Challenges

Pillock

Has this been done yet? The Challenges mode is great, and presumably there will be more of them to come.

Obviously, both The Hunted and Hopeless Rescue could be replicated with different starting and finishing points, which would be interesting. But what other possibilities are there?

An idea I've been thinking about would involve an NPC character who was sick, bedridden and helpless - you'd have to keep them warm, fed and medicated in fairly standard Sandbox conditions and see how long you could keep them alive. Essentially you'd have to collect enough supplies to keep two people going instead of one, and you wouldn't be able to stray too far from the sickbed in case your patient deteriorated too much while you were gone. It would get increasingly harder as you were forced to travel farther and farther to bring back the necessary supplies.

Any thoughts? More ideas?

1. Quest for fire. start in front of a fire and bring a brand from one location to another (keeping your 'original' flame from going out) to ignite a signal fire. 

2. One like the bear but with a pack of wolves. ? 

3. Medicine man. - an extension of your sick NPC idea - but they need to be healed by using the plant remedies. 

4. Storage wars. fill an indoor container with a pre set weight/amount of supplies. 4a. Last as long as you can using only items from the container. 

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

Has this been done yet? The Challenges mode is great, and presumably there will be more of them to come.

Obviously, both The Hunted and Hopeless Rescue could be replicated with different starting and finishing points, which would be interesting. But what other possibilities are there?

An idea I've been thinking about would involve an NPC character who was sick, bedridden and helpless - you'd have to keep them warm, fed and medicated in fairly standard Sandbox conditions and see how long you could keep them alive. Essentially you'd have to collect enough supplies to keep two people going instead of one, and you wouldn't be able to stray too far from the sickbed in case your patient deteriorated too much while you were gone. It would get increasingly harder as you were forced to travel farther and farther to bring back the necessary supplies.

Any thoughts? More ideas?

+1

Another challenge could be to find something (or someone?) within a certain timeframe. Or under ever deteriorating conditions.

Apart from the variants of hopeless rescue, the hunted, and this medic idea I would welcome these for example:

- Put it together! Just like the mounteneer and his story, more collectibles would be nice. I know it's already on the list, but in this challenge after you have every piece of paper a final objective could be achieved. For example a secret code for a safe that couldn't be opened in other ways or wouldn't sound like *clickk* when you hit the right number (the notes could contain a piece of the code and the story behind the safe)

- The Storm. And by that I don't mean any blizzard, I mean a real natural desaster, a giant tornado that noone could survive outside...oh and the player would be stuck in TWM :) So this would be an 'against the time' challenge with for example a week or a few days until the storm hits. In that time the player should reenforce the Mounteneer's Hut (the roof, windows, door, etc) with lots of wood and some toolkits to survive.

-Santa's sleigh. Build a sleigh from a bunch of wood, trap 8 deer and voila. Deer traps (clover trap, drop net, etc) could be craftables, while the sleigh could be built in Pleasant Valley Outbuildings (red barn) in the place of the truck. This should go with a time limit as well, the kids must have their stuff delivered in time. I know it's silly...but I think it would be fun ^^

-Repair the Radio. This is not my idea, I just read it somewhere in the forum, so credits should go to others, but I thought I would mention it. The player could find parts of a radio and repair it to hopefully make contact with others.

Thats all I could think of know, cheers!

"The Priest". Make proper funeral for each of the dead (frozen corpses) in the Game/Sandbox - well, they'd deserve it, anyway. No time limit.

"Caveman". Survive one week in one of the mines in the Game/Sandbox (without leaving it, of course, because multiple avalanches blocked the exits/entrances!). Besides, the mine at Desolation Point should be much more complex.

"Tomb Raider". (Haha!) Find all the Caches generated in your game. (By the way, do they exist in real life in Canada?)

My idea for a new "EXTREME CHALLENGE would be "SUPER STORMS!!!"

How to do it:

Devs could change the weather so it is continuously stormy (day & night) for perhaps 5 or 6 continuous days ...... then perhaps, a short 8 to 10 hour break, and then another 5 to 6 days of continuous storm, and then another short break, and so on, and so on!!

Brutal cold, high windchill, low visability, continuous wind!!!  Imagine how tough that would be to start from scratch with a new player!

You would get a survival badge for lasting  1 day, 5 days, 10 days, 15 days, 20 days, 30 days, 50 days, 75 days, and finally 100 days!....

I doubt many folks would make the 100 days!! I think it would be an awesome challenge!!

Great game. 200 hrs in and shamefully looking forward to more. Unfortunately I feel stalker mode is too easy, so comes the challenges and requests below.

Challenges are a great idea with a lot of potential.

A scorchhed earth challenge would be great where, lets say 95% of all buildings have been burnt down. 

Live off the land challenge, like the steam achievement, but where no non-wild food spawns from the get go.

Similar to the rescue challenge, one player challenge I made was a race to explore the map. Got to 95% in 15 days. Anyone try something similar? 

I really wish I could see a sliding bar to control game difficulty for multiple variables, like in Don't Starve. Spawn rates, animal behaviour, building burnt/non-burnt %, weather, etc.

It's a lot to ask, but another aggressive animal would be great? The cougar?! It stalks you, attacks without warning, high aggressive proxy zone. One per region would be great fun to hunt and add another layer of fear.

Another big ticket item that I'm sure is being worked on for story mode, but would be a good item in sandbox. NPCs with variable behaviour, Again maybe one per region. Maybe they shoot you on sight, steal supplies, give you supplies or ask you for mercy supplies. Make them more active in the day to encourage night activities.

Eitherway, good game and I trust the Devs will continue to take this in a good direction.

18 hours ago, ShawnB said:

Great game. 200 hrs in and shamefully looking forward to more. Unfortunately I feel stalker mode is too easy, so comes the challenges and requests below.

Challenges are a great idea with a lot of potential.

A scorchhed earth challenge would be great where, lets say 95% of all buildings have been burnt down. 

Live off the land challenge, like the steam achievement, but where no non-wild food spawns from the get go.

Similar to the rescue challenge, one player challenge I made was a race to explore the map. Got to 95% in 15 days. Anyone try something similar? 

I really wish I could see a sliding bar to control game difficulty for multiple variables, like in Don't Starve. Spawn rates, animal behaviour, building burnt/non-burnt %, weather, etc.

It's a lot to ask, but another aggressive animal would be great? The cougar?! It stalks you, attacks without warning, high aggressive proxy zone. One per region would be great fun to hunt and add another layer of fear.

Another big ticket item that I'm sure is being worked on for story mode, but would be a good item in sandbox. NPCs with variable behaviour, Again maybe one per region. Maybe they shoot you on sight, steal supplies, give you supplies or ask you for mercy supplies. Make them more active in the day to encourage night activities.

Eitherway, good game and I trust the Devs will continue to take this in a good direction.

I really like your challenge ideas, especially the one about "living off the land". May I shamelessly plug a thread I started a little while ago about this?

NPCs in the sandbox are planned, as you may have seen by now, but the possibility for custom difficulty settings has been somewhat quashed by the designers because it would apparently make it much more difficult for them to measure player behaviour and make balance adjustments on a relatively fixed set of variables.

On May 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Hotzn said:

+1

Another challenge could be to find something (or someone?) within a certain timeframe. Or under ever deteriorating conditions.

One player challenge I tried was a race to explore that map. I called it the "Quest for Love", thinking that you the player was desperately searching the regions to find another survivor, a loved one or such. I got to 95% explored in 17 days. It was tones of fun. Lots of night and storm excursions, plus a lot of wolf shooting. Similar in principal to the hopeless rescue challenge. If anyone tries this let me know how you do.

I like the idea of sustaining an injured person. Never thought of this, good idea.

"Scavenge Rush" add a semi-aggressive NPC that moves around the map looting items. Could make long term survival hard if you don't explore aggressively from the start.

The superstorm challenge sounds great and would be so easy for the Devs to make.

Try the live off the land challenge but start on day 1. I'm 20 days in at timberwolf mountain and having lots of fun with this challenge. I will probably try independent runs in all regions doing this.

Archived