Build your own safe house?

Jessica Kasumi

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking that one idea that could be incredible in TLD would be the ability to create your own safe house so you can have a property that has a personal touch if you catch my meaning. To do this, you would be able to cut down trees to collect logs so you can form a frame and walls for your makeshift cabin. Then harvest glass from old houses to protect the wind from coming into your cabin. To keep the cabin even warmer, you could use moss that grows on rocks, and then insert in between the cracks in the logs to form a makeshift sealant. Then, you could go to a store, find bags of dry cement, and with cement and water, you make concrete that you then mix with the same rocks that you found the moss on to make a makeshift fireplace. And with other logs, you could make your own furniture such as chairs, or wooden shelves to store your goodies on. Next, once you have a safe cabin you can reside in, and build fires inside, you can with a shovel, dig a hole into the ground, and make a makeshift icebox where you can bury food, and collect it down there. If not that, you could make a makeshift box, and put it in a tree high up that you can retrieve but an animal like say a bear won't be able to get into.
Love to hear your ideas on this,
Jessica K.

Indeed, i just had to check the roadmap and it says "Crafting for safehouse customization" as mid-term feature. I am not sure if you will be able to craft a complete house though, still it would be cool if you could customize existing houses (interior, etc.) ...

2 minutes ago, aurora said:

Indeed, i just had to check the roadmap and it says "Crafting for safehouse customization" as mid-term feature. I am not sure if you will be able to craft a complete house though, still it would be cool if you could customize existing houses (interior, etc.) ...

Thanks for letting us know ^_^^_^

I think there are too many buildings around to build your own house. It feels unbalanced. I think being able to customize already existing buildings would be cool though. Especially when NPC's come around. Boarding up windows. Moving furniture. Stuff like that,

Depends on the map I'd say.

In heavily overbuilt maps such as ML, CH and DP, nope. I'd love it in TWM though. Then again, that should take the player a few metrick truckloads of materials and time, so maybe after seasons are added? Can't make clay bricks or dry large amounts of wood in the cold I guess...

In TWM it would be at least very helpful if you could fix the only hut there is. During a blizzard the hut is even worse than a fishing hut i think, due to the open window (you can't close) and isn't the roof broken as well? (can't remember, haven't been there for a while). In RL this would be the first thing to do for me: repairing the window and the roof ...

On 7.10.2016 at 11:24 PM, Jessica Kasumi said:

Exactly Wastelander, I was thinking further down the road if, and when seasons are implemented. I don't think anyone would want to freeze their hind quarters off trying to cut down trees for logs.

True. Then again, what @aurora said is also true concerning vital repairs. Here's a guy building a house in the wild: 

5 hours ago, aurora said:

In TWM it would be at least very helpful if you could fix the only hut there is. During a blizzard the hut is even worse than a fishing hut i think, due to the open window (you can't close) and isn't the roof broken as well? (can't remember, haven't been there for a while). In RL this would be the first thing to do for me: repairing the window and the roof ...

There isn't a hole in the roof. It just has a giant natural skylight :silly:

57 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

@Jessica Kasumi I have a topic that is similar too your idea. 

That's not really all that similar, Rifleman. The only similarity is the customisation aspect.

With regards for the customisable safehouse, an alternative idea I had was that of a field tent, which not only allows you to create a custom safehouse, but also a portable one.

Visiting "Desolation Point" recently i thought if it would be cool, if you could build interior. I know this was asked before, but i think it fits to this thread as well. I am undecided with this. While i think it would be cool if you could craft armchairs (at least if you could sit down and relax on them), beds, etc. i am not sure, if it would harm the character of the game if you could for example build a workbench. At "Desolation Point" i would probably like to build a workbench in the lighthouse. But than again ... what would be the point in having to visit the abandoned fabric other than getting all useful stuff from it ...

I think similar applies to a safe house ... mmm ... what do other's think ... ? Would it be really cool or would it harm?

Archived