Suggestion: Enhanced Bedroll Usage

Starving_Deluxe

I concur. Having the option of using a sleeping bag while waiting would be a huge bonus and totally fits with the survival aspects of the game. The wear and tear on the bedroll could even be increased slightly when used thus, rational: the survivor is likely to shift and move around more when awake than when asleep.

I've always wondered why I dont get the extra warmth bonus by putting my sleeping bag in a bed. :)

I wanted this to be a thing a while back when I done a TM only run on stalker.

It wasn't too difficult, but this would have just saved a bit of wood.

23 hours ago, Starving_Deluxe said:

Why can the bedroll only be used while sleeping? A sane survivor would use it every time he is cold for sure. Certainly, further activities should be restricted and movement should be impossible while you're wrapped-in. What do you think?

23 hours ago, Fitz said:

Having the option of using a sleeping bag while waiting would be a huge bonus and totally fits with the survival aspects of the game.

23 hours ago, Starving_Deluxe said:

you'll have to decide whether to stay and be passiv, but warm - or move and be activ.

Essentially, this is exactly what the "Pass Time" mechanic already does.. whether in a bedroll, or a bed. Just click on the bed(roll) and select the 'Cards' icon instead of the 'Sleep' icon. You get the warmth bonus from the bed(roll) and time goes faster, without sleeping. You can also 'pass time' from the Radial Menu directly. I'd like to see reading whilst passing time made possible, but no other activities, please.

20 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

I've always wondered why I dont get the extra warmth bonus by putting my sleeping bag in a bed. :)

That would be a good option to have.. I've done it in real life often enough.

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Essentially, this is exactly what the "resting" mechanic already does.. whether in a bedroll, or a bed. Just click on the bed(roll) and select the 'Rest' tab instead of 'Sleep'. I'd like to see reading whilst resting made possible, but no other activities, please.

That would be a good option to have.. I've done it in real life often enough.

Wait, did I understand you correctly? This is already implemented? I can't check this, because I'm at work atm. But as I remember: if you use the "rest" function, you are not going to profit from the warmth-bonus of the bed(roll) - or am I'm talking nonsense?

Just now, Starving_Deluxe said:

Wait, did I understand you correctly? This is already implemented? I can't check this, because I'm at work atm. But as I remember: if you use the "rest" function, you are not going to profit from the warmth-bonus of the bed(roll) - or am I'm talking nonsense?

See my edited post above (I made a couple of accidental references to how it looked before the FC UI update) where I mention the icons.

Yes, this is already implemented. And yes, if you 'pass time' (not 'rest' as I mistakenly called it) then you get the warmth bonus.

Just now, Starving_Deluxe said:

But if you choose the "pass time" option directly via the campcraft menu, you don't have this option - and can't get the warmth bonus. Only if you choose a bed/bedroll and switch from "sleep" to "pass time". Correct?

I believe so.. haven't tested it, as I tend not to use the Radial Menu much.

On 26.7.2017 at 10:06 AM, JAFO said:

I believe so.. haven't tested it, as I tend not to use the Radial Menu much.

Finally, I did have the time to verify this. You're completely right: if you choose "pass time" from the radial menu, you won't have the option of using the bedroll. But if you select a bed or bedroll first and then choose "pass time" instead of "sleep", you'll receive the warmth bonus.

Thanks a lot for this valuable hint, JAFO!

@hinterland: perhaps there should be changes to the "pass time"-tooltip to make this more obvious? There might be in-game situations, where this simple interface handling knowledge could prevent to go into the long dark.

JAFO is correct. 
There are two ways to pass the time with the cards option if you have a bedroll - first one, selected through the radial menu. This option means you will just sit down and play with your cards - no warmth bonus.

Second option is to select your bedroll on the radial menu - deploy it on the ground, click on it - re-click to select the option "wait" and you can play with your cards inside of your bedroll. You get the warm bonus this way.
The downside of this is that you will be technically using your bedroll, which means its condition would be dropping the same way as if you were sleeping in it.
Additionally, you can also use bed in the same manner - just click on the bed and "wait" and you will get the bed warmth bonus.

4 hours ago, Starving_Deluxe said:

@hinterland: perhaps there should be changes to the "pass time"-tooltip to make this more obvious? There might be in-game situations, where this simple interface handling knowledge could prevent to go into the long dark.

With all due respect, I disagree. This game has always had the nature of rewarding those who use their logical thinking rather than those who don't. This is kind of an obvious thing to do, of course one would be warm if they dug themselves into a bed and waited there rather than sitting on a chair next to the bed... This game has a huge potential to teach the player to think more abstractly and logically, which is an awesome trait to have in real life. (and that brings me to this article and forum post, which I find myself agreeing with quite a bit)

1 minute ago, Starving_Deluxe said:

Well, you call it logical.

I call this bad game design.

How so? It literally lets you know what the "warmth bonus" is EVERYTIME you select any "waiting" option.
Right below the "Hours to wait" selection, there is a short summary where it says what the temperature bonus is. The fact that you never noticed this is your own problem for not paying close attention to what the game kept telling you the whole time.
That is not a bad game design, just reckless behaviour. It literally tells you the information every time you attempt to wait.

Because, if you select the "pass time" option from the first day by using the radial menu you won't ever notice that there is another menu that looks exactly the same - the only difference is, how you get there and an additional parameter displayed. Ok, maybe i'm just dumb - but for me, this isn't obvious. And it's not one of the survivalskill you need to learn: "Oh, it's better to wrap additional cloth around you when it's cold!" whaaam...you got rewarded! Lol, every child would know for sure! No, it's more like:"I know that it's better to wrap additional cloth around me when I'm cold" - but unfortunately,  the game does not show me this feature exists. And that's why I created this suggestion.

It does. It has done so for a long time. You are right, it won't tell you immediately, because if you choose to simply "wait" it will provide no warmth bonus. Sometimes, people don't have a bedroll, for example in Interloper you start without one. Some people just don't wear them. 
So it makes sense they can wait without the bedroll and receive no warmth bonus - perhaps their clothes are sufficient enough and they don't want to damage the bedroll pointlessly.

But you yourself knew there is a warmth bonus if you sleep in the bedroll, or in a car, or in a bed. Why should it be any different for waiting? If you know you have a bedroll, it is obvious that if you want to wait and receive a warmth bonus, you need to deploy the bedroll first, and then select an option to rest with the warmth bonus. Some people might choose to wait without the use of bedroll, shouldn't they have that option?
What if you are in the middle of a steep hill? You can't deploy the bedroll, means you can't make use of its advantages. If you tried it IRL, chances are you would slide down the hill in it and would injure yourself.

There is a reason why you need to deploy the bedroll before getting the bonus. Arguing that point is pointless and you know it.

Archived