Canned Food

Pasquinel

On 4/15/2016 at 3:48 PM, Pasquinel said:

Well.

Here are a couple simple items that if included in the game would make cooking just about anything possible. Even if you remove the stove these simple mess kits are quite functional and anybody with sense could avoid burning or scorching food if these were used.

I like the idea someone had of using the milk and granola to make hot cereal. I would ask to go one further and let us find some dry oatmeal in some of the homes. I know these seem small ideas, but they would make the game more interesting rather than foraging for the same items over and over again, Pork and beans again...:beans:

military-green-3pcs-in-1-camping-cookware.jpg

IT_PostW_3.jpg

britmesskit1g.jpg

1-multi-fuel-camp-stove-300x300.jpg

The third photo brings back memories.

1 hour ago, starfighter441 said:

Some of the Canadian C rats were not too shabby, I quite liked the turkey chunks in gravy, and the cheese and crackers were great. 

Spam was food of the gods, if you compared it to the Canadian budget version known as Prem, which I got as a sandwich in my school lunch at least once a week.

Our school served spam sandwich with melted cheese served on a hamburger bun and called them something like a "hamdinger" or what not I actually make these from time to out of nostalgia, usually at camp.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I'm strangely convinced as well. To me, SPAM is a legend. Never tried the stuff. Yet. 

It can be eaten straight from the can or heated up, fried, baked, whatever. Just don't eat the jelly that surrounds it in the can, it's perfectly edible (the jelly), but edible is all that it is.

4 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

Some of the Canadian C rats were not too shabby, I quite liked the turkey chunks in gravy, and the cheese and crackers were great. 

Spam was food of the gods, if you compared it to the Canadian budget version known as Prem, which I got as a sandwich in my school lunch at least once a week.

Yes, I suppose it is better tasting than liverwurst, but perhaps not by much . . . 

On April 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Pasquinel said:

Ahh Glorious SPAM. I actually love SPAM too but as said below...

After WWII, Great Britain basically survived on SPAM supplied by the good ole' USA until she could get back on her feet. Hence the reference in the skit here:

https://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE

So did South Korea, after the Korean Conflict reached the armistice stage. My Korean friend was telling me about growing up on 20 - 30 different ways to use SPAM. 

Ah, SPAM with kimchi . . .

45 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Yes, I suppose it is better tasting than liverwurst, but perhaps not by much . . . 

So did South Korea, after the Korean Conflict reached the armistice stage. My Korean friend was telling me about growing up on 20 - 30 different ways to use SPAM. 

Ah, SPAM with kimchi . . .

Just saw this about Liverwurst. I grew up on this stuff and eat it all the time. Liverwurst is great, especially with some mustard swiss cheese and rye bread.

On another note about SPAM while googling the stuff I saw that Hawaii consumes more spam then any other place in the world they love it there. Go figure...

If I can heat up a raw rabbit carcass I found in someone's fridge, I can certainly take the wrapper off of that granola bar and try to heat it up :) Neither of them come in a can and I have not found a pan yet. Why rabbit but not granola?

The thing is, a game like this could simply recreate real-life and let you *try* to do anything you want. Heat up dog food? Sure. Heat up a granola bar on a stick? Sure if you don't mind losing most of it. Heat up your can opener? Why the hell not? But alas, the game won't even let me start a camp fire indoors, or let me use the curtains as kindling.

So since we can't just do anything we want in the game, the game needs to be consistent. If canned items can be heated, let us heat all canned items. Maybe some dog food is lost to being burnt because it's not a liquid and maybe not. But we should see it on the list of things to cook even if it always goes badly.

52 minutes ago, rectorsquid said:

So since we can't just do anything we want in the game, the game needs to be consistent. If canned items can be heated, let us heat all canned items. Maybe some dog food is lost to being burnt because it's not a liquid and maybe not. But we should see it on the list of things to cook even if it always goes badly.

That's quite a good argument actually. Besides, you don't even have to "cook" the food. You just need to warm it up a little :)

I can tell you that warming up almost anything makes it noticeably more palatable. Cold, SPAM is awful., Sliced thin, then fried? Food of the gods.

SPAM is actually one of my major "survival" foods. I keep one of the individual pouches in the bottom  of my bag, in case I ever need a fat/protein heavy meal.

Archived