Honey Holes & Exploits

nicko

Share them!

I find this area was a bit easy playing Pilgrim. There are too many deer now running around.(my guess there used to be one? now there is a pack). Also I seen a wolf kill two within a few minutes of each other. My Cave is full of food atm. to much. and the wildlife is a bit wrong, they run straight towards you many times.

chrashMt002.jpg

Naked wolf fighting.

Solution could be adding bonus to wolf damage depending on pieces of cloth equipped. With every missing piece and its location granting various bonuses. Like having no scarf giving +20% bonus, coat +50% bonus, pants +30% bonus, etc

Maxing firestarting(or at least gaining a lot of points) with 1 match by making fires in succession using brand from previously lit fire.

Could be fixed by limited amount point gains per period of time, eg only 1 point per hour. Also make initial firestarting chance a bit higher so that it wouldntbe that tedious at failing and allowing more tinder used to increase chance.

Living off 1 piece of meat per day, by starving during day and eating be4 going to bed.

Cold be fixed by progressively increased condition loss when starved for longer period of time and long term penalties from prolonged starvation that takes a long time to recover from. Otherwise it could be circumvented by just taking small bites every hour.

Also general exploitation of fast condition recovery during sleep by limiting either max amount that can be gained per day or considerably slower recovery during sleep(difficulty based). Would fix several current and possible future exploits. Condition management should have greater impact on gameplay, its way 2 easy at the moment.

Il need to check my notes when i get home for more.

To add to @dirmagnos post:

• You can eat every third day and allow condition to drop to 60-70%. Then eat some and you regain all that in one night. Condition regain should be reduced a lot in general, it should take days or even weeks, not hours, to fully recover.
  • Parasites can be avoided by letting calories hit 0, eating as much wolf meat in one sitting as possible and then waiting 24 hours. Repeat. It's enough to not starve since in game you burn about 2.5k calories per day. Could be fixed if infection chance went away gradually over few days instead of straight to zero after 24 hours. There's also problem of parasites being increased by the number of pieces you ate, not weight. Two 1kg pieces give less risk than three 100g ones.
  • Wolves can be easily killed by distracting them with a decoy. Devs mentioned fixing this in the future though.

Evening all.

I've preemptively locked this thread since I'm fairly sure discussing exploits are against the forum policies. However, since these are known exploits with the intention of bringing attention to them to get them fixed I may be using a too literal interpretation of the forum's rules. I've forwarded this to @Patrick Carlson to have some official input.

Cheers!

• cekivi locked this topic
  • cekivi unlocked this topic

Animals patiently wait while player starts a fire.

I discovered it by accident after several months of playing. And was so surprised at absurdity of this feature. I was always careful when starting fire somewhere nearby hostile fauna, and it turns out it all is for nothing. Combined with animal repellent properties of fires it makes no sense and so easily exploitable that its just plain stupid.

I can just run up to a wolf, then stop and start slowly and carefully fiddle with sticks "cmon little fire", while wolf just stands 2 meters away from me and patiently waits for me to be done. ?!?!?!?!?!

Player actions like that should not put world around him into a stop mode. Especially considering that on another end of the time-management scale player has no options but to sit tight and meditate on boiling water.

I don't know if this one is an exloit but in Stalker you can use the parasite mechanic to "Quick Save" your game outdoor :D

I think you guys did a great job listing all those nasty design holes. The ones I think should receive some love ASAP are the ones related with exploiting the nutrition-starvation and recovery systems. The naked wolf fighting is another ugly one.  

There are some exploits, like the maximizing fire skill with one match that I don't think are so urgent, as in all honesty, I pity the player that prefers to sit through hours of click-repeating-madness rather than playing the game. Would he be abusing the mechanic, surely... but at what cost?

The decoy one just needs some tuning regarding the distance at which the wolf would ignore the steak and charge back at the human, I think. Let's see what the fix is about!

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

That would actually be a huge improvement.

I like it, as long as they make the wolf a little harder to hit as its approaching the steak. As to prevent the players from ligning up a good shot. Or a chance the wolf just ignores it all together when you are in the immediate area

Archived