Cooked food, boiled water and heating effects

Viktor Kvasnica

Cooked food, boiled water and heating effects  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:52 AM, Viktor Kvasnica said:

Hi @cekivi,

can you, please, as a moderator lock/close the old topic, so the discussion will be focused in this new topic from now on? I tried to sent you a message, but you cannot receive messages.

Is it possible to merge the old comments here? I would have quoted one but I suppose I can cut and paste. Can we add a Poll to a thread which previous didn't have one? That might serve the same purpose only easier. Could be a limitation of the forum platform itself.  :(

There was a complaint that this activity of warming up by boiling water or reheating water would simply add clicks to the standard options of the game. Well warming up by the fire and drinking a warm beverage are good ideas. If you reheat .25 liters of water, it only takes a short time however the warmth bonus is quite good. You don't have to actually melt snow to do this; you could simply reheat water you already have in inventory. Many folks actually carry various herbal teas just for this very purpose. So how is this any different? you'd just be reheating water and conserving the medical tea for times that it was actually necessary. Seems reasonable; it's exactly what I would do if I were cold. I would not try to melt snow; I would simply reheat some that I already had in my water bottle.

Adding unnecessary clicks as a Standard Operating Procedure? Gee I guess we should just minimize all the clicks and make everything standard huh? Let the game play itself on automatic mode! Now that's an interesting idea because it would let us perhaps define keystroke macros to automate the most frequent activities. Fraught with hazards since you could accidentally eat something you intended to save for a special purpose and sort of does away with the risk of forgetting to hydrate upon waking. I don't think there is actually much that you could put into an automation macro. Maybe cook all food but that is better accomplished by a special button. Then you have to be sure you have enough fire time. Hmmm. How about a macro to automatically scavenge sticks as you walk? ;-) Good way to get stalked and lunched on by a wolfie! I usually have my head on a swivel and listening for bird and wild life sounds at all time. That's kind of the point of an immersive experience.

34 minutes ago, SteveP said:

You don't have to actually melt snow to do this; you could simply reheat water you already have in inventory. Many folks actually carry various herbal teas just for this very purpose. So how is this any different?

If it were to operate in the same way as tea/coffee etc then the difference is the warmth bonus you receive for about the next hour. And it does make quite a difference.

For now any tea is better than water: cups are 100 ml but quench thirst exactly as 250 ml of water + they give heat bonus + 100 ccal.

For thirst I did measure - full thirst is sated by 670 ml of water or by 3 cups of drinks. 2 cups fill you up exactly as 0.5 of water.

1 hour ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

In this thread birch bark tea was mentioned that it is a natural remedy for internal parasites. 

If implemented this solves the issue of hoarding herbal tea and coffee in order to make a hot drink.

Birch bark sources seem to be plentiful in several locations.

Birch bark tea

That's a great idea.  Once I discovered that you could make tinderplugs out of sticks way back when, finding tinder became trivial.  This would give birch bark a use, and more little "survival knowledge" tricks like this only add to the depth of the game.  The only possible issue is that it creates a regenerating food source in birch forests that requires no tools or weapons to farm (unlike the regenerating animal population).  Perhaps it could have a very low caloric benefit, like 50kcal per use or something.

Archived