It clearly states the survival mode of the game has permadeath in the "about game" section of the Steam store. When I buy something I tend to read the box, or the instructions....whether it is a video game or prescription medication. It is the first step one should complete....Ideally before making a purchase if possible, in this case it was. I guess you didn't. I always read more about a product before I buy it, and read reviews first as well if possible. Like my father taught me, money doesn't grow on trees. You should never make uninformed impulse purchases unless money is of no importance to you.

Everyone dies playing this game, often more than once. It is part of the game and it is what makes it fun. Every time you start a new Sandbox run it's different. You can start on any map you want, or set it to pick a random map. Once you do so, you then spawn in a random location on the map you picked, or that the game picked for you.

What you choose to do immediately upon starting, and what you find when you get to where you decided to go is different every time. You find new clothes, new tools, new foods, new shelters, and new books...the list goes on and on. Some shelters are burned down now, others aren't. What is in each location is often vastly different. There is a new random bunker spawn in both Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley to find and loot....It's awesome.

Sorry you gave up after your first death, and sorry you chose to die on purpose by jumping off something for no reason whatsoever....that's probably what upsets you the most, but that wasn't the game's fault. You chose to kill yourself in the game, and you chose not to read the information present on Steam about the product you purchased. At least now you know, and hopefully you will try again and find a brand new way to die, and then start again after that, like the rest of us do....

Hopefully you'll cool off and give it another go, it's worth it...

1502225369469-431275600.jpg

Archived