More Clothes Crafting Recipes (Hat, scarf, wooden fish hooks, etc)

markala5

Considering the Wrapped in Furs achievement (which still needs to be updated to include deerskin pants btw, lol), we should have the option to go full mountain man/woman.

CLOTHES:
-Rabbitskin Hat (or a Raccoon hat if they ever add those, then we can be Davy Crocket w/ our rifles): 2 cured gut + 5 rabbitskins 

-Rabbitskin Socks: 1 cured gut + 4 rabbitskins 

-Wolf Skin Scarf: 2 Wolf Pelt + 2 Cured Gut

-Deer Skin Shirt: 3 Deer Pelt + 3 Cured Gut

-Deer Skin Underwear/long johns: 2 Deer Pelt + 1 Cured Gut

TOOLS: (Should the mighty devs ever gift us with the ability to carve wooden things, both for tools and recreation alike)

-Wooden Fishing Hook: 1 reclaimed wood + knife [tool required] (produces 5 - 8 wooden fishing hooks, but they're flimsier than the metal ones; could tie into a woodcarving skill or something)

Any piece of attire should be craftable from any hide, if it can be made from hide. And  how exactly do you see some1 any1 makes socks, scarf or underwear out of hide ? Hide is not exactly material that fits for that type of clothing clothing, even if player would be expert leatherworker and have materials for fine curing..

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Any piece of attire should be craftable from any hide, if it can be made from hide. And  how exactly do you see some1 any1 makes socks, scarf or underwear out of hide ? Hide is not exactly material that fits for that type of clothing clothing, even if player would be expert leatherworker and have materials for fine curing..

When devs make curing more complicated/subtle than "throw X on floor" maybe ? I mean, I get it's not done, and I've read the wikihows, with the soaking, getting tannic acid, the different methods, hemlock or oak bark and what-not, so I get the devs making it simple for now. I'm not really sure where we (the player) would get salt, how are the skins tanning on the floor instead of rotting anyway(lol)?

I don't know, can't we make a tripod-thing somehow (other use for branches besides chopping) and smoke our leather before turning to clothes? Supposedly *checks 3 wiki-hows* it helps waterproof it... Windproof or durability bonus?

Just saying, Full Mountain Hermit outfit would be awesome (but hella 'expensive' to repair I suppose), it's like the player's gone full, post-aurora society native, like the vestiges of modern conveniences just stripped away...

I don't think 'mountain men' were wearing much in the way of fur longjohns and socks.  Something like that you either bought in town or you went without.

I suspect most mounten men were 'free balling' in their deer hide pants and were sockless.  I am pretty sure for most of the world wearing socks is pretty recent.  I know in the civil war era here in the USA most people just put shoes/boots directly on their bare feet.

So I'd not want leather socks, leather undies, leather scarf.

But I am a fan of more fur crafting.  I've a couple thoughts on this.  I agree with the rabbit fur hat.  I'd also suggest a rabbit fur coat made with 'lots' of rabbits, have it be less good than expedition parka and wolf jacket.  I'd also like to see a deer hide shirt.

But I also think that maybe the whole animal harvesting thing should be a bit different. Why is it possible to make a jacket out of wolf but not out of bear, or why can't I make mittens out of wolf? 

Rather than deer giving deer hide and wolf giving wolf hide etc, I'd love a system where animals gave fur and or hide.  A rabbit would give 1 fur.  A wolf would give 5 fur.  A deer would give 1 hide.  A bear would give 2 hide and 10 fur. Etc.  This would also facilitate the easier introduction of new animals.  Let's say you introduce moose tomorrow.  Using the current system moose is skinned for moose hide.  What is moose hide for?  But if you break things down into fur and hide (just like guts are guts) then you can easily implement a moose and have it give 2 or 3 hide.

My thinking on hide vs fur.  Hide would be from animals that have thick skin that makes good strong leather...the material you'd desire to make pants and boots out of.  Fur would be from animals that have less thick skin but much longer hairs on the skin, making it a better choice for when you want insulation.  Some animals (bear, bison) would give both.

MAYBE the game could track what kind of fur it was (either in name or behind the scenes) and all articles of crafted clothing act the same regardless of the species of fur it was crafted with, but it has different appearances based on the creature that it is most made up of.

Your rabbit fur hat and your bear fur hat would warm you equally, but your bear fur hat would look like this.

Screen+shot+2011-02-15+at+12.32.11+PM.pn

Wooden fish hooks don't work for a number of reasons. First of all, fish hooks have to extremely sharp - that's why before quality metal hooks were available in ancient times, stone (especially obsidian) and shells have been used in lieu. Also, wooden fish hooks would quickly become soft, which would result in the fish simply getting away. The current system of making them out of scrap metal is actually the most logical if we assume scrap metal to contain pieces of wire, needles, nails and so on. 

Is what I wanted to say, but then a source popped up that said that, indeed, wooden fish hooks used to be a thing in the middle ages. Huh. The more you know. (Would still need a layer of paint though)

8 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Wooden fish hooks don't work for a number of reasons. First of all, fish hooks have to extremely sharp - that's why before quality metal hooks were available in ancient times, stone (especially obsidian) and shells have been used in lieu. Also, wooden fish hooks would quickly become soft, which would result in the fish simply getting away. The current system of making them out of scrap metal is actually the most logical if we assume scrap metal to contain pieces of wire, needles, nails and so on. 

Is what I wanted to say, but then a source popped up that said that, indeed, wooden fish hooks used to be a thing in the middle ages. Huh. The more you know. (Would still need a layer of paint though)

You can make fish hooks from blackthorn bushes here in the UK. Blackthorn grows large, stiff and extremely sharp spines that can be used to make hooks in a pinch, but they are more fragile than metal hooks. I wouldn't trust them for large fish though. Trout, it could handle. Salmon would snap them outright.

23 hours ago, Boston123 said:

Sure it could.

Scarf (more of a muffler, really): Roll up a length of hide into a tube, fur side out, sew closed and wrap around the neck.

Underwear: same way as making trousers.

Use your head a little bit.

Such scarf would have next to no air circulation, extremely poor elasticity and because hair would be all jumbled up its insulating properties would be nonexisting. Same goes for underpants. Lack of proper air circulation will result in excessive sweat and some skin on skin wet action will result in deep and extremely painful sores in matter of hours, that will lead to infection, necrosis and all kind other fun stuff.

Scarf is just one kind of face/nose covering.

I think the real answer is to work hoods into the game that in some instances act as a hat and in other instances act as a hat an scarf...or at least keep the same areas of the body warm.

Traditionally the native peoples in harsh cold climates crafted jackets hat had a hood which in cold weather could be extended in front of the face.  IIRC these were called Anorak, and also Parka by the Inuit.  Although I think Parka literally translated as animal skin clothing...it became synonomous with that style of jacket when imported into French and English.

The US military copied this 'snorkle' hood design (plus the 3/4ths length) of the native garments when they designed the very cold weather N-3B in the 1950s, and from there it became a common design for cold weather gear...and also for some reason a bit of a fashion item for certain music crowds.

Now, I've always suspected that regarding the Wolf Coat part of the reason why it was warmer than the Expedition Parka was that the Parka was assuming you had a hat and scarf, while the Wolf Coat was assuming those items might be worn out and the hood was being used in it's place.

Regardless, if you were using animal parts to create cold weather gear to protect your neck, chin, cheeks, etc, you'd incorporate those features into the hood of your jacket, or possibly your hat if it was a separate item, not into some sort of fur neck gaiter.

Now, it does occur to me that a scarf in theory should be craftable from enough bits of cloth.  It's a very straight forward bit of fabric, just a long strip.  It's not like attempting to craft a new shirt with all the various patterned pieces you'd have to figure out, cut out, and then stitch together. 

caribou_anorak.jpg

Modern equivalent, with hood zipped all the way up to see the snorkel effect.  Note that in many pictures of both modern and indigenous parka, the fur trim section is flipped back and not in full use, that's because it's really hard to see the person's face so the photographer would as them to flip it back if it was being worn, plus, you'd only really have it fully deployed when it's very cold and windy because it does limit visibility to a 'tunnel' in front of you.  Final note, traditionally used wolf/coyote fur as that kind seemed to resist forming frost and eventually getting all icey when the moist air coming out of the lungs met the cold air.

il_570xN.982709336_kz95.jpg

Hum...maybe she got attacked by a wolf and her pants were destroyed.

eskimo__0081.jpg

Archived