Lack of logic is hurting the gameplay

dbldrew

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do agree with the arrow head thing

there should and lets say MUST be some other way to make it

forging it every time u need a single arrow head that is not quit well i suppose :|

and the rabbit thing is an idea too every one could carry a rabbit inside :)

20 minutes ago, mr_jeremy said:

I just can't stand how long search times are. Does anyone else feel this way?

In real life it takes me no time at all to see a fridge, or stove is empty. Not 6-10 seconds.

I think it assumes that  lot of containers aren't actually empty apart from the things that are shown--you have to sort through all the useless junk, spoiled food, ect. to get the good stuff.

On 10/31/2016 at 0:50 PM, Tsayers1068 said:

I think it assumes that  lot of containers aren't actually empty apart from the things that are shown--you have to sort through all the useless junk, spoiled food, ect. to get the good stuff.

Hence the sound effects played while searching. Your character is moving something around.

One minor thing that I find a bit off-putting is the degradation of matches.

I went up to my cottage on Friday (Real-life, not TLD) and evening came and I wanted to make a fire.

Both bbq lighters and the bic lighter in the cabin were empty, so I had to resort to the wooden matches that are in one of my fishing tackle boxes. 

The matches were put in that tackle box 26 years ago when I bought it and initially filled it with stuff.  No lie.  They weren't in any protective container other than the tackle box and their original cardboard box.

I dunno.  Kind of silly to degrade matches for no reason.  Unless you get dumped in the water beachcombing or something.

Hard to find things about the game that I don't like.  I am digging deep here. :)

On 27/10/2016 at 9:50 PM, Mikhail_Reign said:

I don't really like the cabin fever mechanic. If anything I think the game should be forcing you inside MORE, so that you HAVE to go out in bad weather, because you might starve/freeze before their is a break in the weather. I don't think 'should I use this match' should be quiet as emphasise, and 'should I go out I this weather' more emphasised.

What will you do all that time inside? It's not the sims!

They still plan to add the emotional cost of survival that will surelly come to have something to say in this.

5 hours ago, togg said:

What will you do all that time inside? It's not the sims!

They still plan to add the emotional cost of survival that will surelly come to have something to say in this.

This whole emotional angle will hopefully make the game much more of a challenge. I think it could overhaul game-play a lot more then people would think.

It is for sure the biggest and most important gameplay change in the roadmap, the one that I hope will completelly complete the experience and make your journey more alive. Now you have the small sensation (especially if you played a lot) that you're going from 100% to 100% situations for your character and her stats.

There's also the knowledge system, time management, clothes. Some of those can impact some details of cabin fever (that was never ever a problem for me btw) but the game will always be more focused on the outside I suppose.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:01 PM, cekivi said:

The problem is not all players like to be on the move. And you're right, if you spend a week chopping firewood and harvesting food than you can stay inside nearly indefinitely. However, I don't view that as an exploit. I suspect that's why we have a difference of opinion :winky:

Basically, if you spend the time preparing to stay indoors well fed and warm than cabin fever should be a small annoyance. My proposed change is targeted specifically at starvation-hibernation as the condition loss received from starving and sleeping would be much harder to heal. If you want to make it more fair you could even introduce a cabin fever severity scale that requires additional time outside based on how long you've had cabin fever.

I agree with this strongly.  Cekivi nails my thoughts on the topic very well.  If I build enough resources to spend a considerable amount of time indoors what harm does it cause?  I almost exclusively play on Voyager and, as there are no longer leaderboards, I fail to see why anyone would object.  Sure I think hibernation was a cheesy trick but I couldn't care less if a player utilized it.  I like Cekivi's ideas regarding cabin fever, I feel it's a better implementation of the current mechanic.

Why does it have to be 48 hours to get rid of it ?

I thought the whole point of actual Cabin Fever was that it came from boredom and restlessness.

It can get real damn interesting and tiring if you run around in a blizzard for 30 minutes.Or get the shits or read books or make a wolfskin coat in freezing cold.

It certainly doesn't take 48 hours and I don't wanna be thinking how long I have been staying inside in a 6 day span.It takes me out of the game.

It should have more conditions or just be shorter, like it only happens when you ONLY eat, drink and sleep for 6 days, because THAT is boring in real life and in the game.

I get that it suppose to make you go out, but I'm still asking this question to this day - why even bother playing this if you are just repeating 3-4 tasks ?

Gathering wood - makes sense, I have to go out to do that. Blizzards make more wood abstractly. It adds a slight risk of going out.

Boiling water - makes sense, I need a stove.Inside or outside doesn't matter.One of the most intuitive aspects of this game since the beginning.Having to gather snow would probably be too tiresome.It has the perfect abstract/realism ratio.

Sleeping - makes sense, I get exhausted. There are different conditions to it.

Temperature - always a problem, sometimes it's a bit weird, but I get it it can't be too real.Although it stops being a problem when you have endless supply of skins.

Respawning wildlife - makes no sense.I have infinite means to sustain myself for months. THIS is the reason you can actually play this for hundreds of days.

Even if you have Finite wildlife you would last a long time. If you want SANE people to actually play this for 800 days then there should be a working ecosystem in the game.

Like a lifecycle, which you can actively control.Or some sort of weather change, that makes you move.

On 11/19/2016 at 0:12 AM, pulkmees said:

Why does it have to be 48 hours to get rid of it ?

I thought the whole point of actual Cabin Fever was that it came from boredom and restlessness.

It can get real damn interesting and tiring if you run around in a blizzard for 30 minutes.Or get the shits or read books or make a wolfskin coat in freezing cold.

It certainly doesn't take 48 hours and I don't wanna be thinking how long I have been staying inside in a 6 day span.It takes me out of the game.

It should have more conditions or just be shorter, like it only happens when you ONLY eat, drink and sleep for 6 days, because THAT is boring in real life and in the game.

I get that it suppose to make you go out, but I'm still asking this question to this day - why even bother playing this if you are just repeating 3-4 tasks ?

Gathering wood - makes sense, I have to go out to do that. Blizzards make more wood abstractly. It adds a slight risk of going out.

Boiling water - makes sense, I need a stove.Inside or outside doesn't matter.One of the most intuitive aspects of this game since the beginning.Having to gather snow would probably be too tiresome.It has the perfect abstract/realism ratio.

Sleeping - makes sense, I get exhausted. There are different conditions to it.

Temperature - always a problem, sometimes it's a bit weird, but I get it it can't be too real.Although it stops being a problem when you have endless supply of skins.

Respawning wildlife - makes no sense.I have infinite means to sustain myself for months. THIS is the reason you can actually play this for hundreds of days.

Even if you have Finite wildlife you would last a long time. If you want SANE people to actually play this for 800 days then there should be a working ecosystem in the game.

Like a lifecycle, which you can actively control.Or some sort of weather change, that makes you move.

But what would be the point of cabin fever if you could just get rid of it by spending 2 or 3 hours outside, that's like a quick walk around the neighborhood.

Also a life cycle is a complex thing to make, not really something I think hinterland would spend a lot time on for such a simple thing most people wouldn't notice, I mean they already have wolves which will hunt deer.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:59 PM, svisketyggeren said:

Didnt have time to read through all the posts, but the amount of wood u need to make a warm enough fire is perfectly logical. U need atleast 3-5 logs to make a fire that will warm u up in -20 c

a fire that will only burn for 15-20 min burns at about 1200 deg so no its not logical. 

On 11/24/2016 at 4:09 PM, Potarus said:

But what would be the point of cabin fever if you could just get rid of it by spending 2 or 3 hours outside, that's like a quick walk around the neighborhood.

Also a life cycle is a complex thing to make, not really something I think hinterland would spend a lot time on for such a simple thing most people wouldn't notice, I mean they already have wolves which will hunt deer.

I think the problem Cabin Fever is trying to solve is not working. I think there are better ways to make it more intuitive.There are still people who use the starvation mechanic even with cabin fever successfully.Meanwhile the players, who don't use it are also punished.

The life cycle thing is complex yes, but I also think it's an area games haven't explored yet.The current system is just a bit too simplistic(for me) compared to everything else this game does really well.Players should be able to control an area populated with only around 10 animals(a single map) IF you have a weapon.

Right now they just spawn in the same area doing their same patrol route.It works in the beginning of the game, but not after you grind the same wolf spot for fur and meat.

14 minutes ago, pulkmees said:

Right now they just spawn in the same area doing their same patrol route.It works in the beginning of the game, but not after you grind the same wolf spot for fur and meat.

Valid point. This is something that is being addressed though. Over hunting should eventually deplete a map.

10 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

Dunno what ur ingame fire does, but mine will burn for several hours if I put on 4-5 logs. Ofc Fir wood being the longest.

yes thats not my problem with fire.. its that it takes a fire that burns for 3-4 hours to raise the temp high enough to not die of hypothermia. My point is that the current fire needs to be overhauled. 

If you make a small fire that only lasts 30min-1hour then that should raise the surrounding temp above freezing. The bigger the fire the larger the radius of heat there is.. so a small fire you need to be very close to it but it should still raise the temp above freezing. they can even add in cover so building a fire up against a rock wall will increase the heat radius, and wind will decrease the radius.

Archived