Living in the Forestry Lookout

June

So, after 642 days, I tried something new. Make camp in the Forestry Lookout and survive there.

20160310202106_1.thumb.jpg.4d48843530523

I have to say, it was quite a stupid idea, but the view is impressive!

20160310202550_1.thumb.jpg.2408be5a97de1

I made 4 or 5 runs to get all my stuff from the Trapper´s Homestead. The climb is horrible everytime, but when I go down, I sprint all the way and it´s better than a sleighride! 

At least I learned some useful things. After a lot of sprained ankles with all man made medicine gone, I learned that 25 rose hips make 1 cup of tea. Oh, and you can lure wolves with a cup of tea. The beasts have some taste! Now i´m running back again to the homestead to get all the fabric i´ve forgotten. Do you think I can make it?   

20160310201620_1.thumb.jpg.1590020839e8e

That´s right! It´s too far away from everything else. I used to live there for ages. Now on the forestry lookout, it´s a real challenge. Have to go down and up again once in 2 or 3 days. Maybe I´ll miss my cosy little hut real soon ^^ 

screen_6e39ff73-59ca-453b-a1d2-1e30d1485

7 minutes ago, June said:

It´s actually quite warm in there ^^ But the cons outweigh the pros in almost every case. And the stupid door opens to the inside :devil:Don´t think i´ll be here for long ^^

Still, will make for some awesome screen captures if the weathers on your side.  Good luck :)

7 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

What about the Lighthouse in DP?

Good question. I thought about it too. But maybe it´s also too far from wood ressources? Dunno, maybe I try it next. Getting bored pretty fast by now without new words from the Devs. For now, I will enjoy my new morning view :geek:

20160315213434_1.thumb.jpg.e3b9f5fc12525

There should be deer in the area between the Lookout and the Townsite too.  And a bear!!  (That bear was one of my first intentional bear kills - lol.)  Bit of a hike down to the fishing cabins.  I have a shortcut route that I use that works well for going down, but no great ones going up.  I usually end up spending the night at the cabins or trailer when I travel between the coast and the Lookout.

One wolf will usually give 4-5 kg of meat at around 800 calories. Do whatever you want during the day, eat a wolf steak dinner before bed and you'll oscillate between 100% and 90% condition. You'll wake up with ~200 calories left, start starving around noon and be full again for bedtime to regain the lost condition.

So, at 1kg of meat a day a wolf should keep you going for around 4 days. More if you use the starvation-hibernation exploit.

True, but if you were eating a full steak a day you would be able to maintain your calorie stores fairly well. I generally have my character skip lunch and just take a little bit of condition loss while I wait for dinner. Starving down to 20% and being completely restored on a single meal though is more than slightly lopsided. :silly:

If food is abundant, I eat a big breakfast (Bear, Wolf or Deer (B/W/D)), a light lunch (rabbit, or B/W/D scraps), and B/W/D right before bed.  Since there is no indigestion affliction, I eat right before I go to bed to maximize calories.

If food is a little low, I'll eat only breakfast and dinner.  If food is scarce, I'll eat dinner only.  And if things are really, really bad, I'll eat dinner only every 2 days.  That's an emergency measure only, though, until I've reestablished a food supply.

I try to only eat dinner, to max calories, 2-3 hours be4 sun sets since due to rather random nature of food poisoning, it can come from a perfectly good meat and i prefer to sleep it off thru the night, since i would have to rest anyway, it 2 for 1 deal.

You should never get food poisoning from food with condition over 75%

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/update-archive/

The Long Dark — Sandbox Alpha Update — Hotfix to v.170: Fixes to Struggle UI, Food Poisoning, Weak Ice, and General Bug Fixes

December 2nd, 2014

Trivia: This is the 15th Update to The Long Dark since launching on Early Access!

Changelist:

* Improved Wolf Struggle UI to clarify controls and gameplay effects.

* Improved Weak Ice feedback to avoid players falling through ice without warning.

* Improved various presentation elements on the First Aid interface.

* Food with Condition over 75% will never cause Food Poisoning (excludes Raw Meat and Fish).

I eat food closest to >75% for morning meals, and my lowest quality food <75% right before sleeping in case of food poisoning.

In my latest playthru(42 days) i already had food poisoning at least twice from cooked meat with condition above 75%. Altho i generally let raw meat to drop to ~50% be4 cooking, to extend storage duration, so that may be an issue. Altho i find it weird, since cooked meat should be a new item.

Archived