Spawn with Crashed plane

Rifleman

Spawn with a crashed plane  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was an extensive discussion about this a good while ago(maybe even back in 2015) and we all loved the idea, but with the random spawn points it's pretty hard to implement. Basically to add this the team would need to make every single spawn point have a "crash site" version that's only loaded if the player spawns there. So as much as we'd LOVE to have a plane that we could loot at the start it would be way too much work. :(

10 hours ago, Gaboris said:

There was an extensive discussion about this a good while ago(maybe even back in 2015) and we all loved the idea, but with the random spawn points it's pretty hard to implement. Basically to add this the team would need to make every single spawn point have a "crash site" version that's only loaded if the player spawns there. So as much as we'd LOVE to have a plane that we could loot at the start it would be way too much work. :(

It's not as hard as you think 

17 minutes ago, Mystral21 said:

What about a parachute visible on the floor?

hey! that's a great idea. You notice all your instruments aren't working and that the plane is going down, so you grab you're gear and bail out before you crash. Maybe eventually you start the game while in the plane before it crashes, you have a limited amount of time to grab whatever you think you'll need. Kinda like that game 60 Seconds. I feel its more realistic than showing up with a generic set of gear and no explanation of how you got there.

Yup. The first time I played the game (From the Xbox 60 minutes preview version). The first thing I did was turn around and go back the way I came thinking I'd find a crashed plane, a parachute or maybe supplies (I end up giving up xD)

Would be really nice if they at least implemented you falling with a parachute, or just a quick animation from you hitting the ground with the parachute and then standing up (The quick falling part could have just a blank screen and sound so they wouldn't have to make a scenario from up there on the sky). Or even at least having a parachute behind you when you spawn that you might be able to harvest or something.

Note: for the moment the sandbox is not connected to the main story so your survivor is likely neither Will nor Astrid. You're just some other poor lost soul in the wilderness.

Think of it this way. In story mode our sandbox characters are more likely to be NPCs on the map where you first spawned into the game.

42 minutes ago, cekivi said:

for the moment the sandbox is not connected to the main story so your survivor is likely neither Will nor Astrid. You're just some other poor lost soul in the wilderness.

When you start a new sandbox game, there is a screen with text that says,

"A mysterious geomagnetic storm has brought your plane crashing down into the northern Canadian wilderness. How long can you survive?"

It might be easier to change the text than to add graphical representations of crashed planes or parachutes, but it would at least settle the confusion.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Note: for the moment the sandbox is not connected to the main story so your survivor is likely neither Will nor Astrid. You're just some other poor lost soul in the wilderness.

Think of it this way. In story mode our sandbox characters are more likely to be NPCs on the map where you first spawned into the game.

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

"A mysterious geomagnetic storm has brought your plane crashing down into the northern Canadian wilderness. How long can you survive?"

It might be easier to change the text than to add graphical representations of crashed planes or parachutes, but it would at least settle the confusion.

Yeah I tend to COMPLETELY forget that the sandbox mode isn't the same as the story and yeah in this case Pill's idea would be pretty spot on. :)

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

I thought the sandbox started with a quote and the reference to the plane was on the loading screen...

Then again, it's been a really long time since I started a sandbox game ^_^

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

Both will and the male sandbox survivor have the same voice actor 

Has anyone ever tried to wrap their head around the timeline of these events?  The plane's crash landing and the timing of the geomagnetic event timing are odd to say the least.  The plane you're piloting presumably starts losing altitude when the event happens.  I'm not aviation expert but how long could the planes descent take realistically?  My WAG is no more than 30 minutes to an hour depending but likely a lot less. 

After the plane crash lands our survivor starts exploring the territory around him or her.  Now here's the issue (light spoilers ahead) the bodies you encounter are already frozen solid, there are several corpses that died of what look to be either violence or suicide (pills next to body, two corpses side by side with an apparent weapon, axe, knife or prybar) and in some area's (pleasant valley farm house) it looks like the inhabitants fled the area. 

These things happening in the very short window from the time of the plane's forced landing/geomagnetic event are far too short in duration.  I can't imagine the pilot passed out for hours or days on end after the crash and not freezing to death nor could he or she have wandered aimlessly in the wilderness without suffering a similar fate. 

I'm really curious to see how Hinterland handles this via story mode or other means.

TLDR:  It seems that a longer period of time has elapsed on the ground than has elapsed for our character. 

12 hours ago, cekivi said:

I thought the sandbox started with a quote and the reference to the plane was on the loading screen...

Then again, it's been a really long time since I started a sandbox game ^_^

After you've chosen the difficulty/character/startingpoint options for your new sandbox, you get the loading screen with the background info text, then press any key to start, then you get the quote.

(I've recently been starting new games afresh whenever I play - sometimes I start several in the same session. I think the default savegame name is Sandbox85 or something!)

3 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

TLDR:  It seems that a longer period of time has elapsed on the ground than has elapsed for our character. 

Yeah, this has bothered me a little as well. Perhaps it's because the sandbox was never originally planned to be part of the actual final game at all - merely a testbed for mechanics during the Early Access period. Now that it's become a major feature in it's own right, the fact that story continuity doesn't square with it hasn't been addressed. Yet. Or maybe they don't need to - once the story mode does arrive, perhaps it won't matter anyway.

Well, when you have talented actors/actresses why not use them for multiple roles? TV and movies do it all the time :winky:

The timeline is odd. Houses are destroyed and abandoned implying a large amount of time has past but you can still find untouched homes with everything still in the cupboards. The wildlife is all active and in human inhabited areas implying a lot of time has past but the water in the toilet tanks haven't frozen yet. Fresh food are in some freezers/fridges even though there is no one around to harvest it or eat it.

The only rationale is that the sandbox - as originally conceived - was not intended to be in the final game. Like @Pillock says, sandbox mode was intended to be a test bed for the final story mode mechanics. Over the past two years it's morphed into it's own separate game. ^_^

Give it time. I'm sure most of these plot holes will get fixed as the game inches towards a full release.

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Well, when you have talented actors/actresses why not use them for multiple roles? TV and movies do it all the time :winky:

The timeline is odd. Houses are destroyed and abandoned implying a large amount of time has past but you can still find untouched homes with everything still in the cupboards. The wildlife is all active and in human inhabited areas implying a lot of time has past but the water in the toilet tanks haven't frozen yet. Fresh food are in some freezers/fridges even though there is no one around to harvest it or eat it.

The only rationale is that the sandbox - as originally conceived - was not intended to be in the final game. Like @Pillock says, sandbox mode was intended to be a test bed for the final story mode mechanics. Over the past two years it's morphed into it's own separate game. ^_^

Give it time. I'm sure most of these plot holes will get fixed as the game inches towards a full release.

I understood the destroyed houses (fire) for example as a consequence of the Aurora. Maybe when it happened, things that run on electricity exploded/got set on fire and that's what caused it. You are probably right that things may be different in the game. The sandbox it's sucha finished game or game in itself that we forget about that. 

Archived