Living in the Forestry Lookout

June

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

In my latest playthru(42 days) i already had food poisoning at least twice from cooked meat with condition above 75%. Altho i generally let raw meat to drop to ~50% be4 cooking, to extend storage duration, so that may be an issue. Altho i find it weird, since cooked meat should be a new item.

Hmm odd.  If it happens again, I would ask a dev if it's a bug.  From the changelog above, that doesn't seem like that should happen.  Though it is ambiguous if meat has to be above 75% before it is cooked.  Hmmm....

11 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Maybe this is an implementation problem? For instance, I have a consistent problem with blood drops not appearing or persisting when hunting but this is not an intended feature and does not always occur.

I've had this and found on one recent case, back tracking and re-covering my steps caused the trail to appear, though it vanished and needed repeating a few times.

39 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Maybe this is an implementation problem? For instance, I have a consistent problem with blood drops not appearing or persisting when hunting but this is not an intended feature and does not always occur.

I read that running animals will drop blood, but when they slow to a walk, they will not drop blood.  The blood tracking method is really cool - just wish it was more consistent.  I've lost a few animals due to the blood trail vanishing right before my eyes, even on clear days with no wind.

On 3/18/2016 at 7:29 AM, cekivi said:

True, but if you were eating a full steak a day you would be able to maintain your calorie stores fairly well. I generally have my character skip lunch and just take a little bit of condition loss while I wait for dinner. Starving down to 20% and being completely restored on a single meal though is more than slightly lopsided. :silly:

Agree with you 100% on that hibernation+food exploit. Hope some fix comes out soon.
I'm just like you on skipping lunch only :)

On 3/19/2016 at 5:29 PM, Drifter Man said:

I agree, the character has quite an appetite when you try to keep calories above zero :) Anyway, it's good that the game allows very different playstyles. I never let my condition drop if I can avoid it.

Same here -- If my condition goes below 90% I eat immediately.

Original Poster: I'm also going to be "living " at Forestry Lookout and using nearby Unnamed Pond cabin for food storage. Besides lack of food storage and the climb, what's tough for you?

I haven't tried living in the outlook for a while, because it was usually colder than whatever warmth the bed would provide, which forced me to sleep in enough clothes to stay above freezing or else keep a fire going. Has this changed, or does living in the outlook still mean dealing with the cold?

You might consider using the Logging Camp as a base; there is a nearby stove for cooking, lots of cloth resources and if you don't mind sharing a bunk with a corpsicle, it makes a great place to store up to 10kg of raw meat in order to slow the condition loss. There is a fair amount of reclaimed wood available however few limbs nearby so stick gathering is essential.

Bunking in with Lumber Jack is also a convenient way to keep warm and to have a little human contact in an extremely isolated situation. There aren't many places you can find a bunk mate. :x Even the cold and silent treatment seems preferable to utter solitude. :S

So is that a new name for the logging camp corpsicle? Jack? :P

As far as the forestry lookout is concerned, I like the outdoor visibility. It can be cold inside at times especially if you don't have warm enough clothing. There are no sticks nearby; the weather and wind up there are brutal and you have to travel a fair distance to get to hunting territory. Coming home laden with meat and low on fire fuel is a recipe for fatigue, exposure and a plethora of other problems. Remember, you have to schlep nearly all your supplies up that hill. The best advantage, I suppose, is being able to scout game from up there, if the weather cooperates.

12 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

I haven't tried living in the outlook for a while, because it was usually colder than whatever warmth the bed would provide, which forced me to sleep in enough clothes to stay above freezing or else keep a fire going. Has this changed, or does living in the outlook still mean dealing with the cold?

Air temp is -5 C inside Forestry Outlook but warmth of bed it +6 so you'll be okay sleeping naked there if you want.

11 hours ago, SteveP said:

You might consider using the Logging Camp as a base; there is a nearby stove for cooking, lots of cloth resources and if you don't mind sharing a bunk with a corpsicle, it makes a great place to store up to 10kg of raw meat in order to slow the condition loss. There is a fair amount of reclaimed wood available however few limbs nearby so stick gathering is essential.

Bunking in with Lumber Jack is also a convenient way to keep warm and to have a little human contact in an extremely isolated situation. There aren't many places you can find a bunk mate. :x Even the cold and silent treatment seems preferable to utter solitude. :S

So is that a new name for the logging camp corpsicle? Jack? :P

As far as the forestry lookout is concerned, I like the outdoor visibility. It can be cold inside at times especially if you don't have warm enough clothing. There are no sticks nearby; the weather and wind up there are brutal and you have to travel a fair distance to get to hunting territory. Coming home laden with meat and low on fire fuel is a recipe for fatigue, exposure and a plethora of other problems. Remember, you have to schlep nearly all your supplies up that hill. The best advantage, I suppose, is being able to scout game from up there, if the weather cooperates.

I lived at the Logging Camp for about a month and even though there is plenty of storage, in Voyageur wolves come from four directions and sometimes in pairs. 
It's more dangerous than the Camp Office!  And it's a bit far from rabbits (if you're like me and love eatin' rabbit).

And personally I hate being around corpses, even though it's just a game, ever since I smelled my two-week dead neighbor a while back. A smell I will never forget. But on to a different topic...

Forestry Outlook is close to the Unnamed Pond and there are plenty of sticks to gather near there. Forestry Outlook is also close to the "Unnamed Cabin" which has a warm bed and usually one or two boxes for storage. Unfortunately I often find two or three dead people there so ...kind of a creepy murder scene.

My intent is just to gather sticks on some days and leave them at Forestry Outlook, set snares near the Unnamed Cabin and go every morning to harvest my catches, store excess meat in the Unnamed Cabin, and sleep with 3~4 kg cooked meat at the Forestry Outlook. 
Also, if I need a workbench I can head to either Camp Office or Trapper's -- Camp Office is fairly close, but my path to Trapper's has zero wolves along the way, though it takes about an hour and a half to get there.

Archived