Sleeping period should be out of our control.

simarson

The sleeping mechanism right now is not right. you pick a hour number and wait for waking up and pick a new. You in total control. You have even the willpower to kill yourself with sleeping by dehydration, hunger or freezing by accident.

When you those to sleep you should really mean it because you don't know when the game would wake you up again.

If you starving, thirst or freezing you could/should wake. How long is deferment by your fatigue. Storms should have the ability to wake you up ad night. Even a wolf ad the door sniffing and making noise should to. After the fire is going out and there is very cold you would wake up before it is getting very dangerous to do something about it.

There should be a bar called comfort that would interact with how easy it is to sleep and do other other tasks. Drinking some tea for relaxing.

If you manage to get a good night sleep because of luck or good preparation you get a bonus or maybe the other way around if you get a bad night sleep you get a handicap for that next day.

You should never use sleep because you need a fast forward button. We need a rest option for that there don't need a bedroll to function.

You should never use sleep because you need a fast forward button. We need a rest option for that there don't need a bedroll to function.

Agreed!

If you starving, thirst or freezing you could/should wake.

Actually, people who suffer from hypothermia often feel sleepy/ drowsy and have been known to lie down just to close their eyes for a minute only to fall asleep and die in their sleep. So instead of waking up when you're freezing, there should be a chance you never wake up.

Storms should have the ability to wake you up ad night. Even a wolf ad the door sniffing and making noise should to.

A while ago interruptions of sleep were introduces that were meant to be pretty much what you describe here. People disliked this so much it was removed in the next update.

There should be a bar called comfort that would interact with how easy it is to sleep and do other other tasks. Drinking some tea for relaxing.

I did like the idea of interrupting sleep, but it was just too random. If it were made less random and something like comfort could reduce the amount of interruptions I think it could work well.

This idea is pleasant to me much more than that in which in a dream the player struggles with wolves (a dream it something unusual if to realize it, in a dream everything has to differ from reality, it seems to me, differently there will be a monotonous repetition). We can't really control the dream, it would be even better if the player couldn't go to bed again if he slept also vigorous (during the day), and at night he would lay down but couldn't fall asleep, would be dissatisfied this morning. It would complicate game and forced the player to work, do something.

I don't really mind if the game won't let me sleep when I'm not tired, as long as there is a way to speed up time when I want to. Like when trapped in a cave, waiting out a blizzard. The ability to rest with or without a sleeping bag (resting with a sleeping bag should grant the same warmth bonus as when sleeping in it and it should also deteriorate when resting in it) would be a way to do this.

I apologize for my English, I translate via google with the Russian language. :)

So you're actually apologizing for Google's english :D

Agreed!

+1 for a resting option!

As far as the OP's idea of uncontrolled sleeping is concerned.. be careful what you wish for, simarson.^^

Imagine it's late morning and you want (or need to) go hunting that day. Unfortunately, a blizzard starts as soon as you leave the house and you have to return to your base. You would probably want to sleep for 3 or maybe 4 hours then, just long enough for the blizzard to end. I personally wouldn't like it very much if my character instead decided to sleep for 8 hours in a row so that I only wake up late in the evening and need to cancel my hunting trip.

As long as there is no resting option (or another time speedup option other than sleeping), uncontrolled sleeping times would most likely be terribly annoying. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun idea and might add to the gameplay, but ONLY if we had some alternative way to spend our time while waiting for blizzards/fogs to end.

That may be true in real life but you're talking about when you're exhausted. Take Scyzara's scenario, you'd probably just woke up after a good night sleep. There is currently no way to spend the time until the blizzard is over other than sleeping (if you don't have any crafting/ repairing/ cooking etc to do) so you wouldn't sleep for 8 hours because your body decides it needs sleep.

In real life you wouldn't have to sleep in such a situation, you could do lots of things like sitting on the couch, reading a book or you could go to bed and set an alarm so you don't oversleep (could be an simple analog wind-up alarm clock that would still function despite the geomagnetic thingamajig). So unless resting is added to TLD, not being able to determine how long you will sleep will be rather annoying. And here we return to the balance between realism and fun gameplay once again.

It may not be very realistic that you can sleep for exactly as long as you want (although there are people who can do this, if they are not so tired that their body will decide differently of course) but it's also not realistic that you can't just rest by sitting down in a chair or something.

Agreed!

+1 for a resting option!

+1 for a resting option.

Resting should be the option to fast-forward time, like sleep does now, but with a much reduced restorative effect on fatigue, and a higher caloric and water consumption rate than sleep. Resting should allow you to control how long you wait precisely, and to stop resting by hitting the escape key.

I think if we had a resting option, making a "sleep until you aren't fatigued any more" mechanic becomes not only possible, but better than the current mechanic. Right now, I use sleep for 4 specific functions:

1. Restore fatigue
  2. Heal
  3. Pass time
  4. Warm up

Out of all of these, only the 1st and 2nd are really things that sleep should do. If I want to pass time in real life, taking a nap may be a possibility, but it comes with the possibility of oversleeping. And going to sleep when you are freezing should be a quick way to dying of hypothermia. In fact, trying to go to sleep (or stay asleep) while you are cold, but not freezing is also very difficult.

So, I would propose the following:

1. Going to Sleep
    1. You must be fatigued at least a little in order to go to sleep.
    2. You cannot have the cold condition
    3. Going to sleep with the freezing condition has a high likely hood of making you fade
    4. When you go to sleep, you sleep until you hit a "wake-up" condition.
      1. Wake-up conditions should include hitting the starving, dehydrated or cold conditions, or when your fatigue is zero.

The only other tweak that I think would need to be made, is to increase the amount of fatigue gain while the character is wounded or not at 100% condition. I would make this effect happen all the time, but to keep the effect of a wolf attack / freezing from snowballing, maybe it should only increase fatigue gain while resting. That way, even if you sleep / rest all day, you should be ready for another good night's worth of sleep if you are recovering from wounds.

I think this addresses all of the current uses of sleeping, and if I were freezing, would allow me to build a fire, and rest for 1/2 hour in front of it (if I'm too exhausted to boil water or something) in order to warm up enough to go to sleep. Same thing could be done without a fire, as long as the the player was inside and dressed warm enough to eventually warm up.

It would also make it easier to sleep, especially at low condition, because if something changes and you start getting cold, or you begin losing condition due to starvation or dehydration, you wake up, rather than simply fading.

Until the devs put in resting, then the current system needs to stand. However, once some form of resting is put in place then I think the sleeping system needs to be overhauled. They do a good job of it in Project: Zomboid. The player has various levels of being tired until they are basically useless. The more tired they are then the longer they sleep. You quickly discover waiting until you are dog tired to crash can impact your survival, as you can't wake up when Zeds are busting in your safe house. I waited until I was tired and then slept, worked a few hours and then slept again. This mimics what we use to do before the advent of electricity. It maximized by outdoor time when it was light and left improvement activities in between sleep cycles.

While TLD does not have zeds, the cold dark is a real enemy. Going outside is a fool's errand most of the time. We are also at a disadvantage against the predators who don't have any problems going outside anytime. So I mimic that same dual sleep pattern in TLD. I do a vast majority of my cooking and repairing between sleep cycles to maximize my light.

• 1 month later...
Until the devs put in resting, then the current system needs to stand. However, once some form of resting is put in place then I think the sleeping system needs to be overhauled. They do a good job of it in Project: Zomboid. The player has various levels of being tired until they are basically useless. The more tired they are then the longer they sleep. You quickly discover waiting until you are dog tired to crash can impact your survival, as you can't wake up when Zeds are busting in your safe house. I waited until I was tired and then slept, worked a few hours and then slept again. This mimics what we use to do before the advent of electricity. It maximized by outdoor time when it was light and left improvement activities in between sleep cycles.

While TLD does not have zeds, the cold dark is a real enemy. Going outside is a fool's errand most of the time. We are also at a disadvantage against the predators who don't have any problems going outside anytime. So I mimic that same dual sleep pattern in TLD. I do a vast majority of my cooking and repairing between sleep cycles to maximize my light.

+1 Great idea for a more immersive sleeping system. I highly support it after resting is added. :)

Also... Once it's added allow resting in porta potties and in outhouses. That is all.

Archived