hunting rifle design

bekkar

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2016 at 0:57 AM, bekkar said:

i'm just curious why you've changed the design for the hunting rifle. i wasn't able to find any answers.

mAo5buV.png?1

for me personally i like the first design more. 

Hey Bekkar, I know that the current rifle design is meant to strongly resemble a variant of the Lee-Enfield rifle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee%E2%80%93Enfield

It's a weapon you might find stashed in a homestead out in the Canadian backcountry. A reliable companion in the wilderness. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hey Bekkar, I know that the current rifle design is meant to strongly resemble a variant of the Lee-Enfield rifle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee%E2%80%93Enfield

It's a weapon you might find stashed in a homestead out in the Canadian backcountry. A reliable companion in the wilderness. 

I agree, I recently bought one, it wasn't what I wanted initially, but they are just such a nice solid gun. There is nothing delicate about them and they were meant to be used and abused. And the action on it felt better than guns that were 2x or 3x mores expensive.

Sam

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

i just want a shotgun...

Why? No offense, but for deer and large game a rifle is usually better at range. Are you hoping to blast wolves at close range?

And a note for the rifle pictured a post or two above is a .22 caliber Mossberg/MagTech meant for target shooting or maybe squirrels. The in game rifle is an Enfield Rifle, found throughout the US and Canada, they're old, but very good rifles. I'd really only be willing to give that up for a Remington 700 in .300 WinMag. But then ammo would be harder to find in real life, the .303 is a pretty common bullet, rivaled only by the .223 for the you can find them laying all over the place award.

One other note on the age of the rifle, the magazine Guns, Guns, Guns, now found in game to learn shooting skill, was published in 1997, does this indicate the time in which the game takes place. If so that would make the older Enfield even more apropos. But then there are flat TVs in the some houses, so maybe it's just an old book for an old gun.

Maybe they could have a variety of rifle styles, and just for game play sake, just make them all the same caliber.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing this game since a few months after release, and I honestly don't remember the rifle ever looking like that. When was it changed? I will say, I've always thought it odd that such a gun was considered something that would be commonly found, but maybe in Canada, eh? I always figured a .30 caliber lever action rifle would suit the game better. They are a bit smaller, easier to handle, quicker to shoulder and shoot. The lever actions, like the winchester  94, are very popular and common among big game hunters, trappers and outdoorsmen in New England; maybe not so much other places I guess.

1 minute ago, TROY said:

I've been playing this game since a few months after release, and I honestly don't remember the rifle ever looking like that. When was it changed? I will say, I've always thought it odd that such a gun was considered something that would be commonly found, but maybe in Canada, eh? I always figured a .30 caliber lever action rifle would suit the game better. They are a bit smaller, easier to handle, quicker to shoulder and shoot. The lever actions, like the winchester  94, are very popular and common among big game hunters, trappers and outdoorsmen in New England; maybe not so much other places I guess.

The logic behind Hinterland choosing the Enfield is it was, and to some degree still is, the standard rifle for the Canadian Wilderness Patrols. As I understand it they only recently began replacing them with modern bolt action rifles. (I think they're using Remingtons, but I'm no sure).

As long as all the guns in the game use the same bullets, there is room for some variety in design, it just a matter of whether or not Hinterland wants to devote resources to making different graphic assets for things that all do the same thing. Time and money don't make this a cost effective endeavor.

@miah999  Thanks for that tidbit. That makes perfect sense.  As far as adding different models and variations, I for one don't feel like that would actually make the game more enjoyable or immersive. A rifle is a rifle and I hardly ever fire it anyways. :) 

***EDIT***   HAHAHAHAHA!  I just looked this up, and ironically, the Canadian Rangers WERE originally issued the very popular (at the time) .30 caliber  Winchester model 94's and Marlin 1936's, but ammo was scarce for them, so when the Canadian regulars were upgraded from the Enfields, those were passed down to, and became the standard for the Rangers. 

Archived