The aurora

Zeppelin

1 minute ago, Zeppelin said:

The aurora - how does it work? Does it appear randomly in some nights, or do I have to do something special to make it happen? I've been waiting several nights for the aurora to appear (hour by hour), but it doesn't.

I was wondering the same thing,

Will you Mainlanders ever learn?

[Minor Mission Spoiler Alert]

Summary to avoid unintended spoilers within the post

1. First appears in 2nd episode when you have to repair a rifle.

2. From my experience appeared again 4 nights later. EDIT: I had 2 consecutive nights of Aurora so it may be random.

3. Effects wildlife and electrics.

4. Emits a weird sound and some cool lights.

[Major Spoilers Below]

The Aurora first appears during a mission given by Jeremiah(me) in the Broken Railway region when you have to repair my rifle at the train repair shop. From my experience, it also tends to appear every 4th night or so.

Upon leaving the shop with a successfully repaired rifle, Mackenzie collapses from a head injury and the time passes to night time, where he is awoken by the Aurora Borealis above him.

It illuminates the night sky with fantastic colours like deep purple, bright blue, and stunning green.

The Aurora also emits a funky sound. I struggle to sleep in the Trapper's cabin with the lights and constant sound, but it's worth it for the sight.

You can view screenshots here : 

In terms of it's effects, the Aurora causes electical devices to power on, including a torch which Mackenzie finds shortly after the first Aurora experience.

The wolves turn green and are ferocious as well during the event. They're scared by the working lights most of the time. You can see the Aurora, the flashlight, and the green wolves in my 20 second video below. I sort of freaked out when the wolf charged me, but atleast you'll get a laugh.

Video Link : Click Here

Additionally, the wolves will appear green during the evening if an aurora is going to occur during the night. For those of you stuck waiting for the aurora for the dam mission, you will be able to see green wolves and make full use of the evening to get to the dam.

Edited by Jeremiah
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, June said:

Didn´t read much to not be spoiled, but I love how you took over the character ^^

Thanks for the reputation.

I made a brief summary above the post, so hopefully others like you won't see anything too specific.

Well, I like to  think that the aurora appears every 4 day, but I have been outside the dam for between 12 and 16 days now. Still no aurora, although I check every night, every hour. I have used almost all my bullets and flares on deer and wolves, so I'm not sure I can survive any longer, just waiting outside. And I can't get any further in the story the way it is... What am I missing?

49 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

This is really embarassing. The mission told me to go to the dam at night, but I actually had to go another place first (sidestory). I feel stupid. Honest, but stupid.

Typical Mainlander! Can't follow simple instructions...

Get to it and quickly! My health is degrading as we speak and I won't hold out for much longer!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

This is really embarassing. The mission told me to go to the dam at night, but I actually had to go another place first (sidestory). I feel stupid. Honest, but stupid.

Okay.  So, I'm having a similar struggle.  So, I only have one quest left, the one to return to XXXXX tomorrow to check on it.  I've done so.  Twice now.  The quest will not complete, I can't find anything around to finish that side quest.  Is that the one you had to do?  Because I'm starting to feel the game is bugged. 

14 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Well, I like to  think that the aurora appears every 4 day, but I have been outside the dam for between 12 and 16 days now. Still no aurora, although I check every night, every hour. I have used almost all my bullets and flares on deer and wolves, so I'm not sure I can survive any longer, just waiting outside. And I can't get any further in the story the way it is... What am I missing?

I have the same problem. The Aurora spawned when I was hunting close to the "unnamed pond", so I spent alot of time trying to get to the Dam. Once in the Dam I didn't know what to do, so the Aurora faded away and power with it. Now I'm trying to camp outside, but it doesn't seems like it will trigger again and I'm running low on bullets and supplies :-/

Anyone have any tips to trigger the event?

8 minutes ago, i8turky2 said:

Im stuck at the bit waiting for the aurora  at the dam? Already feels like ive waited to long. Have i missed something? I havnt done all the sidequests ? Do they all need to be completed? Help me guyz!! :/

I'm also at the point where you have to go to the dam. However, for me I had the aurora occur 2 nights consecutively so... I think it may be random.

Tip: If you see green wolves in the evening, you know there is an aurora on the way at night, so make full use of the remaining daylight to get to the dam.

Edited by Jeremiah

Thanks Jeremeiah! I will be looking for green wolfes in the evening.

Tip from me: I tried to shot a green wolf. But one bullet to the face was not enough, so I got in a struggle. Wolfes also seem more aggressive during this Aurora. Can anyone verify?

41 minutes ago, simrune said:

Thanks Jeremeiah! I will be looking for green wolfes in the evening.

Tip from me: I tried to shot a green wolf. But one bullet to the face was not enough, so I got in a struggle. Wolfes also seem more aggressive during this Aurora. Can anyone verify?

I can confirm this.

http://plays.tv/video/5982173a452f94347d/mouse-freakout-tld?from=user

They're terrifying.

I noticed that they also tend to 'chase' you more. Before the update I remember being able to walk for ages with a wolf following me without attacking me. Recently, they follow for about 2 minutes then move in for the kill. Especially during the aurora, you can't escape them!

Edited by Jeremiah

So I killed the bear and made it to the dam mission. About 2-3 days later, the aurorae appears, but i don't make it in time. I've now waited about 14 days of ingame time...

I havn't done the Old letters side mission. Am I supposed to go to forlorn muskeg, wait for the aurorae, complete the mission, go back and wait again?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am still waiting for the Aurora at the Dam, it has been about a week in game time and it still has not triggered. I read in another post that waiting in the dam does not affect triggering the Aurora but it doesn't seem to want to appear. Am I doing something wrong? I am getting tired of having to wait this long. Do we need to finish all the side missions for it to be able to trigger? Can someone try to answer these questions? 

I decided to finish up a side mission I skipped out on, the Forge Blueprint at Forlorn Muskeg. I managed to get back to the dam before night falls and Methuselah was there in the yard in front of the Dam! He spewed some garbage which, in the big scheme of things perhaps doesn't affect the story. On top of that, the aurora finally showed up! I was super drained but I decided I had to go through the dam coz the aurora might not show up again if I skipped out that night. Long story short, and also not wanting to spoil things for those who haven't gone through this part, I managed to go through the dam, even though I was super drained. 

So maybe, the aurora was triggered when I went away from the dam for a period of time because all this while I've been hanging around pretty close to the dam. I am glad I decided to do that side mission though, I probably would still be waiting for the aurora had I not done that or perhaps it would have showed up anyway. No way of knowing what exactly triggered it. 

Edited by Joopsie

• 3 years later...

O

I solved the aurora of the game!! S

Here's what happens. In the game, we go where we need electricity and try to start the power tool, but it doesn't work. But after we do that, if we leave the building/building complex and wait until night, the northern lights appear in the sky. 

So at least in survival, the bullet in the bleak inler wounded him to get into his desk. If it worked there, why not in other game modes?