You Never Forget Your Many Deaths

Vhalkyrie

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

If you do choose to take a break, your stories here will be missed, but you'll know where to come back to when the time's right.

Not quite yet, but I'm going semi suicidal tonight going through Coastal Highway.  If I die, I die.  Not sure what the wolf situation is like there.

So far, I have a couple of wolf handling methods, but nothing too great.

1) Campfire.  They avoid and run away from campfire consistently, but it can be a little weird.  If you build your campfire that happens to be in one of their "go home" paths, they'll go in a loop where they'll run away, come back, run away, come back, etc.
2) Bait.  Just drop and run.  Raw meat seems to work best.
3) Just Run.  If you have enough distance when they spot you, turn the opposite direction from them and sprint.  They seem to have more 'territorial' behavior rather than 'lock on and kill'.  Once you have put enough distance between them and you, they'll disengage.

None of these 3 methods are great for handling the wolves that wander the corridor between the Mine exit and the Forestry Lookout, so I'm expecting to get munched.

I haven't bothered with torches since the patch.  Not sure how they work now.  Flares seem to work as normal.

For wolf hunting, going to a hunting blind is probably the safest.  Taking a shot while baiting also works.  If you miss the shot while baiting, it will run.

2 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I have over 350+ hours played, so I definitely got my money's worth, but I can feel my frustration level growing, so I'll probably need to step away from this and play something else for a while.  

Yeah, add me to the "please don't go" list.  Reading your posts accounts for a big chunk of my enjoyment around here. From your reputation number, I can tell I'm not the only one.  :)

6 minutes ago, Dinhammer said:

Yeah, add me to the "please don't go" list.  Reading your posts accounts for a big chunk of my enjoyment around here. From your reputation number, I can tell I'm not the only one.  :)

Aww thanks!  You just made my day. ;)  I don't imagine I would be gone long, but I do think I need a break before I get frustrated completely.  I'm sure I'll miss it!

And thanks, I am just having a bad day all around today, so that's probably a factor, too.

5 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I situate my rabbit traps so that they will all unthaw with one fire ring.  The range is pretty good, but I haven't tested the limits.  One of my rabbit runs I place my traps near a large tree.  The tree allows me to place a fire sheltered from the wind from almost any direction.  I'll grab a picture next time.

Here's an example of placing my rabbit traps near a tree, then lighting a campfire.  You can see the little "shelter" icon in the corner where I've placed the fire.  You can place the campfire anywhere around the tree and the rabbits will unthaw, so you can position it where it is best sheltered in a wind. :) 

20160428185318_1.jpg

I made my way to the Desolation Point Lighthouse.  I'm going to park here while I take a breather for a few days.  I've got a busy weekend anyway - no time for games!

Walking from Timberwolf, Pleasant Valley, and Coastal Highway was pretty quick since I've already looted everything.  The spawns in Pleasant Valley have changed for the better.  There's fewer wolves on the plains and more deer.  It looks like a great place to go deer hunting now.

I avoided running into wolves near the Mine exit and at the Forestry, but I'm not sure if I just didn't hit them at their patrol time.  I spotted a wolf further down the road where I've never seen one before, though.  It's in an inopportune place for my return journey.  The spawns seem to randomize, so maybe it will be gone when I come back.  I only ran into one wolf who gave the tell-tale bark, and I ran.  It didn't give chase.  By far, the best defense against wolves right now is to sprint in the opposite direction.

I found a rope spot in CH, but I didn't bring a rope with me.  I've noted it for next time.

The best thing about the v.327 update is the graphic engine update, hands down.  Now I have incentive to travel back to all my favorite places and retake their picture!

screen_45965e20-74f9-4bf3-ab6d-7c325bbf9

I mean, just look at that.  Like.  Wow.

Great story and lovely pictures!  I have a voyageur playthrough I started in DP, and after 115 days I'm out of matches.   Before I leave DP for another map I've been trying to decide on a new goal and destination.  This thread is giving me ideas... 9_9

Maybe I'll find a knife!  I've never had a real one, just a crude facsimile I tossed together in the forge.

Per @Drifter Man suggestion, I went back and revised my calculations.  As pointed out, I forgot to account for each log chop drops 3 pieces of firewood.

2,920 hours/3 hour per cedar = 973 cedar logs
2,920 hours/4.5 hour per fir = 649 fir logs

30 chops per hatchet * 3 hours per cedar chop = 90 hour potential per hatchet
30 chops per hatchet * 4.5 hours per fir chop = 135 hour potential per hatchet

2,920 hours/90 hours per hatchet = 32 hatchets
2,920 hours/135 hours per hatchet = 21 hatchets

Between 20 and 30 hatchets could possibly be enough for a year's worth of 8 hour per day logs?  We shall see!

So now I have a target number.  I'll work on it probably on Sunday.

On 28. 4. 2016 at 0:21 AM, Dinhammer said:

I enroll on the list too...

I started to follow this thread just a couple days ago. Now you are thinking about a pause. Well, if you need it, I respect that of course. In the meantime, I have a 7 previous pages of your stories to read. :)

Most people say that wolves are more dangerous now. I have too little experience with them after the update. Four encounters - twice they ran away and twice they followed but kept distance. Maybe the danger now lies in their unpredictability - they have a wider range of behaviors to choose from.

4 hours ago, Viktor Kvasnica said:

I enroll on the list too...

I started to follow this thread just a couple days ago. Now you thinking about a pause. Well, if you need it, I respect that of course. In the meantime, I have a 7 previous pages of your stories to read. :)

Aww shucks - you guys are sweet.  :love:

I'll be back with a story about crafting in Desolation Point on Sunday, promise!

19 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Great story and lovely pictures!  I have a voyageur playthrough I started in DP, and after 115 days I'm out of matches.   Before I leave DP for another map I've been trying to decide on a new goal and destination.  This thread is giving me ideas... 9_9

Maybe I'll find a knife!  I've never had a real one, just a crude facsimile I tossed together in the forge.

Hey cool!  Let us know where you end up!  Thanks for reading and the compliment! :D 

5 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Most people say that wolves are more dangerous now. I have too little experience with them after the update. Four encounters - twice they ran away and twice they followed but kept distance. Maybe the danger now lies in their unpredictability - they have a wider range of behaviors to choose from.

My experience has been that they are a whole lot tougher.  

In my previous runs the wolves would sometimes run away - happened most often when I was wearing the wolf coat or carrying a torch.  

Now, none of them have run away.  also, the wolves are turning back while I'm trying to stop myself from bleeding and finishing the attack.  Though one of the times it was a second wolf.  Even with fire they're not really runing away, they're going to a short distace and immediately turning in a u and coming back at me.  Previously they would finish whatever prey they took down and then mosey along and attack me... now they're dropping the rabbit/deer and then immediately charging across the map to me.  Not even stopping to gulp something down

10 hours ago, Jolan said:

Even with fire they're not really runing away, they're going to a short distace and immediately turning in a u and coming back at me.

I have noticed this as well.  I had a campfire built, one ran towards me, turned from the fire, then repeated this loop 3 times before wandering off.  I'm thinking something is not quite right with the attack and return.

I'll have more to say about wolf avoidance in my next story post.

9 hours ago, Jolan said:

My experience has been that they are a whole lot tougher.  

In my previous runs the wolves would sometimes run away - happened most often when I was wearing the wolf coat or carrying a torch.  

Now, none of them have run away.  also, the wolves are turning back while I'm trying to stop myself from bleeding and finishing the attack.  Though one of the times it was a second wolf.  Even with fire they're not really runing away, they're going to a short distace and immediately turning in a u and coming back at me.  Previously they would finish whatever prey they took down and then mosey along and attack me... now they're dropping the rabbit/deer and then immediately charging across the map to me.  Not even stopping to gulp something down

Wow. This is the opposite of what I've found.

If a wolf approaches me, I light a campfire. They run away 100% of the time, even if I haven't finished the igniting process when they get within striking distance. 2-3 sticks, tinder, matches = Wolfbegone.

The only times I've had problems with wolves since the update have been due either to my trying to be too clever or attempting something new to deal with a wolf, or because I've been unable for whatever reason to start a fire.

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

If a wolf approaches me, I light a campfire. They run away 100% of the time, even if I haven't finished the igniting process when they get within striking distance. 2-3 sticks, tinder, matches = Wolfbegone.

I'm not happy that the least intuitive method is the most reliable one. A flaming torch should be more impressive than a few sticks that you are still trying to get to burn. But randomization of wolf locations/patrol zones and of their behavior patterns are probably steps in the right direction. Maybe I should engage a wolf a few times in a controlled manner to get some experience before venturing off into the unknown.

2 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I'm not happy that the least intuitive method is the most reliable one. A flaming torch should be more impressive than a few sticks that you are still trying to get to burn. But randomization of wolf locations/patrol zones and of their behavior patterns are probably steps in the right direction. Maybe I should engage a wolf a few times in a controlled manner to get some experience before venturing off into the unknown.

I agree, it feels a  bit exploit-y.

But lighting a fire to deter an animal is intuitive to me. I think the details need adjusting, is all.

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

I agree, it feels a  bit exploit-y.

But lighting a fire to deter an animal is intuitive to me. I think the details need adjusting, is all.

Perhaps make fires repellant only when started with accelerant? (WHOOSH!)  At least this would give the stuff some use once firestarting skill is up to par.  (Not much of it around, though.)

I was going to write a lengthy in-game fiction from my character's pov, but I've run into technical issues with the last patch .332, so I won't be able to continue this weekend like I planned.  So this will just be a mechanical detail post instead.

The travel between Coastal Highway and the Lighthouse was largely uneventful.  They made terrain updates that made some of my shortcut routes impassable, but I was able to navigate around them.

I set off for my journey from Timberwolf to Desolation Point on Day 268.  I am now on Day 288 parked in the Forestry Lookout in Coastal Highway where I will remain due to game stopping bugs.  I'll come back to that later.

Let's talk wolves.  The new behaviors are erratic, and the wolves indeed have more options to chose from when they spot you.  According to my game journal data snapshots, I had 9 wolf encounters traveling from TWM to DP, and DP to CH Lookout.  Only one of those resulted in a wolf fight.  I was walking the Lighthouse path when my cat jumped on my desk distracting me, and then a wolf jumped over the snow bank.  Had said cat not distracted me, I might have heard the wolf and been able to duck out of the way!  So, wolf wins chasing a cat? :P 

Everyone is going to have their own preferred method of dealing with wolves now, I imagine.  For me, I have been able to run away from wolves with high reliability.  Once I hear the tell-tale back or growl they spot me, I just sprint away.  They haven't pursued.  I have been in fewer wolf confrontations in v.326 than in v.302.  Honestly, it's less scary than it seems.  Avoidance is an option.

In DP, I crafted 21 improvised hatchets.  I was limited by the amount of metal.  I was sure there was more metal in Hibernia, but I was wrong.  I made the low end of my desired range, so I will have to employ more conservative firewood use when I return to TWM.

I know a lot of people don't like the DP map, but I do.  I really dig the Lighthouse and the temperate weather.  I would live there if there was a fishing hut.  A fishing hut really is a must have for me.

The biggest change I noticed was the Hibernia plant was crawling with wolves and a bear.  At one point, I got trapped in a car with 2 wolves on either side of my door.  I managed to sneak out, but it was after several false attempts when I got chased back into the car.  It was very difficult to get in and out of the plant.

The bear now wanders as far as the Riken.  I stepped out of the Riken one day to be very surprised by the appearance of a bear's rear end.  I jumped and shouted IRL, then ducked into the Riken.  I'm sure the bear heard me.

The Little Island near the Riken now has a rabbit run, which was awesome.  Deer and rabbit for a hot meal working the forge every day.

The new lighting effects are still the best thing about this update and awes me.  I feel like I'm discovering the game for the first time again.

screen_642665b8-c434-44c2-a564-4dfd6c160

screen_adcc55b6-885b-4a65-9ee1-1547c8846

screen_d7ea7d1b-dfbb-45bf-a1b1-b94dd7a44

I did not get Cabin Fever, nor did I expect I would.  I worked one day on in the forge and one day off hunting/collecting wood/salvaging.  I don't know what the thresholds are, but my issue isn't with Cabin Fever in the patch.  My main issue remains that I cannot rest at least 8 hours a night.  It bugs me like an itch you can't scratch each time I bump into it.

That brings me to my newest issue.  Since the v.332 patch, food in containers is decaying at an astronomic rate.  Estimates are 10-11% per day.  I killed a deer, stored the meat in the Lighthouse before the v.332 patch and by the time I returned to it, it was 1% and useless.

The other worrying problem I've run into is my bearskin bedroll is deteriorating.  I put my bedroll in a locker in the Connector Mine to DP at 88%.  When I returned several days later, it was 82%.  About 1% per day.  There is nothing I can do to stop the decay.  It is decaying in containers, in my backpack and out in the open.  My regular bedrolls have also been decaying out in the open, which is alarming because I placed several in different mines for my use.

For these reasons, I'm parking this character until I understand what's going on better.  I'll be trying those challenges that I haven't done yet instead.  I'm sure the result will be stories in the vein of the original title of my thread: many deaths! ;) 

9 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

The bear now wanders as far as the Riken.  I stepped out of the Riken one day to be very surprised by the appearance of a bear's rear end.  I jumped and shouted IRL, then ducked into the Riken.  I'm sure the bear heard me.

A bear once surprised me just like this at the fishing camp in Coastal Highway in v.302... it must have wandered off from the Bear Creek.

I attempted the "Hopeless Rescue" challenge, but didn't complete it.  I won't post too many details to avoid spoilers for anyone else who hasn't tried it yet.  Basically I spent too much time in the beginning, and figured out what I needed to do about midway through.  I got to the summit, but wasn't able to make it back to DP.  All I needed was one more day and I would have made it.  I know now how to shave off some extra hours next time.

Because it's a timed event, resource management is quite interesting.  Packrats and hoarders are going to be penalized here.  I need to make better choices about what to take and what to leave next time as well.

At one point I made a Bear Gryll's type reckless move.  Cognizant that I was running out of time, I decided to make the Ravine crossing at night.  In the Challenge, you only have the basic clothes, and exposure is a real risk to manage.  The weather was clear and no wind, so it was the most stable weather I could have asked for in this instance.  In one of my games, I fell off the Ravine Railway, so I am terrified of the place.  "The don't look down" rule doesn't apply because not being centered on the narrow track is why I fell.  Now throw in the mix that I was attempting this at night.  But with lantern light in the middle of the night, I crossed the Ravine Railway.

This is something I would never do in my Sandbox game, so I feel that I got something new and different from the Challenge.  The sense of urgency had returned, and I needed to take bigger risks.

Even though I didn't finish it, it was still great fun. :)

I've been thinking lately about what the purpose of this thread is.  When I originally started this thread, I didn't have an aim or purpose other than to take a self-deprecating jab at my many deaths.

My current game is 288 days long.  When I originally started it, I almost gave up on it.  I had a horrible start with no rifle for the first 30 days, and a bear spawn at the Trapper's Cabin.  This made it extremely difficult to get animal fur clothing and food.  I had a much slower start than in previous games.

I thought for sure I would die quickly - 60 days tops.  But here I am at 288 days.

So what is my purpose in writing these stories?

You won't learn from me the best way to survive indefinitely.  I recommend @Drifter Man excellent post "1000 Days in the Dam" on how to conserve resources to survive a theoretical 1000 days without hibernation or other restriction tactics.  In post v.302, I nearly lost all my matches until they made the everlasting matches in v.326.  I just took a trip to DP to craft hatchets and used up all the metal in the Hibernia plant.

At some point, I'm going to run out of tools, matches, and other resources.  @Drifter Man is going to live to be a grizzled old man in the Dam.  I am going to die younger somewhere up in the mountains.  Perhaps you will learn from me the whimsical curiosity killed the cat.

If you want to live indefinitely, Timberwolf is not the place to be.  Storage is extremely minimal.  You have one 40kg hatch, a 5kg workbench drawer in the Mountaineer's hut, and a 20kg cabinet, and 30kg drawers in the fishing hut.  That's it.  There is also a bunker between PV/TWM that I just learned is always there.  It has a lot of empty lockers, but you have to travel up and down the rope to get to it.  The Mountaineer's Hut is only +10C warmer than the outside.  During a blizzard at the coldest part of the night, it can go to -20C indoors.

It's not a terribly easy place to live, and certainly not one if you want to maximize your resources.  I am importing 21 improvised hatchets from DP so that I can ensure I have at least 4-8 hour firewood for the next 300+ days.  If I lived in the Farmhouse, I wouldn't need it.  I could live off sticks for firewood indefinitely.  Thus all that metal in Hibernia would sit there as potential for something else.

I draw a lot of my inspirations for my character from my real life adventures camping/hiking/backpacking in the Pacific Northwest.  I try to travel light using my real experiences as a guide.  So perhaps I might have something interesting to add on that.

For a character that I had originally given up for dead, it seems I am living as one who know death comes for us all.  So why not climb the tallest mountain?

screen_9f52d946-4931-4495-be03-e2cd4d9b9

Thank you all for the really nice comments you've left lately.  A few of you have said you have learned something.  I'm not sure what you have learned, except maybe a Million Ways to Die in TLD. :P

For those of you who have said you've enjoyed reading these, I am curious if you have any favorites.  What have you learned?  Are there any in particular that you have found memorable?

I really enjoyed the ash cloud entry, and in general how you've come up with IC explanations for things that you do. I have a similar thought process when I'm playing some of my games (some are just random runs that I'm not that attached to), so it's interesting to see how others have solved these dilemmas.

Also I think it was you who was commenting about the deterioration rate for various things (??). I just noticed it when playing over the weekend. I killed 3 deer and cooked their meat and stored it in a locker at Carter Dam, and then took a 4 or so day journey to the lake and stayed there fishing and investigating the rope climbing spots.

When I got back, almost half of the deer meat was already at 43% and the rest as at no more than about 56%, so I'm wondering if this is intentional or something they're still working through. The fish, for some reason, is still in the upper 90%, and it's been anywhere from 2-3 days since I've caught and cooked that meat, so it seems really weird to me.

6 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

For those of you who have said you've enjoyed reading these, I am curious if you have any favorites.  What have you learned?  Are there any in particular that you have found memorable?

Personally, I enjoy the photojournalistic aspect of your posts.  You're going to laugh at this, but the image that initially hooked me was from "Playing with Matches" - the coffee and newspaper on the Mountaineer's porch.  It was something so simple, yet it showed RP depth I wish I had in my game.  The image of all the supplies neatly put away rather contrasts with my method of storage (hit "drop all" and let the chips fall where they may.)  I dunno... your passion for playing just... shows through.  And it's contagious.

Put another way, I go to Drifter's thread for education on how to play.  I come to you for inspiration on *why* to play.

You could be a photojournalist IRL for all I know.  If not, keep it on your short list. :)

Archived