cornered by the bear....

AZHockeyNut

then I got treated to having to crawl over him to get out lol!!! and a wolf came up.... so... I hit him with a flare gun, that was a pretty cool site to watch. like fireworks in the dusk....he ran all over the lake with his hair on fire. felt bad for him but I was exhausted and he was too fast for me to put him out of his misery.

Parasites aren't that bad, man. I eat bear all the time. On Stalker there's enough mushrooms on ML for two bouts of parasites, plus you've got the Ravine, Winding River and Farflung Mustard with loads more. And then there's the bottles of pills. And if you're careful you probably won't get them that often anyway.

Nice screenshot, though!

Ya I played on Voyageur and ate 2 bears without getting any parasites I just made sure I cooked the meat right before I ate it . I just stored the excess in the little cellar door on the Mountaineers Hut and brought out what I was going to eat that day and the next :)

12 minutes ago, Ahatch said:

Ya I played on Voyageur and ate 2 bears without getting any parasites I just made sure I cooked the meat right before I ate it . I just stored the excess in the little cellar door on the Mountaineers Hut and brought out what I was going to eat that day and the next :)

Plus remember that while you have parasites you can eat as much carnivore meat as you like without further penalty, which means you can make good use of the bear and not have to go out looking for food for at least 10 days.

43 minutes ago, Ahatch said:

Parasites doesn't seem to even be a thing on Voyageur anymore. Not sure when that happened, but this last sandbox I had going, I never had the parasite warning come up when eating predator meat. It's weird and I don't think I like that it's been removed in Voyageur. The only reason I noticed it was because I killed a bear to clear the area so I could hunt deer. I was low on other food at the time, so I snagged just a couple kilos of meat from it, to stretch what I had a few more days, since I'm not concerned with holding onto a 1% risk.

Gotcha. That's all good stuff. I play on stalker. Have plenty of fish and other food available so that much meat was going to take a while to haul one place to another and there were five or six wolves around which sucked. 

Thought you guys would love the pic.  I eventually crawled back over him to get back inside once I got out just to see if it worked

34 minutes ago, SteelFire said:

Parasites doesn't seem to even be a thing on Voyageur anymore. Not sure when that happened, but this last sandbox I had going, I never had the parasite warning come up when eating predator meat. It's weird and I don't think I like that it's been removed in Voyageur.

Parasites were removed from Voyageur because many people complained about the parasite mechanics and how not being able to eat wolf meat* made the game more difficult for them.

* Well, to be precise they felt like they couldn't eat predator meat any longer. Which was of course never true, it only required a bit of risk management. If you were willing to take a tiny 1% risk you could always eat a piece per day, or 2 pieces for a 4% risk. (I personally usually did the latter no matter the mode). But well, facts and feelings appear not to get along particularly well these days and thus parasites became a Stalker & Interloper-only thing.^^

8 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

If you were willing to take a tiny 1% risk you could always eat a piece per day, or 2 pieces for a 4% risk.

There is also the added risk of accidentally clicking "EAT" instead of "DROP" when you're handling the raw steaks midway through harvesting the bear carcass, and instantly getting food poisoning plus a 75% chance of parasites.

I don't recommend doing that. (But even then it shouldn't result in death unless you're really careless in the following days.)

Just now, Pillock said:

There is also the added risk of accidentally clicking "EAT" instead of "DROP" when you're handling the raw steaks midway through harvesting the bear carcass, and instantly getting food poisoning plus a 75% chance of parasites.

I don't recommend doing that.

I don't recommend mis-clicking in this game in general. ;p

On 12/31/2016 at 9:25 AM, Scyzara said:

I don't recommend mis-clicking in this game in general. ;p

That's pretty much a solid recommendation in any game. :P That's how you dismount a flying critter in mid-air/accidentally kill a critical NPC/scrap a rare item/etc.

Archived