Indepth Sprinting

pigbull320

When you sprint it currently only burns calories, makes you tired, and drains your stamina bar.

I suggest that when sprinting the player gains a little bit more warmth, drains water thru sweat, and as the player's stamina goes down they get slower. (If the player didn't already do this).

Also it could sprain/bruise your ankle while sprinting in boots.

@pigbull320 I agree with most of your suggestions:

• Sprinting should give a slight temperature boost due to your increased metabolism (if it is not already a feature in game like MarrowStone posted above)
  • Your thirst bar would drain faster as you begin to sweat (which could actually be made even more of a concern by dampening your clothes, which would lower their effective insulation; this mechanic is currently only active when you fall through weak ice)
  • And as your stamina decreases so to should your running speed, since your muscles will be quickly running low on oxygen and fuel.

As for spraining your ankles while wear boots, I think that would be incorrect.  Boots have a high collar that covers your ankle and gives it the rigid support it needs to prevent it from over-exhorting itself, thus avoiding injuries like sprains.  Common shoes, however, don't cover your ankles, thus providing little to no support and overall you are more prone to ankle-related injuries while wearing them.

TL;DR, you are much less likely to get a sprained ankle while wearing a pair of boots rather than a regular pair of shoes.

Also, I just made another post on another thread in regards to sprinting while traveling on ice.  Check it out with the following link: Slipping on ice !!!

@Muk_Pile I meant to say sprain/hurt your shins. I wear boots everyday and the Army actually stopped making soldiers jog in boots due to this problem. They issue sneakers.

This would also provide a mechanic where you should carry some tennis shoes with you for when you need to run, at the cost of warmth for a few seconds and some extra weight you could increase the time/speed at which you can run and decrease the chance of injuring your shins. 

On 27.9.2016 at 11:24 PM, pigbull320 said:

@Muk_Pile I meant to say sprain/hurt your shins. I wear boots everyday and the Army actually stopped making soldiers jog in boots due to this problem. They issue sneakers.

This would also provide a mechanic where you should carry some tennis shoes with you for when you need to run, at the cost of warmth for a few seconds and some extra weight you could increase the time/speed at which you can run and decrease the chance of injuring your shins. 

So you would have to change your shoes when you see a wolf approaching you? :D

I disagree with sprinting affecting your thirst bar, at least, as suggested.

Exercise actually causes your body to go into water conservation mode, and drinking too much can actually lead to over hydration, which then can lead to water toxicity, or more likely, nutrient flushing. In all likelihood, running flat out in -20 degree weather, would not affect your overall hydration through sweat. Accelerated loss through evaporation by breathing through your mouth afterwords, now that will dry you out faster than grandma's brisket.

Also, drinking large amount of water during, or immediately following strenuous activity, can lead to vomiting due to sudden temperature shifts, or irritation of the stomach lining due to volume and texture shifts. And, running while being blasted with a windchill, will do almost nothing to warm a person up.

I don't think the devs are adding stomach lining or texture shifts in Alpha @Joelle Emmily

I don't know anything about these things I was only suggesting upon common sense, I'll let you brainy peeps do all the heavy lifting.

But wouldn't you sweat while sprinting? I mean after your stamina bar empties you can hear the player panting like someone stabbed him in the lung. Wouldn't the cold make the sweat even worse, lowering body temperature and water? Even if just a little bit?

Wouldn't running in cold weather heat you up slightly and drain a little water, then when you stop running you would get even colder due to the sweat? 

@pigbull320 There's no need to emulate a stomach lining, just the results, ie: drink a lot of water just after heavy exercise, and hurl.

The human body doesn't just sweat because you're moving... well, some people do, but they could have an underlining condition such as diabetes or heart problems. Sweating is a direct result of over heating, so even if you're working your butt off, if your core temperature, or your surface temperature, don't increase, you should not sweat. Like I said before, the primary mode of moisture loss in the cold, is breathing through your mouth.

A little background as to why you wouldn't, and shouldn't sweat while excising in the cold. When you're in a cold environment, and your surface temperature lowers, your blood vessels dilate to carry more warm blood to the area. When you move your muscles, a small amount of heat *is* generated, but for the most part, it's negligible, and would only be relevant if there was no wind chill. Further, this heat wouldn't be localized to the muscles, the dilated vessels would carry it throughout the body, and to places where your temperature has fallen below baseline. Depending on the environment, this could actually induce hypothermia much quicker, and the exercise itself can dilate the blood vessels, and therefore leach your heat way faster. This is why people *feel* warming, because their skin is warmer due to the dilation, but at the same time, their core temperature falls. Humans make crappy batteries Wachowskis!

On the other side of the coin, is if there is no wind at all. You could sweat buckets even at -40 degrees because the heat your body is generating, isn't going anywhere. Although not strictly accurate, it's like the difference between radiative and convective energy transfer. Radiative is like your stove element being on and just sitting there, its heat will expand outward, but the thermal layers around the element will insulate a greater heat transfer. However, if you blow on the element, you dissipate the trapped energy, and cause a wider area to become warmer. This isn't an entirely correct analogy because warm air rises so there will always be an air flow, but, the principal is the same, if the heat being generated is "conveyed" away from an area, a higher amount of energy can be transferred into the environment, but, if the energy stays local, like your body stuffed into an insulated bag, it'll accumulate, and you will over heat.

More background. Water, for the most part, isn't actually used by your body, it's primarily a solvent to dissolve nutrients in, and a conveyor to bring those nutrients to cells, and to take waste away from them. A gross little fact: on the space station, an astronaut will drink the same molecule of water hundreds, if not thousands of times while up there, because we don't break it down, or convert it into anything. Greater water use occurs when tissues are damaged, you lose blood plasma, or when a large amounts evaporate (yes, like with sweat, but mostly through lose from lung and soft tissue).

That concludes our nerd lesson for today. We know you have a choice when it comes to b***h-nerds, and we thank you for choosing us.

Archived