Pipe Gun

SzalonyNiemiec

Strongly against, I am sorry. While it does make sense, the dangers as @Boston123 mentioned would gravely outweigh the benefits. Also, firearms are supposed to be rare in the game.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not completely shooting down your idea (and I am not even in the position to do so), but currently, I just can't see anything that goes for it, sorry.

@Wastelander @Boston123 First of all it's not that dangerous. I've seen lot's of people do it on YouTube. And Second this would not bring imbalance to the game, because:

A)1) you need the parts to build it

A)2) you need to find a workbench

A)3) you still need to find ammo

B) Being a single shot weapon, with slow reload (and maybe lower damage) it would be a lot less practical than a real rifle. you could only use it to hunt rabbits, or to defend your self against wolves(maybe)

C) if you're desperate to survive you won't care about the dangers of a homemade gun, all you care about is getting some food

Just now, SzalonyNiemiec said:

@Wastelander @Boston123 First of all it's not that dangerous. I've seen lot's of people do it on YouTube. And Second this would not bring imbalance to the game, because:

A)1) you need the parts to build it

A)2) you need to find a workbench

A)3) you still need to find ammo

B) Being a single shot weapon, with slow reload (and maybe lower damage) it would be a lot less practical than a real rifle. you could only use it to hunt rabbits, or to defend your self against wolves(maybe)

C) if you're desperate to survive you won't care about the dangers of a homemade gun, all you care about is getting some food

Those are some good points, but:

• Do you think about an actual item called 'rifle parts' or something like that? Because that I could get behind.
  • Workbenches are plenty, actually.
  • Ammo which I would much rather fire from an actual rifle.
  • For rabbits, we have snares and for wolves we have knives.
  • The part about desperation is true, but why would I willingly endanger myself if a snare can do the same job?

@Wastelander 

- I don't think that "rifle parts" should be required. all you need is a pipe a spring and a pin/nail (scrap metal in-game). but maybe some kind of crafting skill should be required

- true

- but what if you don't have an actual rifle

- I prefer to kill wolves before they touch me, so they don't rip apart my clothes or injure me

- I have no Idea how the snares work, have tried them multiple times, never caught anything

- homemade weapons aren't that dangerous

- but what if you don't have an actual rifle

This is a valid point actually.

- I prefer to kill wolves before they touch me, so they don't rip apart my clothes or injure me

This is a valid point as well.

1 minute ago, SzalonyNiemiec said:

- I have no Idea how the snares work, have tried them multiple times, never caught anything

Put them where the rabbits are and leave for a day, you'll usually catch one.

1 minute ago, SzalonyNiemiec said:

- homemade weapons aren't that dangerous

I'll have to take your word on this, experimenting on this would get me imprisoned :D 

Funny, I was looking at the same video just now.

Question: Just how much knowledge do you need to produce one of those? I, personally, couldn't do it probably. This is important since there are a lot of solutions to problems characters face in TLD, but the characters might not know about those.

I think the question is not can you make a pipe gun, but why would you need to?

In my current save I have five rifles, 64 rounds of ammo, a flare pistol with six flares, a bow, and 15 arrows. So why do I need another weapon?

Yeah, and?

Take a look at how heavily reinforced the pipe is around where the bullet gets fired. Hell, take a look at how thick the wall of the pipe is. There are two to three thicknesses of a heavy pipe around the firing chamber. Plus, he welded it all together, drilled out ports for reinforcing screws, and doesn't even fire the thing by hand

It isn't just "grab pipe, throw in bullet".

5 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

It isn't just "grab pipe, throw in bullet".

with shotgun and revolver ammo it is that simple. I realize, that our survivor couldn't make this .50 gun.

in my opinion, in the game, it should either be that it just uses rifle rounds as if they just were pistol/shotgun rounds, or the pipe gun would use revolver/shotgun rounds, as we know, that a revolver will be added to the game soon, and i hope a shotgun will follow

Sorry its a daft idea.  Guns are not going to be rare. Ammo is.  Crafting a shitty pipe gun to go with the 5 actual guns you found isn't going to help the fact that there are only x bullets in the game.  It would literally never make sense to craft or use a pipe gun.

On 23-7-2016 at 11:54 PM, miah999 said:

I think the question is not can you make a pipe gun, but why would you need to?

In my current save I have five rifles, 64 rounds of ammo, a flare pistol with six flares, a bow, and 15 arrows. So why do I need another weapon?

Exactly what I thought when I read this post.

I love to read all the ideas about different weaponery but is it really necesarry? In the game I'm currently playing (voyager, 175 days) I found 3 rifles, still got 45 bullits left (didn't even loot PV yet!)  made/found 38 arrowheads, got 4 new bows in storage. So I don't feel the need for other weapons. The current weapons maybe could use some tweaking. Using the riffle is almost too easy, especially after you improve skills after a while and I wouldn't mind if ammunition became a bit more scarce. The bow is ok, for me sometimes even hard to use. I have to admit I do feel like a complete idiot when I see @GELtaz shooting bow and arrow in his video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdpoGUExZQ    

I guess I still need a WHOLE lotta practice! :D Very entertaining video's Geltaz! Keep 'em coming!

So overall... beside maybe a few little tweaks, I'm pretty happy with what we've got. ^_^

6 hours ago, sir ice said:

Its unrealistic because no one has any idea how to make a gun. 

This is my primary point when disagreeing to the idea of a pipe gun. It's easy to call something simple when you've already done it before. I call writing scientific thesises or fighting with a sword or building a PC from scratch simple, since I have already done it before and know what I'm doing, but there are a lot of people who simply don't have that kind of experience. I recently fired a gun for the first time in my life (fun experience, by the way) and had no idea what I was doing. I also have no real idea how guns work, so I couldn't just build one from scratch.

2 hours ago, GELtaz said:

Will do Baukster77! Let me reassure you, I also have my bad days with the survival bow, especially after taking a little TLD break. Glad you enjoy the videos!

Thanks Geltaz! That's very reassuring you have bad hunting days too! But still... I think the way you're shooting bow & arrow on a bad day is me at my best! :big_smile:

The way you shot the rabbit from that far was insane! Guess I'll just have to keep on practicing! ^_^

Archived