You Never Forget Your Many Deaths

Vhalkyrie

5 hours ago, FromAfar2016 said:

I did a similar experiment in a voyager game once the patch had been released, and I managed to contract it after three days of just eating enough cooked wolf meat to maintain a 9% risk.  So it is random, and I just had bad luck and you had very 'good' luck! 

PS:  I love reading your posts here!  Thanks for putting in all of this time to share your experiences here :)

Hey thanks!  Glad you are enjoying and getting something useful out of it!  Thanks for confirming that the affliction can happen earlier.  I'm certain that I used up all my luck and it will happen to me at 2% risk from now on! :P 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super single math.

2000 calories per day x 7 days = 14,000 calories

Cabin Fever will supposedly kick in after 6 days, so this is what I will need when I go lock myself in my PV bunker.

I spent the evening fishing and trapping rabbits.  My food will be mainly rabbits and fish because I don't want to waste ammo on deer for an affliction experiment.

However, I lucked out that a wolf killed a deer on the Lake.  It left a lot of meat on the deer, so I was able to scavenge it.

Speaking of wolves, I found some interesting new behaviors.  My rabbits were frozen, so I lit a campfire to unfreeze them.  I like to do that so I don't wear down my hatchets on game meat.  While I was waiting for them to thaw, the wolf on the Lake spotted me and ran at me.  When it got within 50 yards of the camp fire, it ran off yelping.  In the v.302 behavior, it would stand at the fire edge until you shot it.  In the new releases, it seems to run away.  It repeated this pattern 3 more times before it wandered off for good.

If you have accelerant, you could probably start a campfire if a wolf charges you (given enough distance).  I probably won't do this often, but it's something to tuck away in case of emergency.

So far I haven't had too many issue with wolves.  I've been able to avoid or run away from them.  I've been carrying a piece of raw rabbit to throw as a decoy, but I haven't had to use it yet.

The (fire)brands are starting to grow on me.  Still wish we could clean up and dispose of them.  I have an accumulating garbage pile outside the Lodge.  The campfires don't clean up after themselves anymore, and I have a growing campfire graveyard around my rabbit trapping sites.

I'm really appreciating some of the subtle touches they added to the game.  Campfires are more resilient to the wind and don't puff out quite so easily - unless it is very strong or sustained.  I like that there's a smoke plume that blows in the wind.  I like that the new UI allows you to see what's going on in the background while you perform time accelerated tasks.

Timberwolf Mountain still has an issue with the stick respawn.  I still have to reload the game every morning after sleep in order to reset the stick/log count.  The rabbit spawn is equally weird, but I'm usually able to catch 1-2 rabbits per day.

I seem to be catching less fish than in the v.302 patch, which is odd to me.  Since they are attempting to discourage wolf/bear meat which many people were using as a primary food source, it seems strange that they would also reduce the fish rate.  While I like fishing, many people avoid it already, and an even further reduction in fish catches might discourage them further.  Hopefully this will get another look.  Supposedly there is going to be a fishing overhaul on the roadmap.

I finished moving 14,608 calories worth of deer, fish and rabbit to my PV bunker.  I'm parking in TWM for the night, and will see what happens when I get Cabin Fever tomorrow night after work.

Day 249: The Ash Cloud

20160427064416_1.thumb.jpg.11dfc79025ea6

I saw it two days ago.  I was on the porch at the lodge I now call home in Timberwolf Mountain sipping my coffee.  I noticed a dark, billowing plume coming from the south while preparing for a morning jaunt over to my rabbit traps.  It didn't look blue-gray like a normal storm cloud.  It looked like dirt and sand in the sky.

An Ash Cloud.

Did Mount Rainier in what used to be Washington State finally blow?

When Mount St Helens erupted on May 18, 1980, everyone was surprised.  Mount Rainier was the larger and more active volcano in the region, so when Helens erupted instead, it caught many off guard.  Ever since then, Rainier was considered a ticking time bomb.  It was just a matter of when.

That time was now, here at the edge of the world and the twilight of humankind.

I only had a couple of days to prepare.  The ash cloud was dangerous and would carry with it toxic poisons.  Ironically, the ash cloud would also likely make the region even colder.  Minus 50C could be possible.  There was no way I could sleep safely during the night in Timberwolf at those temperatures.  I needed to get some place safe and enclosed.

The Pleasant Valley survival bunker.

I found it a few months ago when I moved to Timberwolf.  It was long emptied and abandoned, but it served me well as a storage locker and a stopover transition point between the Pleasant Valley and Timberwolf regions.  It had a bed, work bench, and plenty of storage, but no stove.  Everything I took to eat would have to be brought in cooked.  I already fully supplied it with water, so no additional preparation was needed there.

I spent the next two days trapping rabbits and fishing.  From the fishing hut one morning, I watched a wolf take down a deer.  Once it was finished with its meal and a safe distance away, I quickly took the meat it didn't consume, about 6 kilos worth.

I gathered enough food for seven days.  I hoped the ash cloud would be passed by then.  At the very least, it should be less severe.

It was a beautifully clear day as I climbed the rope from Timberwolf down to Pleasant Valley.  Only the ash cloud growing larger on the horizon seemed out of place.  Despite the open blue skies, I noted the sound of birds curiously missing.  It seemed that nature was also preparing for the volcanic storm.

I am now in the bunker.  I can do nothing else but wait.  I'm sure I will be scratching at the walls in a few days, but I must stay inside.

7 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

What a great backstory to spending several days in the Bunker, especially with your outdoorsy play style!

Yup, Mt. Rainier is a ticking time bomb . . . 

Thanks!  I had to come up with some reason why I would be stuck down in that hole for a week.  I'll be writing little journal type stories in order to pass the time while I wait to get Cabin Fever.

Day 256: Stir Crazy

Bunker Day 1:

3x10 pushups
3x10 situps
3x10 jumping jacks

I need to keep in shape while down here.  I can't get flabby when I climb that rope again.

Only 3 sets of pushups.  My Coast Guard XO would bark that I'm getting soft.  At least I can still make the minimum fitness standards.

I wonder if he is still alive.  He was in Seattle when the geomagnetic storm hit.  And now that Rainier may have erupted...well.  In the military they don't teach you to grieve.  I hope the old man is saving lives.

I was en route for assignment in Alaska when the auroras appeared.  My plane was diverted to Vancouver.  We didn't make it.  The rest, as they say, is history.

The worst thing about being down in this hole is it leaves me too much time to think about all that has changed.  All that has been lost.  And I haven't even been here 24 hours.

Bunker Day 2:

3x10 pushups
3x10 situps
3x10 jumping jacks

I searched through my storage lockers and found arrow shafts, arrowheads and feathers to make arrows.  Might as well put them together.

Bunker Day 3:

3x10 pushups
3x10 situps
3x10 jumping jacks

I have a full day of...nothing.  I still have more arrows I can craft to keep me busy.

I completed making arrows.  What to do now?  Perhaps I will meditate.

Oom.  Oom.

How do you meditate?  Are you supposed to think about nothing?

Trying to think of nothing just made me go in a circular loop where I was thinking about how to think of nothing.

Screw meditation.

Bunker Day 4:

3x10 pushups
3x10 situps
3x10 jumping jacks

I tore up old clothes and darned socks.

I can't take it anymore.  I'm out of here.  I don't care that it's the middle of the night.  I'm going to open the hatch and hope that the ash cloud has passed.

It looks ok out here.  I'm going home.

Day 256:

I left in the middle of the night back to Timberwolf.  There was light snow, but it wasn't bad.  No wind to speak of.  I have walked that path between the cliff edge to the lodge so many times, I traversed it in the dark with ease.  Walked home blindfolded, practically.

Once I got back home, I couldn't stand the thought of being indoors one more second.  I grabbed my bearskin sleeping roll and went to the fishing hut.  Best sleep I've had in days.  Being inside the can was claustrophobic.

The ash cloud seems to have passed.  The wolf and deer on the lake are missing, but I hope they survived.  Seeing another living being at least makes me feel slightly less alone.  Even if some of them want to eat me, and I will eat some of them in turn.  Nature can afford few friends when there is hunger.

I spent the day fishing until the last of the cabin fever was out of me.  I took my fish catches home at dusk, and collapsed in bed.

Cabin Fever

So there it is.  Cabin Fever.

20160427192859_1.thumb.jpg.669695b3e482e

I got it after 4 days instead of the 6 advertised.  I'm guessing it's because of the method I used.  I went into the bunker and stayed in there all day instead of going in and out.  There must be some maximum threshold that if you are indoors 96 hours out of 144, then you get cabin fever.  That's approximately 66% time indoors versus outdoors.  So if you spend 3 days all day indoors, you should spend at least 3 days outdoors to avoid cabin fever.  An overnight fishing trip in a fishing hut should do the trick to rebalance the clock.

But maybe the Cabin Fever calculation also took into account my time indoors a couple days earlier.  Even though *I* counted my experiment as day 1, it probably took into account time in prior days.  So my 4 days was 6 days according to their clock.  I probably was indoors 20 hours in the earlier 2 days, so my total time indoors under this scenario would be 116 out of 144 or 81%.

As expected, the Mountaineer's Hut is considered indoors and would not let me sleep.  The fishing hut is outdoors, and I could sleep in a bedroll.

I didn't do too much analysis, but I did determine that sleeping for 1 hour expends 75 calories and 1 hour standing around idle expends 125 calories.  I'm sure there are more detailed calorie expenditure analyses out there, but this is one I have been casually wondering about.

The affliction triggered at an inopportune time.  I got it just as it turned to 10 hours of darkness.  I didn't bring my bedroll with me, so I was somewhat panicked that it was night, I was down to 1/3 fatigue, and suddenly I had nowhere to sleep.  I'm very fortunate that there wasn't a blizzard outside, and I could walk back to Timberwolf in the dark.  I was kicking myself about not bringing the bedroll.  I did have 5 packets of coffee on me that I could have brewed.

I didn't use the pass time feature.  The first day, I just let my character idle as I worked out on my treadmill, took a shower, and made dinner.  I suppose this hibernation experiment made me slightly more active IRL!  The next few days I crafted arrows and shredded extra clothes.  So even if you are active inside doing things, you will still get it.  And you don't need to use pass time.

While in normal circumstances I shouldn't run into issues with Cabin Fever, I particularly dislike this new feature.  My hand feels forced.  I'm glad that I completed all my Farmhouse activities before this patch because there were times when I was definitely indoors for 3-4 days due to blizzards on PV.  While I am not the target player of this particular feature, I feel like this is a scatter gun that hits everyone, innocent and guilty alike.

I don't have too much to worry about in my normal play with this, however, there are some instances where I might legitimately hit the thresholds and get penalized for it.  This is an immersion breaker for me because I'm being told what to do.  Go outside and play.  I naturally had my own version of Cabin Fever when I lived in the Farmhouse.  For a game that was so good at not holding hands and telling you what to do (no compass!), this affliction is a thumbs down for me.

What I'm noticing is that Cabin Fever is denoted by a huge, red Excedrin-sized headache. 

I agree that Cabin Fever, as you describe in your experiment, is hampering normal gameplay. My characters are normally out and about as much as possible during daylight. However, I'm thinking back to when my first Pilgrim character Julian spent time in PV crafting a complete set of fur clothes, shot two bears for the bedroll (in preparation for TM down the road), and basically explored the map. There were days she was indoors due to a combination of crafting the coat and blizzards; or crafting the bedroll and blizzards. Playing the game with that mix of crafting, weather restrictions, and so on would doubtlessly brought on Cabin Fever, even though I didn't hibernate but one or two days out of the two months there. 

As I'm still in the second Pilgrim play, I haven't yet experienced the Cabin Fever (or the Parasitism) affliction yet. But I'm reading all the reports on it vicariously, as I believe the best way to survive is to learn from mistakes. Especially other people's mistakes. :side-eye:

12 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

What I'm noticing is that Cabin Fever is denoted by a huge, red Excedrin-sized headache. 

:D:D 

12 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

I agree that Cabin Fever, as you describe in your experiment, is hampering normal gameplay.

Right.  I'm not the target of this particular affliction, but I can definitely be hit by the shrapnel.  This affliction would have affected me the most on the PV Farmhouse map.  Just like you, I was spending a lot of time indoors crafting big items like the coat and bedroll, plus shelter from the weather.  PV Farmhouse gives me flashbacks of being locked indoors for days, which makes me not want to go back there.  This affliction would be insult to injury.

Well, we're likely stuck with it.  Can only work around it.  By all means, learn from my mistakes - I certainly make plenty of them! :D 

For me, I plan to take overnight fishing trips once every few days.  It fits with my character persona to do so, but I am altering some of my gameplay flow to do so.  I've read posts from Raphael that this shouldn't be seen as something that should alter your behavior, but it does. :/  

On 27/4/2016 at 4:41 AM, Vhalkyrie said:

The campfires don't clean up after themselves anymore, and I have a growing campfire graveyard around my rabbit trapping sites.

vader.jpg

What do you mean with campfires do not clean up themselves? Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. 

i was so happy about it,i hated to see the campfires sitting where i lit them 40 days ago. Hope that's going to be fixed soon. Also for Firebrands!

Anyway thanks for sharing your log of experiments with us. It's nice to discover a thing or two about how game mechanics work after every update!

What's next?

I have two different directions that I can go.  I can either climb to the Timberwolf summit and begin collecting goodies (as well as fulfilling a vicarious wish for mountain climbing that I would never do IRL), or I can go to Desolation Point and craft a stockpile of hatchets.  For roleplaying and immersion purposes, I really want to keep a fire burning at night at the Lodge.  Not only is it safer (I almost inadvertently died one night), but I would do this IRL.

Let's assume that I want to keep a fire burning for 365 days for 8 hours a night.

365x8 = 2,920 hours
2,920 / 1 hour cedar = 2,920 cedars
2,920 / 1.5 hour fir = 1,947 fir
2,920 / 1 hour sticks = 2,920 * 9 (sticks per 1 hour) = 26,280 LOL - but we don't need hatchets for sticks.

Hatchet wear is 3% per use or about 33 log chops in 1 hatchet.

33 * 1 hour cedar = 33 hour potential
33 * 1.5 hour fir = 49.5 hour potential

2,920 / 33 cedar hours per hatchet = 89 hatchets
2,920 / 49.5 fir hours per hatchet = 59 hatchets

Obviously fir is the more economical, but cedar is more common.  So 60-90 hatchets is what I would need for roughly a year's supply of logs for an 8 hour fire every night.

I could probably go on the low end and assume that I supplement shortfalls with sticks.  There is also an option for coal.  I already imported 60 pieces of coal from PV to Timberwolf, but I had a special purpose for them.

There are some wrinkles with either climbing the summit or going to DP to make hatchets.  The new wolf behavior is very erratic, and I don't have a lot of confidence in how to handle it.  So it is deterring me from making long trips.  Second, the cabin fever affliction is going to be horrible when at the forge.  The fuel cost for starting a fire at the forge is very high, so it makes most sense to run them all day.  Marathon runs at the forge are probably going to cause Cabin Fever.  I suppose I can do 5 days on and 2 days off - like a work week and weekend.  Haha!  I'll have to work out my estimates on that a little more, but we'll roll with that for brainstorming purposes.  

If I recall correctly, a hatchet takes 4 hours to craft, so I can probably make 2 or 3 per day.  We'll assume I'll make 3 in a 12 hour period, eat, then sleep.  I'm also assuming that I have made a stockpile of water, so I won't need to prep water.  Food...we'll get to that.

60/3 per day = 20 days

Now factor in needing rest periods for Cabin Fever.

20 days / 2 to account for "rest" days = 10 additional days.

So minimum of approximately 30 days in DP to make 60 hatchets.

However, I also need food.  DP map doesn't have fishing, which sucks.  Just deer and rabbit, disregarding wolf and bear.  I would need to gather 2000 calories x 5 days = 10,000 calories for forging in 2 days.

Deer is 800 calories per kg and typically has 8kg of meat, so 1 deer is 6400 calories.  Add in the remaining with 8 rabbits.

So I'll need roughly 1 deer per "week" or 4 deer and 32 rabbits.

Whew.

I could go less extreme and make 30 hatchets for only half a year, then make the trip again.  I may go that route.  I'm not sure I have the patience/stamina to marathon craft hatchets for 30 days. :S 

Just brainstorming here.  Not sure which direction I am going to go yet.  I still need to figure out a wolf handling method.  I need to find a way to do that before I can go either Summit climb or DP forging.  I have a couple of ideas, I'll have to test them out.

7 minutes ago, Recoil911 said:

What do you mean with campfires do not clean up themselves? Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. 

i was so happy about it,i hated to see the campfires sitting where i lit them 40 days ago. Hope that's going to be fixed soon. Also for Firebrands!

Anyway thanks for sharing your log of experiments with us. It's nice to discover a thing or two about how game mechanics work after every update!

I'm afraid not. :(  Here's my campfire/brands graveyard.

20160427062749_1.thumb.jpg.ad4236011a243

I'm having fun sharing my stories, glad you're enjoying it. :)

On 27/4/2016 at 4:41 AM, Vhalkyrie said:

The campfires don't clean up after themselves anymore, and I have a growing campfire graveyard around my rabbit trapping sites.

also thanks for making me discover that i can unfreeze animal bodies if i start a fire near them. Didn't knew about that!!!!

PS: Anyone know how to remove quotes when replying on a thread? Everytime i quote somebody in a specific Thread it gets locked into my reply board. :(

Interesting and also informative stories, @Vhalkyrie. I will keep reading them. :)

35 minutes ago, Recoil911 said:

also thanks for making me discover that i can unfreeze animal bodies if i start a fire near them. Didn't knew about that!!!!

Me too, I was surprised.

35 minutes ago, Recoil911 said:

PS: Anyone know how to remove quotes when replying on a thread? Everytime i quote somebody in a specific Thread it gets locked into my reply board. :(

I may be able to help, but I do not understand clearly. What "quotes" do you mean? Can you clarify or post a picture?

45 minutes ago, Recoil911 said:

Sure can!  They unfreeze at a rate of about 1% per (game) minute.  So a fully frozen carcass will need 50 minutes to get to 50%.  You can start harvesting at the "unthawed" rate as soon as it ticks 50%.

I situate my rabbit traps so that they will all unthaw with one fire ring.  The range is pretty good, but I haven't tested the limits.  One of my rabbit runs I place my traps near a large tree.  The tree allows me to place a fire sheltered from the wind from almost any direction.  I'll grab a picture next time.

I usually cook fish while I wait for the rabbits to unthaw, or boil water. :) Multitasking!

7 minutes ago, Viktor Kvasnica said:

Interesting and also informative stories, @Vhalkyrie. I will keep reading them. :)

Me too, I was surprised.

I may be able to help, but I do not understand clearly. What "quotes" do you mean? Can you clarify or post a picture?

sure! with quote i mean when you click on the button in the bottom left corner of somebody else post to reply directly to them. after i've replied to somebody the little box where the other user words are marked (just like the one above this message) tend to stay locked in the box where you write the message to post. Weird tho,now that i've opened the forum again they didn't show up!

29 minutes ago, Recoil911 said:

sure! with quote i mean when you click on the button in the bottom left corner of somebody else post to reply directly to them. after i've replied to somebody the little box where the other user words are marked (just like the one above this message) tend to stay locked in the box where you write the message to post. Weird tho,now that i've opened the forum again they didn't show up!

You can just delete the quote with the BACKSPACE/DELETE key on your keyboard.

There are also more options (to remove/paste), if you "hold ctrl and right-click" the quote:

reply-more_options.jpg.d781e5b05ba43484a

reply-options.jpg.aefa3ded06d3d5b2f41427

Or, you can quote only selected text if you do not want to quote the whole post:

quote_this.jpg.42eb6ffc8346df2c335a8a99e

So I found potentially another change in the game that I'm not happy with.  I keep my bear roll stored in the fishing hut because it's big and bulky, and I have limited storage space on TWM.  Since the new patch, my bear skin roll has started deteriorating.  Not very fast, but even a 1% loss is irritating given how difficult it is to obtain.  I also noticed that my coffee I store on the shelf for roleplaying and storage purposes has also degraded 1%.

I'm getting discouraged.  I might be shelving the game until later in the future before I grow disenchanted with it altogether.

v.302 was amazing as far as I was concerned.  There's some nice parts to the new patch, but there are some quirks that are bothering me. :( 

17 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

But maybe the Cabin Fever calculation also took into account my time indoors a couple days earlier.  Even though *I* counted my experiment as day 1, it probably took into account time in prior days.  So my 4 days was 6 days according to their clock.  I probably was indoors 20 hours in the earlier 2 days, so my total time indoors under this scenario would be 116 out of 144 or 81%.

I think this is the more likely explanation. I spend close to 80% of the time indoors without getting Cabin Fever. I should be careful, then.

For the same reason I don't want to draw like/dislike conclusions about this affliction. However, I too feel that "what is happening in your head" should be happening in your - the player's - head rather than being simulated as the character's mental condition. If you are bored, you are bored and quit. If you give up in a seemingly hopeless situation, you give up. If you can't stand being indoors, you can't stand being indoors.

2 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I've read posts from Raphael that this shouldn't be seen as something that should alter your behavior, but it does. :/

Personally, I'll withhold a conclusion like this until I actually get this affliction during my regular routine. I expect I'm more prone to getting it than you. I'll let you know if it happens.

1 hour ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Let's assume that I want to keep a fire burning for 365 days for 8 hours a night.

365x8 = 2,920 hours
2,920 / 1 hour cedar = 2,920 cedars
2,920 / 1.5 hour fir = 1,947 fir
2,920 / 1 hour sticks = 2,920 * 9 (sticks per 1 hour) = 26,280 LOL - but we don't need hatchets for sticks.

Hatchet wear is 3% per use or about 33 log chops in 1 hatchet.

33 * 1 hour cedar = 33 hour potential
33 * 1.5 hour fir = 49.5 hour potential

2,920 / 33 cedar hours per hatchet = 89 hatchets
2,920 / 49.5 fir hours per hatchet = 59 hatchets

Although I don't use the improvised hatchet, I have some experience with this kind of thinking in general :) Maybe I could help?

90 sticks get 11 hours and 33 minutes of fire, including one stick used to kindle that fire. 7.7 sticks per hour is more accurate. Not that it changes much.

You get multiple firelogs per chop. Typically, you get 3 cedar or 3 fir per each hatchet use. That is 3 hours or 4.5 hours per chop.

Tools tend to break at about 10%, so you should only consider about 30 chops per each improvised hatchet = 90 hours and 135 hours, respectively. So you'd only need to craft about 32 or 22 hatchets, right?

Chopping that much wood will also cost you about 170 extra calories per day (fir) or 251 calories (cedar) with the normal hatchet - even more with the improvised one - and maybe three hours of time. Wood also respawns at a finite rate only and you may have to walk longer distances for it. Greater danger from wolves. All in all, I think 8 hours of fire per day is a workable plan if you want to go all in, but downsizing to 3-4 hours of fire in the coldest part of the night could be a good idea!

2 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

However, I also need food.  DP map doesn't have fishing, which sucks.  Just deer and rabbit, disregarding wolf and bear.  I would need to gather 2000 calories x 5 days = 10,000 calories for forging in 2 days.

Deer is 800 calories per kg and typically has 8kg of meat, so 1 deer is 6400 calories.  Add in the remaining with 8 rabbits.

So I'll need roughly 1 deer per "week" or 4 deer and 32 rabbits.

Ah, and this :) An average deer has 9 kg, ranging from 8 to 10 kg. 10,000 Cal means 1 deer and 5 rabbits.

27 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Ah, and this :) An average deer has 9 kg, ranging from 8 to 10 kg. 10,000 Cal means 1 deer and 5 rabbits.

I was estimating on the low end of the range, but thanks again. :) I also disregard the offcuts for rabbits. 

32 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Personally, I'll withhold a conclusion like this until I actually get this affliction during my regular routine. I expect I'm more prone to getting it than you. I'll let you know if it happens.

I speak for no one but myself in like/dislikes.  The scenario I simulated in the bunker isn't unlike what I would have experienced back in the Farmhouse.  Staying indoors 24 hours for 3 continuous days, or 1 day off and 2 days on due to blizzards wasn't uncommon at all.  I definitely feel that I would have been prone to Cabin Fever without choice or cause.

4 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I speak for no one but myself in like/dislikes.  The scenario I simulated in the bunker isn't unlike what I would have experienced back in the Farmhouse.  Staying indoors 24 hours for 3 continuous days, or 1 day off and 2 days on due to blizzards wasn't uncommon at all.  I definitely feel that I would have been prone to Cabin Fever without choice or cause.

Fair enough :) Maybe they will have to rebalance the ways this condition can be contracted. After all, it is just a test feature for now.

Anyway, I feel I'm unnecessarily nitpicking on those numbers... sorry for that. And thanks for testing the new afflictions!

17 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Fair enough :) Maybe they will have to rebalance the ways this condition can be contracted. After all, it is just a test feature for now.

Yeah, and this is one of my reservations about Early Access games.  I never buy them, but I made an exception for this game because it was so different, and I really liked the art style.  I have over 350+ hours played, so I definitely got my money's worth, but I can feel my frustration level growing, so I'll probably need to step away from this and play something else for a while.  

Parasites are easily avoided.  Cabin Fever is a low risk in normal circumstances.  I don't foresee living back at the Farmhouse, so only risk of Cabin Fever is when I go to DP for crafting.  However, the rest system is particularly irksome and jarring, and I experience it on a daily basis.

Archived